No one is Sikh today..

navdeep kaur

balait_da_sher = 100% 
I never thought id see the day :wub: ....just joking bro ^_^
(Getae @ Jan 19 2005, 04:36 PM)

Hi sher_punjabi,

How many people in the world follow the Guru Granth Sahib ji word for word today? 

The relationship of a Sikh and the Guru is no different than the relationship of a highschool teacher and a student.

A Student studies and tries to follow the insturctions of the teacher. Teacher neither expects nor wants the student to follow the instructions word to word, instead the teacher wants the student to learn from his/her own mistakes.

Same applies to Guru Granth sahib jee and a Sikh. Guru ji wants us to follow the instructions to the best of our ability but also do our own independent learning while living in this world.

Getae your thinking that there isnt a sikh left in the world because sikhs may not follow Guru Granth sahib jee word to word is wrong.  <

br>

:@

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a way your uncle has nailed it, the Guru Granth Sahib ji is supposed to be the "Sikhs" code of conduct, even in my opinion no one left on the planet is a Sikh today.

Fateh,

Thats making a very general statement, and in no way can you prove that statement, unless you've met every single person claiming to be Sikh, furthermore, you never know the inner workings of a person and what they believe, many Gursikh's stay gupt since they are not Sikh because they need to show the world, but they are doing it for Guru Ji, for themselves and for the love that they get from Gurbani. I have met some amazing Sikhs, and I would say that they are true Sikh's. They dont show off, they dont try to get power, they wake up at 2 or 3 and do simran and paath, they go to work, come home and seem to live a very normal life.

so for you to put down everyone and say there are no Sikh's today I think is a mistake, and maybe you should think over again what you are saying.

pul chuk maaf

Nicely put jio! ^_^

I couldnt agree more less, that there are so many gursikhs i have met in my life that are following strict rehat and live an amazing life, and they are enjoying every min of it. So what if hes a mona .. what if they later decide to take amrit ?? Its all in their karma jio..

Hi guys,

I quite frankly haven't met one person in my life who does any of those things and I've been to many places in the world. I've even lived in India for 3 years and still, no "Sikhs" in my own opinion.

Maybe I am wrong, I do recognise that Sikhism is about choice, so really nothing is written in stone and to be followed word for word, but the way I see it, to reach Waheguru, one must follow the Guru Granth Sahib word for word.

Gurfateh!!

Getae Ji, it is apparant in todays world that Sikhi is stronger in the west that in India, i don't quite know what your expectations of a Sikh is, because i have travelled many places and met many many Gursikhs, Bhai Jeevan Singh Ji, Giani Amolak Singh Ji, Bhai Sahib Bhai Norang Singh Ji, Sant Baba Thakar Singh Ji. My point is the list is endless and those are just the people who are in constant Chardi Kala, there are many more Gursikhs who follow Maharaaj Ji indefinatly!!

"Maybe I am wrong, I do recognise that Sikhism is about choice, so really nothing is written in stone and to be followed word for word, but the way I see it, to reach Waheguru, one must follow the Guru Granth Sahib word for word. "

I'm sure thats a contradiction. grin.gif

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!

Hi guys,

I quite frankly haven't met one person in my life who does any of those things and I've been to many places in the world. I've even lived in India for 3 years and still, no "Sikhs" in my own opinion.

Maybe I am wrong, I do recognise that Sikhism is about choice, so really nothing is written in stone and to be followed word for word, but the way I see it, to reach Waheguru, one must follow the Guru Granth Sahib word for word.

What is a Sikh to you?

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Real Sikhs don't run around in the public and try to convince everyone that they are Gurmukhs. So many of the "real Sikhs" or "real Gurmukhs" stay Gupt, and the majority of people sitting in their homes don't really see those Gurmukhs.

If you go to keertan programs, you get more involved in the community, attend smagams or ransabaees of whatever sort, you will start to see these amazing Gurmukhs, creeping out of no where.. Just because a few people "don't see Gurmukhs around too often" doesn't mean they don't exist.

There are countless amazing Gursikhs living today - first of all we judge people too much - just by looking at someone once, you cannot really determine how much Bani they read and how much love they have for Guru Sahib. Secondly, there are so many people that *you* may not see or have not met... I personally know LOTS of people in my community that just take my breath away because of their dedication and love -- lots of people that have extremely high avasthas and would put everything aside for Guru Sahib. Lots of people who have high amounts of bhagti, who still wake up at Amrit Vela, who try so hard to follow Gurmat, who Guru Sahib has blessed with darshan and so much more...

Gurmukhs are still here and always will be. Naam Rahiou, Sadhoo Rahiou . Even in KALJUG, Saintly people will still exist and prevail. We just need to look for them and realize...

those are my feelings anyway. smile.gif

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Vaheguroo jee ka khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee fateh!

I agree that there are countless inspirational gursikhs, and we shouldn't judge anyone and label them as 'bad', but sometimes i think we're too quick to label just anyone as a 'true gursikh' or a 'gurmukh'... because only Guru Sahib knows what's truly in a person's heart..

Yes there are tons of amazing gursikhs who are walking on the path, building up their kamaaee, but how many people REALLY know the true meaning of shardha and nimarta and gareebi? how many people can truly say that they follow rehit to the fullest with no dubidha at all? Guru Sahib himself says:

jn nwnk kotn mY koaU Bjnu rwm ko pwvY ]2]3]

jan naanak kottan mai kooo bhajan raam ko paavai ||2||3||

O servant Nanak, among millions, there is scarcely anyone who attains the Lord's meditation. ||2||3||

rwm sMq mih Bydu ikCu nwhI eyku jnu keI mih lwK krorI ]

raam sa(n)th mehi bhaedh kishh naahee eaek jan kee mehi laakh karoree ||

Between the Lord and His Saint, there is no difference at all. Among hundreds of thousands and millions, there is scarcely one humble being.

and isn't that what a TRUE gursikh is? a humble being who has submitted his mann to guru jee...?

[font=Gur

baniWebThick]AstpdI ]

imiQAw nwhI rsnw prs ]

mn mih pRIiq inrMjn drs ]

pr iqRA rUpu n pyKY nyqR ]

swD kI thl sMqsMig hyq ]

krn n sunY kwhU kI inMdw ]

sB qy jwnY Awps kau mMdw ]

gur pRswid ibiKAw prhrY ]

mn kI bwsnw mn qy trY ]

ieMdRI ijq pMc doK qy rhq ]

nwnk koit mDy ko AYsw Aprs ]1][/font]

Ashtapadee:

One whose tongue does not touch falsehood;

whose mind is filled with love for the Blessed Vision of the Pure Lord,

whose eyes do not gaze upon the beauty of others' wives,

who serves the Holy and loves the Saints' Congregation,

whose ears do not listen to slander against anyone,

who deems himself to be the worst of all,

who, by Guru's Grace, renounces corruption,

who banishes the mind's evil desires from his mind,

who conquers his sexual instincts and is free of the five sinful passions

- O Nanak, among millions, there is scarcely one such 'touch-nothing Saint'. ||1||

Vaheguroo jee ka Khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i agree with my brothers and sisters on this one...there are innumerable singhs and singhnees who follow the rehat completely, i can not even begin to name them because there are so many....Sikhs are all around you but u will only see them if u look at them as Gursikhs...u need 2 stop thinking that every1 in a bana is just a show sikh.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

i agree with my brothers and sisters on this one...there are innumerable singhs and singhnees who follow the rehat completely, i can not even begin to name them because there are so many....Sikhs are all around you but u will only see them if u look at them as Gursikhs...u need 2 stop thinking that every1 in a bana is just a show sikh.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

yup, i agree with you.