Sign in to follow this  
mrggg123

Sikhs Who Owned Land In West Punjab Before Partition 47

So I was talking to my family and I was always under the impression that they orignated from west punjab prior to 47, they were in areas such as lyalpur (now called fasialbad), montgomery (sahiwal), multan etc

But now I have been told that we originate from where we live now which is adampur and kurdhpur next to jahalandhar and that we used to migrate to different areas of punjab where there was nothing and build up the land to make it agricultural

I was just wondering did many sikhs do this? Or did most originate from where they came from before partition? My clan are aujla. Even though I dont believe in caste stuff, its just relevant to find out more about clans who used to do this and their history.

WJKK WJKF

• Like 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lailpur and Sargodha were canal colonies created by the British for Sikh soldiers. The original inhabitants were called Jaangli by the Sikh settlers. Sikhs had made this land into the most productive land in all of India. Sikhs here owned hundreds of acres of land per family. Sikh soldoers from all over Punjab were given land there.

The above info is based on what I have been told by my elders from Nanke side were are from Amritsar originally then got land in Lailpur and after partition moved back to Amritsar.

But besides the canal colonies there was already a large Sikh population of Sikhs in west Punjab. Lahoris, Sialkotis, Gujranwalias etc

Edited by Jonny101
  • Like 1

Lailpur and Sargodha were canal colonies created by the British for Sikh soldiers. The original inhabitants were called Jaangli by the Sikh settlers. Sikhs had made this land into the most productive land in all of India. Sikhs here owned hundreds of acres of land per family. Sikh soldoers from all over Punjab were given land there.

The above info is based on what I have been told by my elders from Nanke side were are from Amritsar originally then got land in Lailpur and after partition moved back to Amritsar.

But besides the canal colonies there was already a large Sikh population of Sikhs in west Punjab. Lahoris, Sialkotis, Gujranwalias etc

the original inhabitants were muslim? Also by junglee u mean hillbillies?

I dont think they meant it how we do today, perhaps the land they settled in was jungle type before they made it farming land.

Guest Jacfsing2

So I was talking to my family and I was always under the impression that they orignated from west punjab prior to 47, they were in areas such as lyalpur (now called fasialbad), montgomery (sahiwal), multan etc

But now I have been told that we originate from where we live now which is adampur and kurdhpur next to jahalandhar and that we used to migrate to different areas of punjab where there was nothing and build up the land to make it agricultural

I was just wondering did many sikhs do this? Or did most originate from where they came from before partition? My clan are aujla. Even though I dont believe in caste stuff, its just relevant to find out more about clans who used to do this and their history.

WJKK WJKF

People could have been from a totally different part of Punjab, (or even the greater subcontinent or even outside of India), that's mostly because in the past nobody needed passports and second there was no India before the British and Mughals came. Most Sikhs lived in undivided Punjab which also included Haryana and Himachal Pradesh and Western Pakistan. (They also weren't hillbillies in the way we think today).

yes Jaangli people were all Muslims. They were martial as well but no match for the Sikh settlers who were all war veterans. I searched online on a Punjabi dialect map and apparently there was also a Punjabi dialect called Jangli belonging to that area. So I guess that's why the original inhabitants of that ilaaka were also called Jaangli. I once asked an old Sikh man a few years ago who was from Sargodha and he also told me that the original inhabitants of that land were also Jaangli. He has passed away now.

My grand mother (Nani ji)who was born in Lailpur tells me that her mother and father settled in Lailpur from Amritsar. My Nana was also born in Lailpur and their family was also originally from Amritsar. They cleared the jugles and with a lot of hard work made that land productive. So they felt very sad when they had to leave such rich land during partition. After partition they were settled in Amritsar but in different villages not their village of origin. They settled in a house and village whose former occupant (Muslims) left for Pakistan. My Nanke recieved land that also included a Muslim graveyard and a Sufi shrine was right next to their house. Sufi shrine is still there but the graveyard got farmed over.

Edited by Jonny101
  • Like 1