Oprah: 'too Much Ustat Ruined My Life!

AK-47

I do actually believe that oprah winfrey could well do a full show on how too much praising or ustat can ruin peoples lifes!

We all know people who we deem to be chardi kala or who do a bit more nitnem than we do or who keep better rehat than we do. Does the fact that this person is a bit 'better' than us mean that we should priase them?

Guru ji tells us to think were the lowest of the low and also tells us that both nindia and ustat are to be avoided. Nindia as it makes us feel better about other peoples weaknesses and ustat inflates our egos.

From what iv been told, if you respect somebody fine express that respect, but to do it to the person face isnt helping them in any way, your actually taking their sikhi away from them.

Its intresting to see so many people prasing so many other people sooooo much thats its silly!!!!

If people are telling you daily that you are the best thing since vegetarian egg free burgers then unfortunetly one day you may start believing them.. and what happens to your nimrata then if your not actually on that level of avasta??

What do you guys think? We all make an issue of not doing nindia, but what about ustat? Yes praise those who are worthy but not to their faces! all we do is breed more and more hunkar in those we admire!

Fateh

I kinda agree with you AK-47. But it depends in the context in which Usttat is done. If it is done in a sincere way to let person know of your respec for them, then it can't be too bad if you do it in a humble way. But if you praise in a disingenuous or over the top way - then this is wrong, as it will boost the ego of the other person.

Same way with nindiya. If you criticise someone, but do so in a humble and constructive way, without intending to offend or harm them, then there is nothing wrong with this (but then this is technically not nindiya - it is constructive criticism). But if you do this in a malicious manner, then of course, that's bad.

I think its all to do with the intent with which the things are said or done.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru

Guest SikhForLife

i remember reading a line in SGGS ji that struck me

something about gosspping behind backs is the same as praising upfront

cant find it now.. but heres something

ousathath ni(n)dhaa gur sam jaanaaee eis jug mehi laahaa har jap lai jaae ||1|| rehaao ||

The Guru has inspired me to realize, that praise and slander are one and the same; in this world, the profit is obtained by chanting the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

-

-------------------

par ni(n)dhaa ousathath neh jaa kai ka(n)chan loh samaano ||

One who does not slander or praise others, who looks upon gold and iron alike,

harakh sog thae rehai atheethaa jogee thaahi bakhaano ||1||

who is free from pleasure and pain - he alone is called a true Yogi. ||1||

cha(n)chal man dheh dhis ko dhhaavath achal jaahi t(h)eharaano ||

The restless mind wanders in the ten directions - it needs to be pacified and restrained.

kahu naanak eih bidhh ko jo nar mukath thaahi thum maano ||2||3||

Says Nanak, whoever knows this technique is judged to be liberated. ||2||3||