Does The Movie "chaar Sahibzaade" Really Deserve Such An Overhype?

SinghStation

^^^ comrade ajmer singh. Self appointed historian.

don't shoot the messenger ...it's true we need to look deeply at our pathetic need to have tasveers drawn up to be convinced of our Gurus and their piare Gursikhs ' Mahanta like the Hindus we are falling to icon worship . We need to contemplate our Guru deeply and understand their jeevan jaach and try to bring ourselves closer to Bani , our true guru and only rely on that to nourish our spirits

You do realize that these movies and such are how we learn about sikhi right

Mate ,

i learnt about our history by reading books when I was 9 and it was then that I was ready for amrit mentally , reading and understanding or even hearing the sakhian of our kaum's heere has that effect. Which films and pictures were around in the 1800s and most of the 1900s , did we not have poora Gursikhs then , mahapurakhs? It is a false need, these films, our Guru ji told us that telling sakhian/itihaas would be enough to transform us , I have felt it myself and I believe it , it is what gave me unshakeable trust in Guru ji in the face of violence and hardships, not films.

Plus do we really need shorthand reinterpretations of actual events by people ...or the truth of the matter?

Um..

So what you're saying is that we should all use a harder and less accessible way to learn Sikhi just because you claim you successfully did?

These movies are not complete, comprehensive guides to Sikhism, nor do they claim to be. They are just a way with which we learn about some important Sikh figures.

They encourage people to go out and learn about Sikhi, which is becoming more and more necessary due to the incompetence of modern Gurdwaras and Punjabi parents not emphasizing Sikhism like they used to.

Also, watching a movie is not icon worship, it's not even anywhere close to icon worship.

Why are you not online and able to access PDFs of all the major books on sikhi from your home?

No what I'm saying is the books are ALWAYS deeper and more complete in coverage than films , I mean look at the characterisation of Mata Gujri ji ... it was a weak sad old lady not the sherni who inspired all four sahibzahidey with sakhian and Bani. The shorthand of the battles , I believe they could have shown more faujan besieging and battling the Singhs I mean they managed to do that in Mulan and that was just multipliying iterations and overlaying (techniques from over a decade ago) . Our own sakhis show the daleree of the SIngh on the battlefield ....how can Sikh children believe sawa Lakh se ek Ladaun from this film ?? It has undermined some of the true nature of our shaheeds sacrifices and the overwhelming odds they fought. i.e. they made them too much like ordinary mortals.

I would have appreciated it more if the director could have been more true to the spirit and letter of the sakhis rather than diluting it down because he wanted to make them 'more believable/relatable'

OK since the film has come out I have noticed that smagams for Chaar Sahibzahidey shaheedi are using bajewa's creations to advertise them if that is not relying on manmade images , what is ? An Icon is an image of a holy person or deity for worship and how many people do you know who say that's 'Guru Nanak Dev ji' WRONG the magnifigance of Maharaj can never be captured by pen or paint only one can know Guru Nanak Dev ji through GURBANI.

I took my kids to Fategarh Sahib (and other dharmic asthaans including Anadpur Sahib) because I take our Shaheeds to be our older siblings and wanted my kids to know where and how and feel the energy of that place, that is how WE are supposed to do it , teach our own , then the families , then the neighbours, then the world ... It is doable because that how it was done in the past and has become necessary to do it this way because our responsibility is our responsibility not some granthi's or parchaarik's.

First off, you have to understand the target audience. It's meant for kids and teens , to show them that yes, there are interesting people in Sikhism. A large majority of the target audience wouldn't have noticed most of the errors in the movie. Sure, a book might be more detailed and marginally more accurate, but is it as easy to spread to the target audience?

Sure, we have many PDF's, but most of the language used in many of them is archaic and difficult to understand.

Literally no kid reads books nowadays, but everyone watches movies. Movies like "Chaar Sahibzade" convey Sikh history through a popular and modern medium, and yes, for the most part it is historically accurate.This film is a pretty amazing achievement and should be commended, not put down.

More mediums are never a bad thing..

Also, I want to address your point on idol worship. We definitely do use art to depict the Gurus, but no one actually says that, hey "This is Guru Nanak, right in this painting."

The paintings (and in this case, animations)are the author's depiction of the Guru, it is OF him, it is not Guru Nanak himself.

SIkhi is a spiritual and literary treasure and the sooner we encourage Gurmukhi and reading of Bani rather than pampering lazy tendencies in our kids the sooner our kaum will become stronger. In case you you don't know many many films have not been passed and those are the ones that try to stick to the truth , will you wait on the censor board to allow our kids to learn of their true heritage and nature, or make efforts yourself to learn and share ? The Government wants to weaken sikhi as it suits their agenda and they control ALL media in India and the censor board. We need to support our free press whether it is in the west or the east, and also projects that have produced high quality sakhis e.g. the Warrior Princess series .

I have seen too many sikhs standing with hands clasped in front of tasveers doing benti to pictures , we do not need 'markers' to focus on , bani is enough ...this dhil is encouraging people to slip back into Hindu like thought patterns . We should stay true to our gurus message.

why singhstation dissin the film >>>??

do we care who made it or the poiltics of film industry/>>>??

I couldant give a hoots>>>>>but young kids did some serious learnin by watching this film>>>thas ALL that matters in my eyez>>>not who's gettin the credits and wheres the ddosh>>>>

some warped thinkin singhs on here matey>>>>>>>