I've Cut My Hair..i Don't Feel Anymore

Guest GuptForAReason

Guest Jaspal SIngh

Dear Brother

I had a similar experience i cut my hair in my early 20s and my father did not talk to me initially bit soon forgave me and loved me just the same soom aferwards.

I have recently kept my hair again and wearing a turban and wanting to take Amrit soon.

My point is you will know when the time is right for you to keep your hair and it has to be right reason out of love for your Guru. When you do this then there is nothing that will want you to harm your hair. I would advise you to learn about Gurbani and find out why Gursikhs do what they do, and maybe your love for Guru and Sikhi will grow and again and this time you would keep your hair for the right reasons. God bless.

J.Singh

Cutting your hair Is your own decision and God doesn't judge us for our choices. Your parents should have no say in your religious beliefs or practices that you choose, and if they are angry at you tell them that.

I fought for my freedom at home for years and eventually got it and it was a good feeling. Do what you feel is right and be true to yourself, you are free to do what u want that's the gift God gave us.

Cutting your hair Is your own decision and God doesn't judge us for our choices. Your parents should have no say in your religious beliefs or practices that you choose, and if they are angry at you tell them that.

I fought for my freedom at home for years and eventually got it and it was a good feeling. Do what you feel is right and be true to yourself, you are free to do what u want that's the gift God gave us.

Sounds to me you are either not a Sikh or born in a Sikh family and don't follow the religious beliefs. According to Sikhi God has set up a system to judge whether a person's actions are within the teachings of the Guru or done by the mind desires. A Sikh is only a Sikh if, he follows the teachings of the ten Gurus and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Anyone can live as they want, but this being a Sikh forum the person is not wanting secular advice. If the poster held your beliefs he would not even post here in the first place. He would feel satisfied with his decision and hold no doubts.

There is only one God. You have never met him to say what he will accept or deny or whether he judges. Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji is Vaheguru. Therefore we have the teachings of God and they don't agree with any of what you have stated. Your beliefs are your beliefs, but they can never be said to be the teachings of God. They may sound logical and rational to you and those who have similar values. When a person reads Gurbani and understands what God says the picture comes clear to follow the Guru's instructions, which includes to keep hair uncut.

Guest Guest

OP Here, i didn't want to tell me parents straight away that i've cut my hair. I still wear a dastaar to keep my head covered and have my dara. I told my parents last night if it was okay for me to cut my dari and they both looked at me like i had two heads?. The best thing they could say was 'what would other people say/talk, their boy was a singh now he's cut his dari'.

That's the only thing they had to say, i replied that I didnt feel it was right anymore, that i would keep my dastar and just trim my dara but it didnt help. All they could say was 'What would other people think?'.

I feel like i'm going mental and i can't be my own person!

OP Here, i didn't want to tell me parents straight away that i've cut my hair. I still wear a dastaar to keep my head covered and have my dara. I told my parents last night if it was okay for me to cut my dari and they both looked at me like i had two heads?. The best thing they could say was 'what would other people say/talk, their boy was a singh now he's cut his dari'.

That's the only thing they had to say, i replied that I didnt feel it was right anymore, that i would keep my dastar and just trim my dara but it didnt help. All they could say was 'What would other people think?'.

I feel like i'm going mental and i can't be my own person!

What's the point of cutting your hair if you don't disagree with Sikhi? Most people who cut their hair lose out on worldly and spiritual affairs. Those who are confident and have their Sikhi saroop and rehit in tact are more confident and are able to live life very well.

There is a deeper seated problem with your own personality that you need to address because you will never find any peace if you think cutting your hair will make it fine.

Sometimes parents are not able to explain in detail some important parts of religion. Therefore you should research yourself and find out the importance of religion and the meaning of why we do what we do.

Yesterday in the Guradwara the Giani Ji had a beautiful katha in which he explained to us that Guru Gobind singh Ji has given the Sikh his saroop. In the katha he talked about an uneducated person having approached a sangat where there were bhagats of shiv and Vishnu and the other Hindu gods or devas whom they worship. The sangat there was all honouring their bhagats in sanskrit saloks. This Sikh person who was short in height and sort of illiterate compared to the rest, went ahead and kept requesting some time to say what he wanted. Everyone was sort of sneering and wondering what he would say. They finally gave in and gave him 3 minutes to express himself. He then woke up and addressed the whole lot and asked them if they had the saroops of whom they worship? Does the Shiv bhagat have snakes around his head and other signs - of whom they actually worship?

The Sikh then told them that Guru Ji has given the Sikh his own saroop. Not only that - but Guru Ji himself knelt before the panj peyare and requested for Amrit from the same bhata which he had given them. This made the Guru the disciple and the disciple the Guru. This is the vadheyai which Guru Gobind Singh Ji has given to the Sikh. Ape Gur chela....

Up to this day, when we honour any 5 sikhs in our home - We have honoured Guru Gobind Singh Ji. There is no eleventh Guru.

The dastar is the roop which Guru Gobind singh Ji has given to each sikh. A Sikh person is supposed to stand out in front of all the others. People looked onto a person with a dastar as a saviour in the olden days. These sikhs were the ones who were armed and who were brave. They were the ones who saved the Indian continent from being taken over by the Afghans many a time. Sikh history is the only history is the world which is filled with the largest amount of sahdhis. Even Guru Gobind Singh Jis sons the shote sahibzadhe gave their lives but did not depart from the Sikh saroop. They did not go for worldly things like raaj, money and lots of izaat maan which they were being bribed with.

How were these people able to achieve all that? The greatest secret of all was Naam, They were doing lots of Naam jap and they were being guided on the right path with Naam. If you dont Naam jap, then you will not understand your religion. You will slowly kill your own soul and fall victim to mental diseases and physical illness.

Therefore OP for your own good, let us hope that you decide to make the basic steps of starting some Naam jap. This is the greatest medicine for all types of diseases. Obviously results do not show up straight away. You have to patiently keep taking this medicine to manage to make your way to peace and prosperity. The path you seem to be treading on at the moment does not seem to be a very good one as you may greatly upset your parents.

Any religious questions you may have I am sure will kindly be answered by sangat on religious sites. However you have to make the first steps towards Naam jap yourself.

When Guru Teg Bahagur Ji, the father of Guru Gobind singh Ji had sacrificed his life for the Kashmiri pandits, then his pavitar body lay there and no one had the guts to approach and take it up in the open to perform the sanskaar. This is when one devoted sikh Bhai Lakhi Shah, had managed to creep and get the body to cremate it in his house so that no one would know about it. Everyone was afraid of Auranzeb who was on the lookout for sikhs in order to persecute them. When Guru Gobind Singh Ji heard about this, he decided to create the Khalsa so that his Sikhs can be made distinct and stand out from the rest.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Lakhi_Shah_Vanjara

Lakhi Shah Vanjara

Bhai Lakhi Shah Vanjara was a devout Sikh who lived during the time of the ninth Sikh Guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur. He hailed from the Lobana community of Sikhs, who played an important role during the times of the Sikh Gurus. He was a trader and a contractor and supplier for the Mughal Army and supplied them with saddles, bridles(rakabs) and reins. He also traded in cotton, lime powder(chuna). He lived in Raisina village with his family. He had three sons, Hema, Nagahiya and Harhi and a daughter named Seeto bai.

Bhai Lakhi Shah was present in Delhi on 1675 when Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed at the orders of Aurangzeb. A dust storm had hit Delhi at that time and the Mughal soldiers ran for cover. Bhai Ude and Bhai Lakhi Shah had devised a plan to recover Guru Ji's body and he planned to bring several bullock carts loaded with cotton through Chandni Chowk at that time. The carts travelling at considerable speed blew more dust into the air, which added to the dust from the storm, adding to the chaos and further reducing visibility. At the risk of his own life, under the cover of darkness and in the dust storm, Bhai Lakhi Shah was able to remove the headless body of the fallen Martyr, with the help of his son Nagahiya, in a cart which was loaded with cotton, and carry it to his humble home. As it was too dangerous to openly cremate the body (the Mughals had planned to desecrate the Guru's remains and put them on public display) he did so by setting fire to his home, concealing the cremation of the Guru's body. At the same time, Bhai Jaita was on his to Anandpur Sahib with Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib's head.

Afterwards Lakhi Shah, accompanied by his companions, traveled to Anandpur to pay homage to Guru Gobind Singh and let him know that his father's body had been given the final rights.

Several key incidents in time of the ninth and tenth Gurus are attributed to the Lobana Sikh community. Baba Makhan Shah was a devout Sikh who was responsible for finding the ninthSikh Guru, (Guru Tegh Bahadur). The Lobanas fought in many battles with Guru Gobind Singh and Baba Banda Singh Bahadur.

Gurudwara Rakab Ganj Sahib in Delhi marks the site where once stood the house of this dedicated Sikh.