Why are we altering this beautiful gift-SIKHISM-

jans

I was never much of a believer of GOD and spent my teens learning what i could of every religion(christianity,islam,judaism,etc..) i could find but still found SIKHISM to be the most sensible,straight-forward of them all. But what saddens me is that men or 'sants' have added their own two cents into the religion. I have unshorn hair but i do not see why we are making sikhism just like any other religion. When i read the damdami taksal rehit maryada, i was appalled at the tasks and instructions written by these men or 'sants' . Granted they may be wise men but i personally beleive that many are extreme Guru Gobind gave us the 5ks in times of war and each served its purpose in groming, protecting the body. Here are a few of the many things i found that are in my view tarnishing and confusing sikhs all over the world:-

1. "..but in Gurmat cutting the hair is a cardinal sin and results in a person being an outcast"

*in my view this places sikhism as more of a social sect than a spiritual sect.

2."The Brahmin that consumes tobacco is donated charity by others. Those that give charity to such a person go to hell and the Brahmin becomes a pig."

(Skandh Purana, Dh. 52, Salok 52)

* I find this very disturbing..its almost as if the person writing it had so mch hatred in him.I agree that tobacco is not going to help your spiritual development but there are also many mentions of going to hell in the rehit maryada. But correct my if im wrong..the SGGS compiled only of the ten gurus sayings emphasises the point that there is no heaven or hell. That our souls are but of the one lifeforce, GOD. Secondly, Granted sikhs have been suppressed all their lives and discriminated ever since the khalsa was founded, It almost seems that the person or 'sant' that wrote this had strong racist feeling towards the muslims or hindus. Its almost immature if you ask me.

There are many more points i could raise but my fingers are starting to hurt!heh..But in conclusion i cannot emphasise more that what the gurus have blessed us with is more than suffcient in prviding us with all the information we need to live spiritual, productive lives. Sikhism was created for the sikh to develop himself personally and not living by rules laid out by fellow people.

In my view, sikhi is all about trying to free yourself of your worldly ego and at the same time living productive lives. The sayings of the guru focused on this very task. Why do we still give people rules and reglations. Sikhism was the most dynamic religion ever created until people have imposed their own rules unto the religion.

Comments are very much welcome. I apologize if i have offended anyone or anything in any way.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa

vaheguru ji ki fateh

vaheguru ji ka khalsa, vaheguru ji ki fateh

I agree with your views, but we still should not lose hope the good and bad times come and go. please remember that in the early 1900's, there were a lot of hindu brahmins around our Gurudwaras and many rituals were being performed according to their traditions like marriage etc. It went so far as they used to place their dieties moortis in our Harminder Sahib and have ram lila plays at Gurdwara Taran Taran. All this has changed and anand marriage act passed in 1906 also got rid of brahmins doing marriages according to their rites, and sikh priests could do it according to the sikh custom.

If we look back at history there always has been good and bad times. Its a cycle more or less.

wow i wish i could articulate myself like you have...that's what i've been thinking for....well seemingly forever but have been unable to put into words! thanks!

thanks for sharing ur views!

after reseraching all religions, have u chosen one a particular path?

bhul chuk maph

your 2nd quote is from the puranas, wats it have to do with sikhi?

92770[/snapback]

It is quoted in the damdami rehat maryada...thats where the relation seems to be..

ill give you their explanation of a certain verse from the site:

from the site:

"Listen to the discipline of the Gursikh whom relinquishes the accompaniment of tobacco, avoiding bodily contact with tobacco as he/she knows that he/she is better off dead than having to touch tobacco."

(Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh ji, 148)

The explanation and rituals to be followed:

By using tobacco, all good deeds are destroyed and the person will suffer for a long time in hell. A Gursikh will rather die than touch tobacco. If a Gursikh comes into contact with anything containing tobacco, for example, cigarettes, cigars, paan, charas, pipes, they must wash their hands with soap five times. Then they must purify their Kesh, body and clothes by bathing.

I agree that they are trying to denounce tobacco but "..will suffer for a long time in hell..."? I thinks thats almost like putting a sikh into fear of doing these things rather than explaining the truth behind these substances.

And "..If a Gursikh comes into contact with anything containing tobacco, for example, cigarettes, cigars, paan, charas, pipes, they must wash their hands with soap five times.." - I find this just as many others in the rehit another wierd ritual that they deemed fit to include. Yes it may be wrong to smoke it or consume it but why wash five times?

your 2nd quote is from the puranas, wats it have to do with sikhi?

92770[/snapback]

It is quoted in the damdami rehat maryada...thats where the relation seems to be..

ill give you their explanation of a certain verse from the site:

from the site:

"Listen to the discipline of the Gursikh whom relinquishes the accompaniment of tobacco, avoiding bodily contact with tobacco as he/she knows that he/she is better off dead than having to touch tobacco."

(Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh ji, 148)

The explanation and rituals to be followed:

By using tobacco, all good deeds are destroyed and the person will suffer for a long time in hell. A Gursikh will rather die than touch tobacco. If a Gursikh comes into contact with anything containing tobacco, for example, cigarettes, cigars, paan, charas, pipes, they must wash their hands with soap five times. Then they must purify their Kesh, body and clothes by bathing.

I agree that they are trying to denounce tobacco but "..will suffer for a long time in hell..."? I thinks thats almost like putting a sikh into fear of doing these things rather than explaining the truth behind these substances.

And "..If a Gursikh comes into contact with anything containing tobacco, for example, cigarettes, cigars, paan, charas, pipes, they must wash their hands with soap five times.." - I find this just as many others in the rehit another wierd ritual that they deemed fit to include. Yes it may be wrong to smoke it or consume it but why wash five times?

92774[/snapback]

I see what ur tryin to say veerji ....

reli nice views and i fully agree wit u ... :TH:

there was a huge post i was gonna post here

but left it

thers no point

we have to leave hankaar, that includes me, this is all revolving around hankaar

btw, its sant baba gurbachan singh je khalsa bhindranwale who said that

as for jans

well its sad u cant belive, then tht must me everythingnive seen and felt makes me crazy or something cause there been amazing things for a lot of people

were a crazy bunch of people eh

taksal was created by guru je and has kept the same maryada basicly

a sant isnt a little thing

i agree its not a light title to give

but sant baba gurbachan singh je, who knew more than 52 mool mantar aarths btw, i cant even talk about thier glory, i ccant, was one with vaheguru jje

har harjann due aik hai bib beechar kachh nahi

y is there always veechars on this, there shud be none

NONE

they are one

thas it

even guru jes saying thas it, no more talking, there one

y u arguing about this

we have nor ight

there one

ONE ONE ONE

satnam sri vaheguru je

bhula chuka maf

there was a huge post i was gonna post here

but left it

thers no point

we have to leave hankaar, that includes me, this is all revolving around hankaar

btw, its sant baba gurbachan singh je khalsa bhindranwale who said that

as for jans

well its sad u cant belive, then tht must me everythingnive seen and felt makes me crazy or something cause there been amazing things for a lot of people

were a crazy bunch of people eh

taksal was created by guru je and has kept the same maryada basicly

a sant isnt a little thing

i agree its not a light title to give

but sant baba gurbachan singh je, who knew more than 52 mool mantar aarths btw, i cant even talk about thier glory, i ccant, was one with vaheguru jje

har harjann due aik hai bib beechar kachh nahi

y is there always veechars on this, there shud be none

NONE

they are one

thas it

even guru jes saying thas it, no more talking, there one

y u arguing about this

we have nor ight

92938[/snapback]

I understand where ur coming from but i am trying to understand something not critisize it. Guru nanak lived his life despising ridiculous rituals and emphasised the need for union with god. We have ritualised this very religion.

As for the damdami taksal, i agree and know that it was founded by Guru Gobind Singh Ji but it was founded to teach the principles of the religion,philosophies,kirtan,etc.. I am not saying that these sants are bad people. I know they live more productive lives than almost all of us and i respect that but i would like to correct your claim that the rehit maryada was written by Guru Gobind Singh himself. Guru ji gave us the 5 ks and not that you cant take your kachera off and on and that you have to put it on leg by leg.

Many of these regulations have been set by generation after generation by the taksal and not just one person. I dont think that is right.

You saying that we must accept everything the religion brings forth immediately without thought. Yes it may bring much joy and calmness to the mind but sikh=learner. A sikh is one who not only reads the bani but contemplates on it not just following it blindly. A sikh is one who questions everything to learn what he can abt the bani.

Im sorry if i have offended anyone but i am a sikh who is looking for these very answers.