Weddings: An expensive affair for guests

Guest Jacfsing2
3 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

So better to opt for inaccuracy than work hard to arrive at specificity? You can't use a placeholder definition for brevity's sake whilst working on the true definition for later digestion. That's madness. Worldly means nothing. If it's a specific religious term that's fundamental to Sikh doctrine, it should have one definite meaning based on Sikh philosophy and teachings. An "it'll do" approach is the reason Sikhi in the West is being reshaped into a form that is at worrying odds with what's always been contained in scripture. In the next 20 or so years there'll be cries that the Sikh faith needs a reformation in order to bring it into the modern era, by people who can't even read Gurmukhi. What then?

I'm asking how would you explain stuff, not talking about Sikhs being lazy. And nowhere have I said Sikhi needs reformation, (but those who do call themselves Sikhs do need reformation), our people should be able to explain our faith if someone asked though.

21 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I'm asking how would you explain stuff, not talking about Sikhs being lazy. And nowhere have I said Sikhi needs reformation, (but those who do call themselves Sikhs do need reformation), our people should be able to explain our faith if someone asked though.

Dunno. Internet and stuff, man. Leaflets and tings. 

Just kidding, lol.

Guest Jacfsing2
51 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Dunno. Internet and stuff, man. Leaflets and tings. 

Just kidding, lol.

I was referring to Sikh kids having questions about Sikhi, but ok:waheguru:

16 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Bhen ji, if I'm being a hundred percent honest and not politically correct, a lot of what Sikh women (and women in general) do these days seems borderline demented to me. Sikh women look tasteless and garish at weddings to such an extreme that they even make xmas decorations look lacklustre (I'm not kidding here!)

It's like Panjabi Sikh women are completely oblivious of the idea of reserve and understatement when it comes to appearance. Even the makeup a lot of them wear wouldn't look out of place on Crusty the clown. Seriously. The bhen ji's from back home are the most guilty of this. 

Years ago I did this post-grad thing on psychology, and I remember a lecture on social psychology and the (female) lecturer did say (and quickly tried to move on from it...) that females were shown to be more susceptible to media and peer pressure than blokes (statistically speaking). I know damn well that the corporations use this type of research to design advertisement campaigns that are cleverly designed to manipulate the innate drives they've identified in women. 

Are women generally really that helpless in the face of these things? It's like when I see women watching television - seriously, it's like they are hypnotised! lol

I understand and agree that it is GOOD to look after yourself and make yourself presentable. But certain people routinely go mental with this. A lot of modern women appear to conditioned, consumerist sheep. There is some lack of balance going on.  

That's how it looks to me anyway. 

<Gets ready for feminist and gaylord backlash>

Thanks, I thought I was the only one that thought the dressing up and clown makeup goes OTT.  Your thoughts on the Xmas decorations and penjis from back home, are same as mine.