Vasakhi

SSB

few years back the Nanakshahi Calendar was made.

THis is the Sikh Calendar (based on Guru Nanak Ji's birth year - like Christian calendar is based on Jesus' birth year).

The Nanakshahi Calendar is a solar calendar (based on sun) like Western Calendars - this means dates stay the same and don't change year by year like the Indian calendar.

The Indian Calendar (Bikrami Calendar) is a Lunar calendar (based on moon) and therefore looking at moon the dates change (backwards and forward every year).

TO keep stability and conformity of dates - based on the historical dates of gurpurbs (i.e. the day and month when a guru recieved guruship or left heavinly abode etc when it happened in that particular year) the Nanakshahi Calendar was made.

The Nanakshahi Calendar was passed and approved by the Panth and all Gurdwaras and Sikhs are supposed to celebrate gurpurbs according to that (in accordance to Sri AKal Takht Sahib).

The only gurpurb which remains to be marked according to lunar calendar is Guru Nanak Ji's gurpurb and Diwali (Bandi Chhor Diwas). That's because Bandi Chhor coincides with the Indian festival of Diwali (which is celebrated according to Indian calendar) and historically Guru Nanak Sahib Ji was born on 1st Vaisakh - so to save hassle they left those two gurpurbs as lunar dates.

I don't know whether i have confused any one. if i have - sorry!

woops - forgot to mention... vaisakhi = 14th April (originally in 1699 the date was 30th March - but due to leap years etc - the accurate date to mark the day is 14th April)

true words shaheed.

i like the bit about 'saving the hassle' LOL yeh great justifications!

If your gonna do a job do it properly.. otherwise DONT DO IT! point proven by this shambles of a calendar!

The SGPC and the SGPC controlled akal takhat leaders are not the panth and do not represent the panth, sgpc is to look after the gurdwara's not dictate when we celabrate gurpurbs!

None of the older panthic sikhs have adopted it. Intresting point dont you think?

Just do what the Muslims do, and lets celebrate two days in a row. Actually if I remember correctly, some of them used to take a whole week off school!!

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

(actually not so much so anymore- I wish I was still in school so I could take that week off!)