Feeding the poor

Ranjeet01

The Christians remember the poor and homeless during Xmas and then forget for the rest of the year.

The Muslims remember the poor and homeless during Ramadan and then forget for the rest of the year.

We Sikhs remember the poor and homeless all year round.

The Muslims helps a non Muslim so he can convert them.

A Christian helps a non Christian so he can convert them.

We Sikhs help non Sikhs with no strings attached.

Big difference 

On 4/13/2023 at 7:28 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

The Christians remember the poor and homeless during Xmas and then forget for the rest of the year.

The Muslims remember the poor and homeless during Ramadan and then forget for the rest of the year.

We Sikhs remember the poor and homeless all year round.

The Muslims helps a non Muslim so he can convert them.

A Christian helps a non Christian so he can convert them.

We Sikhs help non Sikhs with no strings attached.

Big difference 

Many Christian and Islamic orgs help ppl throughout the year, e.g Salvation Army, Red Cross

Conversion reason is true though as seen in Punjab with Christians

8 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

I was at the Gurdwara yesterday and it seems like we are feeding ourselves too much! 

It looked like a who's who of diabetes and heart attacks waiting to happen.

Punjab is the fattest state in India. It seems we just like putting everything in our mouths whether it is food, alcohol or drugs. 

If you come to the gurdwara during the week and have Langar, then it is basic.

The problem is the programmes people have over the weekend like Sukhmani Sahib path and Akhand Path for birthdays etc.

It becomes a social event and people think it's a restaurant. 

Gurdwaras need to put their foot down and tell people straight simple Langar and none of these 5 extra desserts.

58 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

If you come to the gurdwara during the week and have Langar, then it is basic.

The problem is the programmes people have over the weekend like Sukhmani Sahib path and Akhand Path for birthdays etc.

It becomes a social event and people think it's a restaurant. 

Gurdwaras need to put their foot down and tell people straight simple Langar and none of these 5 extra desserts.

This is only a small part of the problem.

Fact is most Sikhs eat most of their food outwith the Guradwara.

Obesity and other health problems are more related to a sedentary lifestyle which is now prevalent throughout the world. Increasing physical activity is key.

Guradware get paid well for those wanting to do Langar seva, so not on their interest to 'tone down' any excess service. 

Having more awareness like posters at entrance and around the Langar hall that Langar should  be basic might help.

We need to encourage the practice of sitting down rather than tables and chairs which are common in the UK, unless one is physically disadvantaged

2 hours ago, Teji_Singh said:

We need to encourage the practice of sitting down rather than tables and chairs which are common in the UK, unless one is physically disadvantaged

People (able bodied) have rubbish mobility and they struggle to sit on the floor.

Bad hips, bad knees, bad ankles.

Was watching a YouTube channel about being able to stand up from sitting cross legged without using your hands. I can get up without my hands by scooping my legs to one side but I cannot stand up by standing up directly, I need to use my hand to lift myself. Quite embarrassing really.

8 hours ago, Teji_Singh said:

This is only a small part of the problem.

Fact is most Sikhs eat most of their food outwith the Guradwara.

Obesity and other health problems are more related to a sedentary lifestyle which is now prevalent throughout the world. Increasing physical activity is key.

Guradware get paid well for those wanting to do Langar seva, so not on their interest to 'tone down' any excess service. 

Having more awareness like posters at entrance and around the Langar hall that Langar should  be basic might help.

Exactly. What you do outside the gurdwara is more important in terms of diet and exercise. Even if you live a sedentary lifestyle then you simply don't need to eat as much. 

Having said that the Gurdwaras can also help matters, they should stop serving kheer or any sweet dish at Langar considering the fact that Prashad is already heavy and sweet. I've rarely seen a giani that didn't have a massive belly.