Anxiety On Religion

Guest Amtoj

Ok. I am a Sikh who is currently suffering from mental health problems.

A while back I was in such severe depression that I wrote a contract to change my religion.

That was the beginning of my mental health problem.

Also, I followed numerous episodes that threatened my existence.

It seemed to me that I was becoming more and more schizophrenic every day until I calmed down around

August. Right now I feel like I have to follow through with my contract because I signed

my name on it. However, the therapist says that it just a distortion.

I guess that my biggest question is that is there any sikh brother or sister that is suffering through

the same distortions that I am suffering through?

Guest Gupt!!!

Fateh Singh

I cant say that i am going through the exact same thing but i do have mental health problems myself and can sympathise and do also struggle with sikhi... Do you have an account with SS, If not, I advise you make one, You can messege me.

Im sorry for whats happening to you

What the hell is going on with you? This life given to you, though short, is blessed, has many opportunities and failings of course. It's like you're threatening to change your religion, why? Go ahead and do it - who u waiting for, what do you want someone to give you the go ahead? Pm me

Even if someone is going through what you are how is that relevant to you or going to support you? You are here because you want help and I don't second that. I want to help but without presenting yourself or providing details i cant or nobody can. Life is full of ups and downs one wouldn't know how to judge a good experience without suffering a bad one. Life is what you make it. You ask anybody and they'll tell you 'ive got the worst family' or 'I'm always in arrears' or 'I'm financially inept' - something like that, everybody suffers with burden but its how you deal with it paji. Having the right support, links, friends helps.

look into your diet... keeping steady blood sugar and eating less inflamatory foods have a lot to do with mental disorders. theres a very cheap book called "nutrition and mental disorders.' for depression heavy exercise such as burpees early in the morning right away can kick up dopeamine and other useful brain stuff dopeamine has to do with hopefulness, self esteem, self advocast, things like that.. ive seen dramatic changes in my own life and in other peoples lives through simple exercise early in the morning and stabilizing blood sugar.
best of luck brother, know your not alone in these experiences

Guest Gupts!!

Paji You coyld try and check to see if you are allergic to anything. It is known that if you are it can cause chemical imbalances in your brain also. I know the episodes are messing with you and sikhi, but remember that they are two different issues. Try and tackle ech problem step by step.

You'll be in my prayers

@David i just thihnk youre being a little harsh, the guy is looking for support he doesnt need to be put down. Having a serious mental health issue is bad enough as it is

Fateh

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Work with your therapist and ask the therapist to give you a realistic expectation on what his/her plan is for you and be patient with it. Things like this take time to work through and your feedback to the therapist is vital to making the therapy work.

• Like 1

Hav u tried practicing gurbani properly, doing amrit vela etc? The world is so full of <banned word filter activated> that gurbani really is the only way forward- looking back now i really dont know how people live without Truth

I look in to my diet and I am mostly vegetarian. The main problem I am having is the following and I appreciate the support is that: I used to think that every word of the bani was a curse on me. My punjabi is limited so thus I thought that every verse and every word was negative. I eventually changed my mind as I became more and more educated and began to realize its meaning through the support of my parents.

The thing is that the chemical imbalances in my head had gotten to the point that I wrote a contract with myself to convert to another religion. I still remember the day. It was June 15, 2014. I had just come home from work all tense and uptight because of the psychiatric episodes I had that day, and all of a sudden signed my name on a piece of paper. Now I feel that I have to enforce that contract because I wrote it down, and I'm the type of person who takes written things seriously.

What do you guys think? I mean does anyone know of anyone who has gone through a similar problem? The reason why I ask is because my mind is always telling me that I am the only Sikh who has gone through this situation. I feel all alone. The days I am able to overcome that loneliness are my most productive days and the days that I am not are not so productive so that is why I ask.

Guest dasguruka

If you change your religion then does that guarantee that you will not die? Or it'd be different somehow?

Learn how to live in the Hukam of the Hukami. That's all there is. Definitely develop your Amritvela

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

If you are Amritdhari, you should seek the advice of the Punj Pyare on the action of signing that paper.

if you are not, then stop worrying about it and work towards what the other posters are saying. It is not a contract that holds up in any court of law and even in legal cases, if you are having mental issues, they do not consider that to be the proper state of mind to make any commitments.

To Amtoj, did ur therapist not ask where th paper is? So u still have the paper with it written on?

I'm not sure wat to say, but if I write something on paper that confirms something for me further, so I used to cross things I wrote out and rip up the paper and throw it away. I'm not saying thats wat u should do, but I felt better after and it helped me to think less about wat was on it. But u should go by wat ur therapist says, wat did they say about it, should u keep it or get rid of it?

Did they give u any relaxation techniques? If u are having problems still, go back to ur doctor and tell them.

Doctors have so many patients and so its up to us to go back and give them our feedback if something is not working so they can help with some other method.

Also get ur bloods checked that may cause some of these symptoms.

Hope it goes well.

Ps: there is one paji on here that knows about this field and is very helpful. Maybe talk to him?

• Like 1

To Amtoj, did ur therapist not ask where th paper is? So u still have the paper with it written on?

I'm not sure wat to say, but if I write something on paper that confirms something for me further, so I used to cross things I wrote out and rip up the paper and throw it away. I'm not saying thats wat u should do, but I felt better after and it helped me to think less about wat was on it. But u should go by wat ur therapist says, wat did they say about it, should u keep it or get rid of it?

Did they give u any relaxation techniques? If u are having problems still, go back to ur doctor and tell them.

Doctors have so many patients and so its up to us to go back and give them our feedback if something is not working so they can help with some other method.

Also get ur bloods checked that may cause some of these symptoms.

Hope it goes well.

Ps: there is one paji on here that knows about this field and is very helpful. Maybe talk to him?

I agree with Bhenji you need to go to your GP and get a full blood panel done, cos low vitamin D , B especially b12 and Iron can make the world a tough place to deal with, blood chemistry can make your mood good or bad plus affect your energy levels.

You are definitely not the only Sikh going through this. Like people from all backgrounds, there certainly are Sikhs who have gone through mental health issues and overcome them. The people I know of used their faith to assist themselves through the process. It was not instant and it was a struggle, but one day at a time and with the help of health professionals, they stabilized their lives. Remember that there will also be good people who are not Sikh that you can lean on for support.

With respect to loneliness, you, I, and 7 billion other people are ultimately lonely. Through faith in waheguroo we are one. One lonely glob of 7 billion. Integrate seva into your life to help those who feel lonelier than you and you will realize that loneliness is an illusion and one is the reality.

You have a real illness that can affect anyone. This is not your fault. It is probably very difficult to know which way to go at times. You seem to have a good therapist who is telling you what is a distortion. Trust that therapist and work with them as a team to separate reality from distortion.

Good advice above regarding the contract. If it helps ease your mind the contract is likely void because you did not have the requisite capacity required for the contract. Also contracts can always be voluntarily voided by parties (yourself) or revised. If you would feel better doing so feel free to void the contract or write a new contract in the presence of your therapist.

If you feel your mind is loyal to contracts, use that as a tool to make commitments to yourself for your health. Have your therapist be a witness to the contracts to ensure that you have proper capacity and they are wise contracts.

There is a way to live life when we are healthy. When you are trying to get healthier it is the same. Take one day at a time, enjoy small things, smile, laugh daily, mediate/simran, be kind and assist those who can use your assistance. Good advice above post about taking care of your body, mind and soul.

• Like 1