"JO BOLE SONE HAAL"

The South Asian world things that people like Sunny Deol are proud Sikhs. Bollywood is once again responsible for the this portrayal to the world.

That e-mails a fob off. Reply back saying how a muslim would feel if the title of a film was "Alah Ho Akhbar" or "Mohamed". They would freak.

>>It is partly for this reason that we have a broad mix of South Asian examiners (of Muslim, Hindu and Sikh origin)

>>> Really? But by the next comment, i worry what she means by "Sikh origin"

Sikh origin in terms of the media/film industry means someone who attends the Gurdwara on Sundays once in a while, knows the first Guru ji was Guru Nanak Dev Ji, can name 2 out the 5 kakkar, has thought about becoming christian, never tied a turban, thinks drinking alcohol is in line with Sikhi as his/her relatives also drink, likes to celebrate xmas, last time they visited Punjab was with their parents 30+ years ago, grew up and went to school in a area with no other Sikhs, has a Christian first name, does not like to use Singh/Kaur in his/her name.

There are lots of these pseudo "Sikhs" in the media industry. You only have to look at the BBC Asian Network to see more than a dozen. No doubt these pseudo Sikhs also exist at the BBFC.

This is a standard reply. I just recieved the exact same feedback from BBFC!

How can we step it up further? The film comes out tomorrow and I bet most of the audience will be Punjabis.

If we went outside a cinema to protest and shouted Jaikaray we would just look like we are promoting the film.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I received the same reply from the BBFC as Manvir Singh, to which my reply is below:

Dear Hammed

Your response is disappointing and ignorant to the offence this film will cause. The makers cannot justify the abuse of a Sikh Greeting by justifying it is the name of the main character in the movie.

We have no concern whether Sunny Deol thinks he is a Sikh or not, that is irrelevant and does not allow him to think he is able to insult Sikhs.

The Sikh Greeting "Jo Bole Sone Haal" is a reference from Gurbani (Sikh Sacred Scriptures). To Sikhs our Scriptures are a living form of God. Gurbani cannot be used as a title to a cheap Hindi Movie.

Secondly there is a song which has the Sikh Greeting to pop music and picturised as a love song between the hero & heroine of this movie.

This is blatant disregard on the behalf of BBFC and your response reflects an institute that is far away from reality and understanding the diverse society of UK.

Your email has raised further concerns about how the BBFC actually censors and reviews movies that cause offence.

Your reply is poor and I still ask the BBFC to take on board the concerns of the UK Sikh Community.

Will a film title such as "Allah Ho Akbar" be acceptable if the hero name was Allah? If you think that the a film title based on a Sikh Greeting is justified then it portrays ignorance on the behalf of the BBFC.

Please meet with Sikh Organisations who will aid the BBFC to highlight the offence this film will cause.

The film is blatant "Bollywood Prejudice" towards Sikhs.

Below is a letter I have sent to my Local MP (please use it as a template when writing to your MP - www.faxyourmp.com)

I write to you to express concern regarding the Indian film, "Jo Bole

So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal!" which has been passed by UK Censors and is

releasing in the UK on 13th may 2005. As you may be aware, Sikhs all

over the country are agitated over the contents of the movie and the

gross, negligent and deliberate misuse of the Sikh war cry and

greeting, "Jo Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal!”

The contents of the movie as well as the use of the Sikh slogan as the

title of the movie will cause great offence to the UK Sikh Community.

The Sikh Greeting "Jo Bole So Nihal" is a reference from Gurbani (Sikh

Sacred Scriptures). To Sikhs our Scriptures are a living form of God.

Gurbani cannot be used as a title to a cheap Hindi Movie.

I ask to to contact the BBFC to review its decision to pass the film

for release in the UK. The BBFC must take advise from UK Sikh

Organisations to highlight the offence that will be cause by this film

and act accordingly. The film is nothing but a reflection of Bollywood

Prejudice towards Sikhs.

I look forward to your reply. Thank you in advance for your help in

this matter.

Keep the pressure on!!

GurFateh!

i have used Tav Prasad's reply and personalised it slightly:

Dear Hammed

Thank you for your prompt reply.  It is much appreciated.

I am very shocked and feel let down by your reply.

Whether the actor’s name is ‘Nihal’, the use of the Sikh’s religious slogan is irresponsible and inappropriate.  These war cries are very sacred and invoke the blessings of God.  I assume that you have seen the scene in the film (which has been shown on the Indian music channels) where they sing a song and use the religious slogan as well as using the Sikh Guru’s name and reference to Sikh’s Sacred writings and dancing with half naked girls in the streets of New York.  If you think this cannot be offensive to Sikhs, then I question the whole reviewing process.

The comment about Sunny Deol being ‘a proud Panjabi Sikh’ was worrying and but irrelevant.  I can understand and agree with the ‘proud Panjabi’ part, however if he was a proud Sikh then why would he shave and drink alcohol?  If he is a proud Sikh then he pride must be shallow.  Irrelevant of him being a Sikh, the film is an insult and the excuse of the character’s name and the cover up of it showing a good Sikh fighting for a justice is wrapping the insult to the Sikh community in cotton wool.

Your reply is poor and I still ask the BBFC to take on board the concerns of the UK Sikh Community.

Would a film title such as "Allah Ho Akbar" be acceptable, if the hero name was Allah?  Furthermore if “Allah Ho Akbar” was the song lyrics for one song where the hero and heroine dance with half naked dancers in the background wouldn’t this be insensitive to the Muslim community or would you still justify it? If you think that the a film title based on a Sikh Greeting is justified then it portrays ignorance on the behalf of the BBFC.

I will also be forwarding my concerns to the Racial Equality Council (UK).

The film is blatant "Bollywood Prejudice" towards Sikhs.

Kind regards,

"Panth Da Sewadaar, Singh Sahib Joginder Singh Vedanti.. "

man i don't get it, the Akaal Takhat screened this film and said it showed good things. Man these "sewadaars" make me sick but then there will be so many who will talk about how much bhagti they did or probably did, or probably are doing, or that he is a brahmgiani blah bla blah, whatever, i've lost all respect for these "sewadaars" they are nothing but Mullahs to me....man we are protesting but look at it this way, a movie hurting Catholics comes out, the catholics protest, the Vatican and the Pope say the movie is good, well this will be thrown in our faces the same way, even though we have no pope, I always here people describe the Jathedaar of Akaal Takhat to Gorre as the "Pope of Sikhs"......

I'm ticked off man.....