how dedicated do u hav to be to become Amritdhari

If u love God and Guru ji more than anything else in this world then dedication will automatically come ur way. Just surrender ur self to the guru.

I wud suggest practise gursikh life like nitneem , amrit vela ( amritvela is really really important , if u want to progress faster), listenign to gurbani and katha all the time, reading literature online and offline (too much reading is also bad, just practise what u read), and other sikh things.

Sangat is very very important. Talk to gurmukhs more often and discuss things.

Just my 2 cents.

I hope guru ji will do mehar on u and bless u with amrit very soon.

Waheguruuuuuuuu.

i agree...i would like to add that becoming amritdhari is a not an overnight, instantaneous achievement, or an absolute right..its is a blessed privilege...it is something one has to work diligently towards, make honest humble efforts towards, and earn....for analogy purposes jus as when one sets his/her mind on any goal (eg. a university degree) he/she has to make sustained, committed efforts to achieving that...attending class regularly, studying, reflecting, understanding...only when they are thoroughly prepared do they go in to take the final test and thus attain their degree...similarly, the title of Khalsa is a privilege which one has to work towards in a humble manner and earn...and i assure you, if u embark on this path with the 3 founding pricinples of "sat", "santokh", and "vichaar", i.e. with a honest, humble heart and a self-reflective, criticaly analytical mind then this path which may seem insurmountable and distant during start will become effortless and invigourating...

also with due respect to Bhaji's comments above i would like to point out that the topic of 'meat', whether one should or should not eat has ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVENCE in the life of a Gursikh...it is sad and unfortunate to see that this Bhramnical line of thinking has permeated and rooted itself deep into the psyche of the majority of Sikhs in todays world...the decistion to eat or not eat meat is solely a personal choice and in no way does either choce make a person anymore "Un-Sikh" as it does make them more sikh....

may waheguru bless each of us...

wjkk wjkf

also with due respect to Bhaji's comments above i would like to point out that the topic of 'meat', whether one should or should not eat  has ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVENCE in the life of a Gursikh...it is sad and unfortunate to see that this Bhramnical line of thinking has permeated and rooted itself deep into the psyche of the majority of Sikhs in todays world...the decistion to eat or not eat meat is solely a personal choice and in no way does either choce make a person anymore "Un-Sikh" as it does make them more sikh....

may waheguru bless each of us...

wjkk wjkf

99215[/snapback]

I agree with the above. Its a personal choice. I consider it unsikh as I relate it to myself. Please donot divert the discussion to the "meat" thing again.

Thnx to kharkoo4life veer ji for correcting me.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Personally I would say that taking Amrit is an official declaration of one's dedication, commitment and love for Guroo Jee and Parmatma; not to other people but to Guroo Jee and God Himself. It is similar to marriage: two can say they love each other etc but marriage commits them to hold to their words and promise to remain dedicated to each other henceforth. Although Guroo Jee is jaanijaan (already knows what we believe/think/etc) taking this huge step consolidates the relationship between Guroo Jee and oneself. Guroo Jee, realising that one makes this mahaan gesture of love, will return the same pyaar, and shed further his mehar on his devotee and take them higher and higher in their spiritual avasthaa, revealing more and more of His amazing ways to the beloved devotee.

However in response to the question as to how dedicated one has to be, I say it must be full 100% commitment and dedication because one musn't go back on their word to Akaalpurukh. This would be the biggest insult to Guru Jee and the worst thing one could do. Thus it is vital to ensure that such a decision is not taken lightly and that rehat is practiced for some time beforehand. One must ensure that they, at least attempt to, possess the qualities that Guru Gobind Singh Jee would have desired and then with the support of Guroo Jee one will be successful in their mission.

Lets pray that Guroo Jee casts a glance of His nadar on us bhullanhaar jeev, and blesses us with His grace and the gift of Amrit. pray.gifpray.gifpray.gif

Born_2b_Sikh the very fact that you are contemplating taking Amrit shows you are certainly heading in the right direction. Keep going and good luck!! :TH:

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni Jee

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

waheguru ji kekhalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

Pyare jio, it is always good to practice the Gursikh lifestyle before taking Amrit. I did it for one year, doing everything an amritdhari does apart from wearing a kirpan. This was just to not give the wrong impression that i was an Amritdhari, as I was only practicing.

You can still do amritvela nitnem, and keep this regular. Gurbani says the more you prepare the soil beforehand, the better the harvest.

Before taking Amrit, I read Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji book, the meaning of Sikh Baptism. This is available of many websites now. I found it fascinating. It asks many searching questions, such as the real reasons why you are taking Amrit?

I would advise anyone taking Amrit to read this book first. It is excellent. Even now after 10 years since taking Amrit. I still occassionally read it. I still find new things in it.

Lastly when taking AMrit, while waiting outside do as much abyass of mool manter as possible. When taking Amrtit always focus on the batta when they make the Amrit. Plus do not leave the Amrit sanchaar until you have a definitive understanding of Naam.

waheguru ji kekhalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh