Did Bhagat Prahlad Ji And Dhruv Ji Ever Exist For Real In History Or Is It Mere Mythology ?

Pardza

I wonder sometimes how cool it must have been to be at that point in history(??) when god asked vishnu ji to take the form of half-man half-lion to save prahlad and when he shattered the pillar and rose from it .

How cool it must have been to see a devotee's faith come ripe !?

we don't see it happening thesedays ! too bad . so I am often forced to wonder , are all these mere stories or did these really happen ? after all gurbani does mention this epic too . So I don't think of it as nonsense . but did it really happen. I wonder . what do you think ?

Guest Jacfsing2

I wonder sometimes how cool it must have been to be at that point in history(??) when god asked vishnu ji to take the form of half-man half-lion to save prahlad and when he shattered the pillar and rose from it .

How cool it must have been to see a devotee's faith come ripe !?

we don't see it happening thesedays ! too bad . so I am often forced to wonder , are all these mere stories or did these really happen ? after all gurbani does mention this epic too . So I don't think of it as nonsense . but did it really happen. I wonder . what do you think ?

The story is half-mythology and half-true. The bani your talking about merely mentions they happened but not in the Hindu way. I believe one who serves the Satguru, (Nanak) is higher than Vishnu and all the demi-gods. What really happened from the Bani view was Vaheguru came instead of Vishnu to save them.

I myself credit the theory that some of the characters of Hindu myths were in fact pre-eminent figures in ancient Indian history whose stories became inflated and distorted over time so that the subjects progressed from hero to legend to myth, and finally, to god/demi-god.

Guru Sahib tells us that there are celestial beings in certain realms of the universe. That these beings are exactly as the Hindu texts describe them is quite unlikely. For example, what is a Krishna anyway? Maharaj tells us that millions upon millions of 'Krishnas' have come and gone, like worms. The simple utterance of this name is therefore by no means a validation of the tales surrounding the cowherd of Hindu myth who bore this title.

I myself credit the theory that some of the characters of Hindu myths were in fact pre-eminent figures in ancient Indian history whose stories became inflated and distorted over time so that the subjects progressed from hero to legend to myth, and finally, to god/demi-god.

Guru Sahib tells us that there are celestial beings in certain realms of the universe. That these beings are exactly as the Hindu texts describe them is quite unlikely. For example, what is a Krishna anyway? Maharaj tells us that millions upon millions of 'Krishnas' have come and gone, like worms. The simple utterance of this name is therefore by no means a validation of the tales surrounding the cowherd of Hindu myth who bore this title.

It's a-lot like the mention of millions of Brahma,Krishna etc. We don't need to think of them as the Hindu Devi/Devta. Brahma represents Creating, Vishnu is sustaining and Shiva is destroying. What it sort of alludes to is that there are beings of immense power who are capable of "creating" , "destroying" and "sustaining".

They don't run the universe, lol. Nor do they control it. Akaal Purkh does that. It's effect could be to explain what sort of powers other beings may possess compared to us.

It would be a-lot harder for the people to grasp the concept of just living things who could do these things rather than gods. So their mentioned to illustrate a point.

Most likely these figures did exist but their legends have been grossly exaggerated. Several times Guru Sahib has described a true "muslim" or a true "hindu" . Does that mean their accepting the worship of these beings? no.

To answer your question, don't strain whether they existed or not. Rather look deeper into what we can learn from them. There are factions who insist some of these events are used as a tool to explain a certain point, while others might argue they did exist.

Just learn from the lessons. Like aesop's fables, are we all really gonna sit here and wonder if a crane and a fox had a conversation with each other? or are we going to look past it and read what the lesson is.

Just focus on Gurbani and the message that Guru Sahib left.

To answer your question, don't strain whether they existed or not. Rather look deeper into what we can learn from them. There are factions who insist some of these events are used as a tool to explain a certain point, while others might argue they did exist.

That's the crux of this whole business. Maharaj isn't saying "That happened, they exist" when he mentions a Hindu god or their associated tale, but rather, "Who cares if even if it did happen?". Why turn your devotions upon these inconsequential and utterly unremarkable beings when you can simply worship the One who is even greater, who created these deities and whose immensity defies the limits of our imagination?

I'd compare the Hindu worship of these 'gods' instead of the Almighty to somebody walking down the street and finding a lovely piece of wrapped chocolate on the ground, and, obvious hygienic qualms aside, picking it up and throwing away the chocolate so that they could munch on the wrapper.