martian 'sikhs'? reality check

buddasingh

grin.gif

I need to prelude the subject with this paragraph for clarity on my viewpoint. There is a kind of mona 'sikh' that i respect as a sikh. I will describe a friend as an example. My mona friend who grew up in a sikh family and had his hair cut young believes that the only real sikh is a full fledged sikh. He loves sikhi and strives toward sikhi but will always admit that he is trying to be a sikh while the only ones who are actually sikh are those who adhere to all tenents of the faith. He does a great deal of public seva in defending the indentity of his brothers and sisters. I don't fully understand why he does not become keshdhari or go further to adopt a normal sikh identity, but i respect him a great deal nonetheless. Monas who do not have some variation of this viewpoint may as well be spitting on their ancestory.

Now for the topic...

Can anyone tell me what's up with older guys in patkas, cap like covers, or beard trims with dastar, etc. For some young teenagers there are sometimes the usual growing pains and discovering identity, but a healthy person should get past that once nearing their 20s and be able to make a decision to be a sikh or not to be.

Does anyone know the views of any of these people personally? I'm sure they are good people so this is not what i'm asking. I am far from perfect, but this is beyond imperfection, it's seems to be a psychological illness, (not as insult but with respect), for someone who in their minds identifies as sikh.

Are they extre

mely insecure? Do they have psychological issues and low self esteem arising from racism? Is it possible that some never really read a book or never developed the intellectual capacity to understand the basic tenets of the identity they profess?

I have greater respect for someone who says sikhi is not for me rather than someone who treats it as a caste birthright only to denigrate it's image.

Maybe, as lovingly as possible, they need the following reality check… Who needs enemies, name calling, oppression, or racism from the outside when you have walking talking pronouncements of self-hatred within!!

I need to prelude the subject with this paragraph for clarity on my viewpoint. There is a kind of mona 'sikh' that i respect as a sikh. I will describe a friend as an example. My mona friend who grew up in a sikh family and had his hair cut young believes that the only real sikh is a full fledged sikh. He loves sikhi and strives toward sikhi but will always admit that he is trying to be a sikh while the only ones who are actually sikh are those who adhere to all tenents of the faith. He does a great deal of public seva in defending the indentity of his brothers and sisters. I don't fully understand why he does not become keshdhari or go further to adopt a normal sikh identity, but i respect him a great deal nonetheless. Monas who do not have some variation of this viewpoint may as well be spitting on their ancestory.

firstly, moona and sikh do not go together. because, in the words of maskeen, your not a sikh until you have taken amrit, then after that can you be a singh, "sikh pehla, singh baad". where is this moona from? jio, is this persons whole family proper amritdharis? or just moonas? because even i would wonder why this moona would not take amrit if he had a family of gursikhs. but say if they werent? how do you know his family is not stopping him? how do you know he is thinking about the high chance of racial discrimination in his class (or workplace) and how he knows the school of his will not tackle the problem "

unless they provoke this bully even more", how do you know hes staying away from all this because of eprhaps the chances of not getting into a good job, or the fact he will not want to take amrit because of the fact he may be whey too kaami or krodhi etc and as a result does not deserve to wear the paag?

well, thats just a few examples.

gustaphi maaf