Indiatimes and Star TV Insults Sikh Women and

This is the response to an article in the FEMINA magazine December 2004 issue- I Say, “Fake Hair for Stupid Sardarnis” .It does seem that the heading of this article is written by the editor. The term author and editor could be replaced by either which ever is applicable.

Am I Stupid?

Rajbir Singh

Am I stupid because I have hair? There is no dictionary in the World which links hair and stupidity. What is the reason a Kirat Kaur, a Sikh (Sardarni) is being called “stupid”? She could be battling between her respect for tradition, parents and the values system she is exposed to at large. These choices could confuse any person. Whatever the reasons for this perplexity, no individual has the right to judge, and derogatorily at that, any individual and community. It is a shame to read such superficial and demeaning remarks in a magazine of stature in an age like today. Let us explore the reasons for why this is happening and to address the “hair” issue for a better understanding. The endeavor is to encourage people to be more respectful and sensitive to others around them.

When the heading says that all Sikhs, who respect long hair are stupid, the person is saying that Sikhs are “dull”, “slow witted”, crass and unintelligent. Implying that the editor is sharp, intelligent and therefore superior. When ever one judges the other as lower than themselves it certainly is an elevating feeling, seems as thou the editor felt so while giving the article such a heading.

The editor appears to feel that Sikh tradition is subordinate or inferior to their tradition, amongst others. Unfortunately, before embarking on such a judgment, no one seems to have taken the trouble to kno

w or understand Sikhism and it's heritage. No individual has the right to judge a race or culture. Such wanton acts of public persecution of a people are certainly ill placed. Sikhs are stupid because they have hair? This is a racist remark. The mind set certainly seems to be of social dominance and subjugation. The editor can take refuge under the approach that ‘stupid’ is used for some Sikhs, who are confused about their hair, but this hardly seems to be an excuse at all. The article reflects the confusion and pressure on an individual like Kirat Kaur. It needs to be appreciated and not mocked at. In fact there should be a sense of concern.

A culture brings with it a value system, certain outlook to an attitude to life. Nothing in a culture is singularly removable and unaffected by its totality. No one can choose to say what in a culture is “foolish”, or absurd. It is not possible in the dynamism of life to ever say surely that diverse cultures are useless and unimportant? Just to make an analogy. This is like saying; “there are so many species in the World, so what if a few die?” We learn from (a system of finding a solution to diseases from plant and animal life) “bio prospecting” that every plant and animal in the world can be a possible solution to a life threatening disease and so important. Thus a need for all of us is to respectfully preserve every attitude and approach of life and let it evolve in its freedom without trying to dominate it. When a person shows disrespect to any other culture then the individual is showing disrespect to one’s own culture also. Where and how will we draw the line between others and ourselves? Is all creation not interconnected? The temperature of the poles controls the balance of my life in my home. The other and us somewhere overlap and with the death of the other a part of me also dies. If we want to preserve ourselves let us preserve and respect others like ourselves or dooms day is here, don’t wait for it.

Across cultures the sense of beauty is d

ifferent. For girls in Africa it would be thick lips and in China small feet and so on. In western culture long hair is not considered good and that has crept its way into defining its concept of beauty. US culture is now penetrating every continent through the dramatic growth of mass communications. We see actresses bleaching their hair and actors getting the ‘US’ boy look in India, the effects of a cultural incursion. A Sikh grows up under the influence of all this and more, Sikh jokes, Sikhs being portrayed as jokers in movies etc. Facing an onslaught of Indian as well as the Western culture. All this put together does convey that hair is not a ‘cool’ look to have. So individuals like Kirat cut hair so that beauty can be defined in terms of the dominant culture. What if it does happen? Will it stop there? How much more of herself will she have to change? Kirat Kaur is seeking acceptance but what all this will end up doing is leave nothing of her self with her. What Kirat has gone through is the story of many Sikh youth. They are facing difficult conditions. But one can blame others to a point. The responsibility cannot be completely transferred to one section or generation. The task of the youth like Kirat and other Sikhs around her gets multiplied. For Kirat this seems to be a problem as well as an opportunity. She can find her identity, the root of her confusion and through it maybe a key to life’s meaning. We all need to pray for this.

Let’s explore the “Hair” issue. Pilgrims to the Tirupati temple in Andhra Pradesh, India, donate a tonsure of their hair as a gift. Every year an estimated 6.5 million people make donations of their hairs. The act of shaving one’s head to propitiate God - is a long-standing ritual associated with Tirumala. As per the Vaishavite tradition, devotees offer their hair to the Lord, which symbolizes effacing of the ego. Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are depicted with different hairstyles. The former often have hair that is short and tightly curled to the head with a vertical exte

nsion - sometimes in the form of a bun, sometimes pointed (ushnisha). The bun was traditionally associated with royalty but in a Buddhist context, it indicates the Buddha's wisdom. Bodhisattvas, in contrast, have long hair tied up in knots at the back of the head in a chignon. Such long hair is an indication of their attachment to the world. Monks and saints (arhats) are shown with shaved heads, indicating their renunciation of the world.

These are connections between hair and spirituality in religions other than Sikhism. If the importance of hair in Sikhism is rubbished then it raises questions about other religion’s attachment with hair? Are we willing to do that? If the emotional commitment of Sikhism to hair is questioned then all these religions and their rituals are also questioned. Why do people of other religions remove their hair if they are not important and not connected with spirituality? Why do people go to Tirumallai to remove their hair? Hair, in the cases above is linked with a spiritual ritual, which is why people go and sacrifice them in a spiritual place. So if the connection is there removing hair is one way to show it and preserving them is the other way. These opposite expressions are not without reason. In Buddhism renunciation is the path and so its followers sacrifice their hair in Sikhism “acceptance” (Hukam) is the way of life, seeking truth whilst living in the World. So Sikhism practices preserving hair. Hair is a part of creation’s (Hukam) order and need to be respected, as does all creation.

Kirat talks of rebellion; Religion is the most rebelling thing in the World. In a World full of confusion and falsehood, religion offers truth and clarity as the ultimate rebellion-The rebellion of Socrates, Mansur Al Hallaj, Diogenees the Cynic, Gautam the Buddha, Jesus of Nazareth, Guru Tegh Bahadur and Sahib-e-Kamaal Guru Gobind Singhji. Religion when lived gives an expression to inner emotions, giving a vibrant freedom. Freeing us from looking at oneself through the other’

s judgment of us. Just think about it Kirat never really got accepted; the acceptance was prompted by her change. Any new change in her could become unacceptable to others. If one lives like this how uncertain and fearful life would become? Religion can give an awareness of ‘who I am’ freeing oneself from the need of endorsements of others. By the way life is viewed one can be free of a lot of pressures. In a way this is what Kirat is seeking- freedom. Spirituality is the ultimate freedom.

A media, which adds it own subjective judgments and tries to guide an article to impose its own preferences, becomes irresponsible and partisan. Such a media is not free but a motivated media. It is hoped that the editor can reflect the next time around and consider the issues at hand. I recognize that “sensationalism” is a tool for the media. Maybe Sensationalism is indispensable when what is being conveyed has no real meaning. Seems to be a very short-term and negligent method of promoting oneself? The media is a protector of individual sentiment not a plunderer of it or maybe I am barking up the wrong tree. It would be appreciated if the editor’s comments were conveyed, so it is understood if more needs to be done to make this perspective appreciated.

This is the response to an article in the FEMINA magazine December 2004 issue- I Say, “Fake Hair for Stupid Sardarnis” .It does seem that the heading of this article is written by the editor. The term author and editor could be replaced by either which ever is applicable.

Am I Stupid?

at is being conveyed has no real meaning. Seems to be a very short-term and negligent method of promoting oneself? The media is a protector of individual sentiment not a plunderer of it or maybe I am barking up the wrong tree. It would be appreciated if the editor’s comments were conveyed, so it is understood if more needs to be done to make this perspective appreciated.

united.gif well everything that dear Phaji has said has sumed it all up

I am a Sikh girl and im proud of having my beautiful long hair. I would never change it for anything or anybody in this world, and those who think having long hair is stupid well they must be insecure about themselves to feel the need to find something in someone else around them to call stupid to try and feel secure about themselves.

:wub:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• 2 weeks later...