Guru Ji In My House...

Waheguroo ji ka khalsa,

Waheguroooo ji ki fatehhh!

Lately i havnt been well... not so while ago i mentioned to my parents that it would be a good idea if you guys can change my room on the top floor into baba jis room. (Since i dont sleep there anymore and im usually in Waterloo studying during the week)

My family is not much into sikhi and since i am new to sikhi myself and do many grave mistakes still, i would ask support and advice from sangat to help me...

We use to eat meat a lot in the house, and also drink... but that has died out during the last two years. Only my grandma and myself are amritdhari in the house but my parents/sisters do their paath too...

Bringing guru sahib home would be a very big change for us...and my parents have suggested we have sanchiya at home instead of bringing guru sahib home...BUT to me bringing guru sahib home would just complete me...

... i really want to bring guru sahib home.

I KNOW ... with bringing guru sahib home will also bring many responsibilities...im willing to carry that...but say if my grandma/mom are willing to do parkash/sakasan di seva (when im not there during the week)... should we go ahead with bringing guru sahib home...

Even i dont know how to do parkash/sakasan di seva but guru kripa naal i would love to learn...

So my first question... knowing some of our background... should we bring home guru sahib or sanchiya sahib...

Next...

With bringing home guru sahib or sanchiya... we would have to bring home a lot of stuff that you can say t decorate the room... or some things that are mandatory. As i have no clue... i am new to sikhi... (please forgive my lack of knowledge)... can sangat ji please help me in describing what do i need to do step by step...

... i believe this will change the rest of my life forever because i love guru sahib, and if he ever comes to our home... it would complete my loneliness. I ask sangat if they can please help me out...

bhul chuk maph!

""My family is not much into sikhi and since i am new to sikhi myself and do many grave mistakes still, i would ask support and advice from sangat to help me...

We use to eat meat a lot in the house, and also drink... but that has died out during the last two years.""

Looks like my family... but its really great to see the change in ur familiy DD... how did u manage to do that... ofc with God's grace!!?

Currently Guru Granth Sahib ji is in our house (long story why), but we never do the sukhasan/prakashan... mama does the paath in the morning. She cant read punjabi so cant do P and S... so... I have thought of starting to do it, but am hesitating as im pretty much new to it. It's totally not acceptable, I know...

Because of circumstances like when having exams, or out travelling... or not being home cuz of some daily routines, etc. and not being able to do P and S, what do u suggest to do then?? I could set my own rules, but some advice wouldnt hurt blush.gif

But yea as DD said a detailed description of Sukhasan and Prakashan would be great!!

Nidhi,

That is pure BE-ADBI of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, you are disrespecting Guru Sahib to its max by not doing parkaash or sukhaasan, and most of the sangat would agree with this. If you can't do sukhaasan and parkaash then you SHOULD NOT have Guru Sahib at your home, rather get some translations.

Daasn Daas,

I'm gonna upload proper directions and procedures of keeping Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji at home, although our family is aware of all the protocols of keeping Guru Granth Sahib ji at home, we still have got sanchees/pothis w/translations, and we give the sanchees the equal amount of respect by having them layed on a day-bed in a separate room, along with other gutkas, etc. in a closet.

I hope the rest of the sangat can shed some light on this topic, as this is VERY important.

VJKK VJKF

I would advise you to get sanchees/pothis at your house. Having Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji at your house will prove to be a huge responsibility. IMO, your house should be treated much more like a gurdwara if you have Guru Granth Sahib Ji at your house. So i would assume this would mean, sukhasan early in the morning, karah prashad made everyday, langar for all the meals, if you have langar, you should also be sittting on the ground for all the meals, rehrass sahib in the evening, kirtan sohila and sukhasan in the night. Your also going to have to make sure no alcohol, eggs, meat or anything like that enters your house. Your house should also be kept very clean, especially the room GUru Granth Sahib Ji stays is. There is still probably so many things that i misssed. But you can see what i am getting at.

I would advise you to get senchiean/pothis, the seva that you must do to have guru Ji at your house will become a huge responsibility, especially with you not being home everyday. Mabye you should do 1 sehaj paath at your house when you and your family are free for a week or 2 and see how much work it really is to run your house like a gurdwara for even a week or 2, with your whole family helping out. But if you feel comftroble with doing the seva, than i guess, go ahead and bring guru granth sahib ji home

and yeah, nidhi,

thats is pure beadbi, you should probably let a local gurdwara take that saroop from your house.

i recommend starting of with sancheeya...

cuz u know how in daily life we always go around doing our own stuff, watching our tv shows etc... when guru ji is in our house we should spend most of our time with guru ji... cuz theres nothing more important...

thats my own opinion / theory... people are free to disagree...

but i feel that brinign guru ji to ur house and just doing sukhasaan and prakash is a bare minimum, when such an important person is at ur house u should spend loads of time with them...

Wow..

Didnt realize how many things we would have to do and yes i realize now there are a lot of responsibilities and even my dad said (whos not amritdhari) that he would love to have guru ji in the house but if your gonna do beadbi .. please dont..

Can people who have guru ji in their home please post their views and how they do their seva........

it'll be great if guroo sahib stays at your house, bt only if u can handle it like said above, i for one having guroo sahib in my house have seen all of the respect we need to give and how many procedures there are bbut once you get into a routine it will be easy. i take a private hukamnama by myself, i needed my parents there the first few times, but then guroo ji does his kirpa and its fine, taking a hukamna is just like how they do at the gurdwara, open baabajis ramala sahib and then taake a random ang and read yor vaak.

i'll ask my parents details about sujhasan and prakash as there the ones who do it and post it up later

wjkk wjkf..well i wanted to ask sangat ji..wel my house..i have sanche..the house i live in is like ma dad mom n ma 2 bros a monay...n i bought this sanche when one man used to teach us santhiya..well now..im into sikhi..n i do ma practisi for rehat..i wanted to ask u guys..is it ok to have the sanchi together in a cupboard??i put em together ..n i dnt do ne prakash o sukkhashan..but i wrap it in the rumala.. n keep it clean..even gutka tht i have i put em under like a small chandni..together with ma books..but in another compatment..n my house has alcohol..egg..n meat... no.gif <_<...well hope some one gives me advice..so tht i can do something to it then doin bedbi..wjkk wjkf!

We, with Guru Sahib's grace had Maharaj reside with us for a week long, when we had sehej paath at our home. Although this is the most amazing experience ever, being blessed by Guru Ji at home, like the above, the responsibilty's are huge, and only then did we realise.

You must never miss amritvela with Guru Sahib, and must always make sure you do Sukhasan. Your home must be cleaned, all food must be prepared with bani, and do remember you must adhere to the rules that one must have in a Gurudwara at home.

For instance, what you're watching on TV, what you're listening to, what you're talking about - all these things are important in every day life, with or without the the physical form of Guru Sahib, however, we often slip.

With Guru Sahib in your home, there is no scope to slip whatsoever.

Blessed are those souls who have Maharaj with them, hopefully we can all have such karam.

However, advice for me will be to perhaps start with senchiya, as this is what we do at my paaji's home. A specific sachkhand astaan (bed) is made for Maharaj, and the senchiya are treated as we would do Maharaj... this is building on seva and piyaar, once we know that Maharaj has given us the ability to do their seva, one day, we hope to be blessed with their presance.

Always remember Guru Ji is aang saang anyway, so start living your life like that, you'll see the change immediately.

Most of all, so ardaas, tell Maharaj your thoughts and ask them to bless you with the ability to carry out such amazing seva, and they will bless you.

PS: Nidhi... I'm a moorakh and know nothing, however, please, this is a humble benti to you, please do not continue this beadbi of Guru Sahib.

Think of it for a moment, imagine you were in bed, for 3-4 days running, no one woke you, and you weren't able to get up... your bones would begin to ache, your body would become stiff. This is grossly offensive... I'm sorry but that's Guru Ji you have... no matter the circumstances, you should NEVER not to seva of Guru Sahib.

What about Nitnem? Is that done with Guru Ji? <_< Please think about it, and think of this as a humble benti from your little papi sister..

If you feel you cannot continue to do such seva then Maharaj should be returned to a Gurudwara sahib. Forgive me saying so, but it's not good.

I hope I haven't rambled on too much...

Forgive me for my many mistakes