Why Do We Jap The "word" Waheguru?

Guest Gupt

Sadh Sangat Ji,

Why do we Jap (recite) Waheguru, as in the word Waheguru?

Where does this come from?

I'm very limited in my knowledge, i know WaheGuru Gurmantar Hai Jupp Haumai Khoee

But does this mean literally the word Waheguru is the Gurmantar i.e. we repeat the word Waheguru, or is it more the meaning of the word Waheguru is the Gurmantar i.e. praising God / Guru Ji, saying "Guru Ji is Waho!" is our Gurmantar instead of a ritualistic repetition of a word?

I know in Gurbani we don't take things at face value and that things mean more, have a deeper meaning so this is where this thought process has come from.

Views, explainations, insights appreciated!

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

In this, the verse from Vaaran Bhai Gurdas is to be taken at face value/literally. Vaheguru is the Gurmantar, and through its recitation, one will find relief from the ego.

Ritualistic repetition - recitation is not ritual, it is rememberance. If I was to say the word mother/mom/mummi/mataji/biji (whatever wordd you call your mother), your mind instantly connects to the thoughts and the being that is your mother. Similarly, by recitation of the Gurmantar, one connects to the Almighty and its continuous recitation keeps the person connected to the Almighty continuously.

If you want to know the thought process of Gurbani recitation of Gurmantar, you have only as far as to read Gurbani about Naam Simran, which is the very theme and basis of Gurbani. Recitation of Gurmantar = Naam Simran. It has stages, the first of which is recitation out loud. Gradually, the Simran internalizes more and more to where you become one with the Almighty.

Some information on this:

(referenced previously as this video is as concise as possible for such an in depth topic).