need some links..

sevak

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

sangat ji .. some body asked me that he has live his 50 years of life in india but never ever saw a woman wearing dustar. and tadhi jatha was not in olden times of guru sahib. it's now here cuz of money nothing else..

can any one please give the link where it tells about tadhi jatha.. and women wearing dustar in olden times too.. i tried to find but couldn't.. so i m here to ask for your help..

bhul chuk maafi jeoo

waheguru ji ka khalsa,w aheguru ji ki fateh

Fateh

Dhadhi Kirtanees We are visited by a Dhadhi Kirtan jetha who play and sing the vars of Guru Gobind Singh. In case you do not know, the type of musicians called Dhadhis were first employed by Guru Hargobind early in the seventeenth century. As bards of the court, Guru Hargobind instructed them to sing heroic folk ballads or vars. The vars tell about acts of valor and heroism and are traditionally used to inspire groups of Sikh soldiers within the sangat.

http://www.sikhnet.com/AnandpurSahib/OnThe14th.htm

I'm not sure how reliable they will think these sources are but its worth a try...

pul chuk maaf

Dhadhi originally sang songs in praise of kings and rulers. They would stand outside the door of the ruler's home/palace and sang using sarangi dhadh.

Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, told these people, "why sing in praise of these worldly rulers in pursuit of wealth... instead why not sing in praise of Akaal Purkh and something worthwhile and do service in the House of Guru Nanak."

Dhadhi's were used to fire up singhs and singhnees with bir ras (fearlessness and energy spirit).

Even to this day, Dhadhi Singhs sing the praises of Waheguru, and explain the history of brave Sikhs and the Gurus in front of Sri Akaal Takht Sahib, the Supreme Sikh Authority, originally built by the Sixth Guru.

In regards to dastaar - some people out of ignorance and lack faith in Rehat and Guru Ji's Rehat will keep saying "I have not seen any women wearing this until recently" etc

Any Hukam for man is equal for woman.

If Guru Ji says "Amrit Shako and wear Panj Kakkaar" - same applies to women and men.

Women have to cover their head like men. What better way than to look graceful, honourable and royal by tying the Guru's dastaar on your head.

The dastaar rehat for women died out in society to the pressurers of:

1/ Brahmanism

2/ Panjabi Culture

3/ Some women feeling to shy/inconfident to stand out as a Sikh, especially in times of genocide and attrocities (same reason some men cut their hair)

These factors have affected Sikh thought and we have been made to believe that only men should tie dastaars and that women only have to cover their head - so why not just wear chunni.... wot next - i don't need a chunni or

need to cover my head??? - "only have to wear 5 Ks"???

Sikhs may change - but Sikhi has never changed.

humble thoughts.

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...107#reply_15134

Description of Puratan Singhnees

Author: !!

Date: 07-20-04 08:40

I thought this description was pretty amazing:

________

Adorning weapons, chakars [quoits] and knifes they wore many [in their dumallas – high conical turbans]. Forty kilos of weapons and armour they adorned. Dressed alike were young and old women. They were strong, powerful and of great charity. Some wore dress of women. Five dressed like men [i.e. in full warrior dress]. Getting Singh and Singhnias ready thus. Sending one Sirdar with them, the Singhnia set off towards the royal palace. The powerful Singhs stood outside. All the royal women came out to see them. They [singhs] had great moustache and beards. Their eyes were full of rage and eyebrows greater. Wearing many weapons. Seeing their great form and beauty, they were as if incarnations of the warrior spirit. The Begams were astonished. Begams sent them [singhs] gifts. Saluting the Singhs, they sent them away. Then they looked at the Singhnia. They took them into their palace. They [singhnia] said, “Sat Siri Akal”. They replied “Salaam” and sat them down. Seeing their form and strong bodies. Dressed in armour and weapons. Listening to their conversation of plundering and war. And how to kill a hunt. And how to aim with bows and muskets. Hearing them, they were astonished. Under their ‘Salwars’ [trouser like garments], were ‘Kashehras’ [breeches]. Seeing their great clothes. Listening to their manly words. The Begams were astounded. The four Singhnia had a special fe

male dress. They wore silver ornaments twenty pounds in weight. Seeing this they were awe struck. Their Salwars were twenty yard long. They wore heavy lower garments. Their top knots stood span and half high. Their Shmeezes were of special design. Their physiques were large and heavy. Seeing them the Begams were astounded because they stood unarmed and weak of body. Fearing the Singhnia they cowered to half their size. Then began discussion on religion. Singhnia dismissed all other religions. The traditions of Muslims [Turks] they called false. The way of Mohammed they said was full of faults. The Singhnia described all the atrocities of the Turks. Hearing them the Begams shuddered. Shocked they covered their mouths with their hands. Hearing of the chastity, sincerity and morals of the Singhs. The Begams spoke nodding their heads. “Singhnia you are of great fate. You move about with you husbands. We are pathetic and suffer greatly. Our life is like life imprisonment. One king has sixty wives. By marrying we are as if trapped in a trap”.’

(‘Naveen Panth Prakash’, Giani Gian Singh Nirmala, 1877, Bhasha Vibhag Publication, Pa.1151-1153)