Read the Play for Yourself

jagjit_waheguru

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Pyare jio, I spoke on sikhsaagar and amritbani phone in shows yesterday. It was amazing the mass ignorance of so many UK sikhs about this issue. But this is being changed by the radio phone in shows. Now if the play is set in London, many more elders and women will also protest.

On the phone in yesterday, a young bibi from leicester spoke really well. We need many more young bibian speaking. They have a softer image, much better than middle-aged men, and the fact they are offended show we do not have anything to hide, as has been suggested in some press.

One Councillor from Birmingham also spoke really well, his name was Mr Atwal. He has seen the show and went through it bit by bit. Can Aman put that interview on website?

He said the scenes are in the darbaar sahib, which has a palki and chaur sahib in background, where the rape occurs. Ik Onkaar symbol is used, and Mr sandhu has dressed as an Amritdhari. Also homosexuality and peodohilia by Mr Sandhu as shown from scene above.

Two bibian are also shown stealing shoes, rather than what we see every week, where bibian are langar and joorian de seva.

I personally now thing we should stop worrying about being protrayed as muslims, but instead we should say what is right. We are really offended by this, and will protest no matter how much more attention it gets. No turning back or backing down now. Let them bring it London, and with Guru maharajs kirpa, thousands will protest!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

This article was in the Times today. Not sure if it the Birmingham politics getting out of hand, or something more siniter at a higher level. But we one vioce and unity. Do not break ranks and start b;laming each other. Keep personal disputes aout of press.

Courtesy - The Times 22/12/04

December 22, 2004

Extremists hijacked play protest

By Sean O’Neill and Nicola Woolcock

THE violence that forced the cancellation of a controversial Sikh play was caused by militant extremists who aligned themselves to the protest, organisers claimed yesterday.

The Sikh community fears that its reputation has been tarnished by the trouble at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre, which led to the play Behzti (Dishonour) being abandoned.

The Times has learnt that members of the Sikh Federation were among the demonstrators on Saturday night. The group was formed in the aftermath of the banning of the International Sikh Youth Federation under the Terrorism Act 2000. The ISYF is committed to the creation of an independent Sikh state in India and, according to the Foreign Office, has been involved in assassinations, bombings and kidnappings, mainly directed against Indian officials and interests.

The Sikh Federation maintains that it is separate from the ISYF, with a new constitution and an agenda of promoting Sikh interests in Britain. It said that strict disciplinary arrangements would apply to the members who brought the organisation into disrepute “by working outside the legitimate activities of the organisation”. It added: “The ultimate sanction against a member will be expulsion.”

>

Kulwinder Sing Johal, from Leicester, a member of the federation, said he was pleased that Behzti had been withdrawn and confirmed that members of the federation had been involved in the campaign against the play.

“There was no violence, it has been exaggerated,” he said. “A window was smashed, but we don’t know if that was done from the outside or the inside.”

Amrik Singh Gill, chairman of the federation, said his members were involved in the campaign from the beginning and denied they played any part in violence. “They were all peaceful people and were there to protest peacefully,” he said. “I condemn the violence.”

West Midlands Police, who arrested three demonstrators and are trying to identify others, are investigating whether the violence was pre-planned.

Sewa Singh Mandla, the chairman of the council of Sikh Gurdwaras in Birmingham who organised the campaign against the play, said he was dismayed that it had been dropped in the face of the weekend violence. He said that, as the play received more media attention, a host of organisations were jostling to become involved. “The Sikh Federation is just jumping on the bandwagon,” Mr Mandla said.

“They are a group of militant people who just want to stir up problems around us.”

Mr Mandla had hoped that the play might have been altered to change the setting of controversial scenes involving rape and murder from a Sikh temple to a community centre.

He added: “I knew what the feeling would be if it got into the public domain — anything could happen. There would be demonstrations and every community has hotheads and, once they turn up, I would find it very hard to control them.

“I was at pains to tell people that the protest had to be peaceful. When it became national news, people came from Leicester, Leeds, London and Manchester. When it became violent, I was pushed and jostled by people. They called me a sissy and told me to resign.

“There was a peaceful group of people reciting prayers i

n the corner. Others who were chanting were the ones who burst into the theatre. Some of them did not seem to be Sikhs.

“The play has been taken off but the reasons why sadden me. It’s not conducive to good community relations.

“I would like to apologise on behalf of the Sikh community to all the people who had to be evacuated from the theatre on Saturday. It was just a small faction which got out of hand.”

Sukhjinder Singh, from the Sikh Secretariat, an advisory body, said the different community groups needed to examine how they could have better organised their protest. “Nobody is saying this is a fantastic victory for the Sikh community,” he said. “A legitimate protest was marred by violence.”

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Pyare jio, also in Todays Times paper - not sure how reliable it is -still need to concentrate on London theatre.

Second theatre cancels Sikh play

A theatre boss has abandoned his plans to stage a controversial play that another venue pulled because of violent protests. Neal Foster, the actor-manager of the Birmingham Stage Company, offered to put on Bezhti after the Birmingham Repertory Theatre cancelled further shows on Monday. Sikh protesters demonstrating against the play's depiction of rape and murder in a fictional temple were involved in disturbances at the venue on Saturday

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

the deabte in the Times paper - note how all of Gurpreet Bhatti friends and supporters are hindus.

Letters to the Editor

December 22, 2004

'Offensive' play withdrawn after protests by Birmingham's Sikh community

From the Co-Founders of The Three Faiths Forum

Sir, While we unreservedly condemn the use of violence by any section of the community and regret the injuries inflicted on policemen going about their lawful duties, we must also express our concern at the decision of Birmingham Stage Company to pick up where Birmingham Repertory Company showed sound judgment and to stage a play which is not only offensive to the Sikh community, but to all other religious faiths as well (reports and leading article, December 21) .

It is not difficult to understand that the depiction of obscene acts taking place within a Sikh holy place is hateful and provocative to members of that faith. It would be no less so for Christians, Muslims or Jews were the setting to be a church, mosque or synagogue.

Whatever the message intended by the offending play, it can surely be set within a context other than a place sacred to the Sikh community, and we hope Birmingham Stage Company will not decide to perform the play without considering amendments which will take account of the feelings of the Sikh community. This is not a request for censorship but a plea to show sensitivity — something surely not beyond the skills of the artists concerned — and to desist from religious harassment and deliberate provocation.

Yours sincerely,

SIGMUN

D STERNBERG,

M. A. ZAKI BADAWI,

MARCUS BRAYBROOKE,

The Three Faiths Forum,

80 East End Road, N3 2SY.

December 21.

From Rabbi Dr Jonathan Romain

Sir, Despite recognising the genuine pain of the Sikhs protesting against the Behzti play in Birmingham (and Christians who objected to the Beckhams in the Madame Tussaud’s Nativity, Jews who campaigned against Jim Allen’s Perdition and Muslims upset by Salman Rushdie’s The Satanic Verses), I fear that censorship would be the greater evil.

I would prefer to be the victim of error and insult if that was the occasional cost of free speech, biting satire and brutal self-criticism.

No one likes being maligned or lampooned, but being gagged is even worse. This is not to be anti-religious but pro-democracy. I remain committed to my own tradition, interfaith harmony and the right to infuriate anyone.

Yours faithfully,

JONATHAN ROMAIN,

Maidenhead Synagogue,

Grenfell Lodge,

Ray Park Road,

Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 8QX.

December 21.

From Ms Clare Gorst

Sir, I was one of the few non-Asian protesters at the demonstration outside Birmingham Repertory Theatre last Saturday.

The opposition to the production was generated not by a desire by the Sikh community to curtail freedom of speech but by sanctity besmirched. The play takes place within a gurdwara, which houses the living Guru. If you imagine a play depicting a priest engaged in an act of sexual depravity during the Consecration of the Eucharist in Westminster Cathedral, you find a reasonable comparison.

Most of the media have sensationalised the mood of the protest. I was there in the company of mothers, grandmothers and children. There was no atmosphere of malevolence and no anticipation of violence.

What occurred was neither condoned nor incited by Sikh community leaders. Most of us left without any knowledge that damage had been caused.

Whilst the handful of Sikh men who were arrested must consider their

responsibility for it, the media must not be complicit in promoting the very misunderstandings that caused this controversy.

Yours faithfully,

CLARE GORST,

44 Bull Street,

Harborne, Birmingham B17 0HH.

claregorst@compuserve.com

December 21.

From Mr Arun Arora

Sir, This is not the first time that the Birmingham Repertory Theatre has put on a play which criticises or questions organised religion.

The Rep’s 2003 production of David Hare’s Racing Demon, which asks searching questions of the Church of England, was staged with full co-operation from the Diocese of Birmingham, with representatives from the Church involved in briefing the cast and in assisting with after-show discussions.

As an acquaintance of Gurpreet Bhatti I had the opportunity to read the play Behzti some months ago; it seeks to highlight the hypocrisy of institutionalised religion, and it is essential to the message of the play that it be set in a gurdwara.

It was clear that the play had the capacity to cause serious offence. I made the playwright and the Rep aware of this and both sought to consult widely with the Sikh community prior to staging the play.

It is clear to me that no changes were made to the play after the consultation and I believe that the theatre underestimated the depth of reaction that the play clearly had the capacity to provoke. The issue is not free speech or censorship. Rather it is a matter of religious sensitivity and respect.

Yours faithfully,

ARUN ARORA

(Director of Communications,

Diocese of Birmingham, 2000-04),

Cranmer Hall,

St John’s College,

5 South Bailey, Durham DH1 3RJ.

arun.arora@durham.ac.uk

December 21.

From Mr Rupert Stubbs

Sir, You assert (leading article, December 21) that “religions deserve the respect of non-believers just as they inspire reverence in their followers”.

I think this is dangerous nonsense, implying that the more fanatical a following an idea or belief has, t

he more it should be protected from ridicule.

I reserve the right to choose which beliefs get my respect, and I have to say that Sikhism as practised in Birmingham has profoundly failed that test.

Yours faithfully,

RUPERT STUBBS,

Somerton House,

30 Upper East Hayes, Bath BA1 6LP.

rupert.stubbs@resourceful.co.uk

December 21.

Same goes for the ignorant, racist and heavy handed police! Behind closed they virtually admit to their actions which led to trouble, but would never say it to the public face! Can u believe that, they actually dnt deny that they were wrong in the way they treated protestors during the week, and on sat also before the trouble started!

One officer was heard saying to around 5 others.... 'I wish i could spray (cs gas) all of these .... (not audible)'. when the singh asked him to repeat... he refused and so did his work mates!! but didnt have the balls to look the singhs in the face when they asked them to deny saying that comment!!!

As one singh said, if these people want to segregate us and drive wedges, then cool, f*** them!! tell the police to p*** off next time they want to visit the gurdwara, seriously. Tell the police that we have had enough of both you and the fu***d up media, so both of u can go screw!

There is a element in the police who are racist.

In my dealings with police I have seen how ignorant etc they really are.

Best way to deal with this is to start getting a foothold on various QUANGOS, committees etc. Please do not think sit back. Join political parties en masse so like the Muslims have done in Birmingham. You are able to get a major block vote when it comes to selecting candi

dates etc.

It does not cost much to join a political party and you do not even need to go to any of the boring local meeting they have.

Please dont sit back. Join political parties and make yourselves heard.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

pyare jio, in todays The Express - 22/12/04

Second theatre cancels Sikh play

A theatre boss has abandoned his plans to stage a controversial play that another venue pulled because of violent protests.

Neal Foster, the actor-manager of the Birmingham Stage Company, offered to put on Bezhti after the Birmingham Repertory Theatre cancelled further shows on Monday.

Sikh protesters demonstrating against the play's depiction of rape and murder in a fictional temple were involved in disturbances at the venue on Saturday.

Bosses decided to abandon future performances on safety grounds because faith leaders said they could not ensure there would not be a repeat of the violence.

Mr Foster said he, too, was pulling out following a request by the play's author, Gurpreet Kaur Bhatti.

He said: "The plan I came up with was to invite theatres across the country to read the play and discuss it afterwards, to have a debate so there was more understanding about the whole issue.

"I was proceeding with these plans until I received a request from the author."

The request was made because of the "increased threats" to her safety, said Mr Foster, who also said he had received several threatening phone calls.

It has been reported that Ms Kaur Bhatti is in hiding after receiving death threats because of the play's subject matter, which Sikhs claim demeans their religion.

Sikh community leaders in Birmingham and elsewhere welcomed the Rep's decision to cancel the three-week run because of the offence they believed it caused to their faith. But it

was criticised in many quarters as effectively censorship and the stifling of free speech.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

In earlier posts, I was promoting that respect should be given to Mr Mandla, and to give him a chance in this matter. Now I must say that my view has completely changed. I think it is despicable that he should go in the National Press to advance himself at the expense of other Sikh Organisations such as Sikh Federation. All groups are Panthic and do as much seva as possible in their respective fields. But to accuse the Sikh Federation of being hot-heads, trying to steal the limelight and being violent extremists is frankly not acceptable.

If he had problems with the violent few, he did not have to mention any specific group, rather the violence could have been condemned generally.

This is exactly what was NOT needed; Sikhs need to show unity across the board, not division.

Bhuk Chuk Maaf

Waheguru

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

In earlier posts, I was promoting that respect should be given to Mr Mandla, and to give him a chance in this matter. Now I must say that my view has completely changed. I think it is despicable that he should go in the National Press to advance himself at the expense of other Sikh Organisations such as Sikh Federation. All groups are Panthic and do as much seva as possible in their respective fields. But to accuse the Sikh Federation of being hot-heads, trying to steal the limelight and being violent extremists is frankly not acceptable.

If he had problems with the violent few, he did not have to mention any specific group, rather the violence could have been condemned generally.

This is exactly what was NOT needed; Sikhs need to show unity across the board, not division.

Bhuk Chuk Maaf

Waheguru

Well is he lying ? I think not. The peaceful protests were hijacked by a few who have now tarnished the image of Sikhs as trouble makers.

The federation themselves have said they will take action against members who were involved in the action.

Mr Mandla, has really done no favors for himself or the community in general, these elders should really get some young media savy advisors by their sides when dealing with the press. Pity I don't live in that area otherwise I would have been the first to help him out.

Ok i've made a phone call to the press office, and sent letters and emails to the telegraph for their biased one sided reporting of this case.

If you feel the same please contact them, and please be polite,diplomatic and remember to spell check if your sending emails or letters. Thanks :wub:

=====================

Press Office

You can contact the Press Office at:

Press Office

Telegraph Group Limited

1 Canada Square

Canary Wharf

London E14 5DT

Tel 020 7538 5000

Fax 020 7513 2512

email: corporate.affairs@telegraph.co.uk We can only respond to media queries on this email address and are unable to deal with general requests. If you are a reader, please call 020 7538 7676. We do not receive press releases at this address. Please send them through to the relevant section of the newspaper.