Guest BazSingh

Guest Jacfsing2

In regards to training only:

If you tie a decent patka, tight joora, and wear a wrestling cap you should be fine in BJJ/Wrestling/Sambo.

Even if you get choked/taken down it should hold up.

IF it doesnt, get on with it. Re tie it and get back into training. These small things shouldnt affect your participation.

We have this notion nowadays that we cant do this due to maryada etc etc.

How do you think singhs did in Jung? Worried about their dastaars? Or their lives.

My two cents and opinion.

No harm done.

Love to all.

Note:

And what would you recommend in an actual fight?

Guest BazSingh

A Patka etc is great if you are partaking in pre-planned training or fighting. However on a daily basis most Sikh's including myself wear a full dastar to work, out shopping etc.

I tie a full dhamalaa with 2 keskis under the main dastar, however I know for a fact that in a full grapple in a hand to hand fight it is very likely to come off, hence why I use clips to secure my kesh. The types of clips I use are just standard black clips, one on each side of the joora.

Each to there own however worth thinking about.

Seeing those videos has disturbed all of us. While the jurha opening was one factor. The other factors to consider is that those Sikhs did not know how to fight and physically they were not strong.

Just think about why Guru Sahibs all wanted Sikhs to do wrestling in mal akharas? It's because they wanted Sikhs to know how to fight and become physically strong.

Now how do we apply this to today's world is what we need to think about. For that we need to get mma/muay thai training while also doing such strength building exercises that will make us physically strong enough to take on more than one opponent at a time, for that I would highly suggest traditional Indian wrestlers exercises such as dands and baithaks and adding weighted pull-ups.do this for a month and see the difference it will bring in you. I have been doing these for years.

If you know how to fight and have gained the physical strength as I suggested, your kesh will no longer be your weakness. I once got into a fight with a guy. Even though my dastar came off and joorha got loose but I still beat the crap out of him. After that I always tied my kesh tight so it will not open in such a situation, but even if it does come off don't let it be your weakness. Fight dirty with a dirty opponent. In my case, I took out my Kada and put it in front of my left fist (I'm a lefty) and kept striking him on his face. His nose and mouth was all bloodied. Never spare the guy who touches the kesh. Fight with even more ferocity.