books on Punjab 80s 90s

Guest Punjab84

Guest Punjab84

Are there any good books in English that i can read about the situation in Punjab back in the 80s 90s , about the fake encounters by the punjab police etc 

I am currently reading "Fighting for Faith and Nation: Dialogues with Sikh Militants" but i want to know more. I only knew about Operation blue star before, i didn't know that there was so much more that happened.  I had that book for a while but never actually read it i only decided to read it a couple of days ago. 

Guest Jagsaw_Singh

Brother, there's only one book you need and that is 'Who Are the Guilty ?' published in 1984 by the indian human rights commission.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-are-guilty-inquiry-November/dp/B0000CQDDB/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517927435&sr=1-3&keywords=who+are+the+guilty

That book gives the names and addresses of the murderers that massacred Sikhs on the streets of Delhi. I stopped about 5 years ago because there was nobody left to chase but when I was 21 and had just finished my Law degree I thought I'd put the legal concept of 'trace and chase' to good productive use. Realising that the Indian businessmen that were behind the massacres (named in the book) were besharm people who could not be shamed, could not be arrested and could not be tried I realised the only way to hurt them would be through their wallets. They had/have no shame so it's only through their bank balances that you can hurt them. For years and years, night after night,  I investigated what companies those killers owned in Delhi and then who they distribute / supply. I found so many of them owned  business that supplied major American retailers. Every time I found a  major American retailer who was getting supplied from a company owned by any of these killers I wrote to their corporate head office asking how buying from genocide killers fitted in with their published ethics policies. In subsequent sentences I asked how shareholders would react when the press are made aware.  Like genocide killers, the bottom line for retailers is also money. Once they realised the impact it would have on reputation , i.e money, these retailers always dropped those companies from Delhi. For years and years I hounded those killers and made their life a misery, continuously getting their contracts cancelled. But then, a few years ago, the trail blew cold. I'm sure many of those killers are still alive but it became increasingly difficult to tie them with specific companies. Not just you...every Sikh on earth should have that book.

On 05/02/2018 at 12:47 AM, Guest Punjab84 said:

Are there any good books in English that i can read about the situation in Punjab back in the 80s 90s , about the fake encounters by the punjab police etc 

I am currently reading "Fighting for Faith and Nation: Dialogues with Sikh Militants" but i want to know more. I only knew about Operation blue star before, i didn't know that there was so much more that happened.  I had that book for a while but never actually read it i only decided to read it a couple of days ago. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fighting-Faith-Nation-Contemporary-Ethnography/dp/0812215923