Sikh state unveils statue of Mother Teresa

Sikh state unveils statue of Mother Teresa

New Delhi, Jun. 08 (CWNews.com) - Catholic leaders in India's northern Punjab state, where Sikhs form the religious majority, are elated by the installation of a statue of Blessed Mother Teresa at one of the major intersections in the city of Jallandhar.

More than 3,000 Catholics, led by Bishop Symphorian Keeprath of Jallandhar, attended the unveiling of the statue by two senior ministers from the federal government as well as Punjab state officials.

"We are really excited about his. This is the first Christian statue on a public place in Punjab," Father Franco Mulakkal-- who coordinated the statue installation-- told CWN on June 8. The project was carried out, Father Mulakkal said, after the state government overruled the objection of Hindu fundamentalist groups opposing the installation of statue of Mother Teresa.

:TH:

this is fab news

sikhi is about sewa...we should recognise the value of any and every individual's humane efforts, regardless of religion....religion can be a superficial label....its our actions that count, not the name of a religion....

just out of interest, can anyone think of another individual whose sewa is comparable to that of mother teresa...sikh and non sikhs?

ssa sareyan nu,

it's a gr8 gesture.mother terassa was one of the very very few ppl who truly deserve the title saint.

but it's sad to see that the catholics referring to it as a christian statue.it was in poor taste.

she was not abt christanity she was abt humanity.

i urge all of u to help the mother teraasa trust in every manner possible.it's not tht one has to always give hefty monetary donations. as the mother said that " give me what u don't use" even if we follow tht then it would be of gr8 help.

may the mother bless us all

sarbat daa bhala

yes it WAS great seva....

but from what i've heard (and correct me if i'm wrong)... she only helped people if they were christian/catholic or if they coverted to christianity...... also, i think Bhai Parminder Singh jee stated in one'a his english kattha's that very same point....

it was a great seva... but... i dunno about her being givin the title of a saint... tha's a big thing.... if that point i stated above IS true, then i whole-heartedly think she does not deserve that title... however.. if it is wrong and she DID help evrybody that she could, then yeh... tha's a very saintly thing...

bhul chuk maaf...

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jeee Kee Fatehh..!!

word of advice heera singh...

don't believe everything you hear...ESPECIALLY if it's about saintly people like mother theresa...

don't you guys ever notice that we only hear dumb rumours about people who actually did seva???...it's such an annoying thing...

yes it WAS great seva....

but from what i've heard (and correct me if i'm wrong)... she only helped people if they were christian/catholic or if they coverted to christianity...... also, i think Bhai Parminder Singh jee stated in one'a his english kattha's that very same point....

it was a great seva... but... i dunno about her being givin the title of a saint... tha's a big thing.... if that point i stated above IS true, then i whole-heartedly think she does not deserve that title... however.. if it is wrong and she DID help evrybody that she could, then yeh... tha's a very saintly thing...

bhul chuk maaf...

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jeee Kee Fatehh..!!

102921[/snapback]

sat sri akal jee,

veere aa kee keh deta tussi.

tell me, were the lepers of calcutta all christians to whom mother rendered her healing touch? all those lepers were shunted out of their community by their own ppl,nobody even went near them.

during the 84 riots in delhi mother organised erlief camps and personally came to console and support the sikh victims.

she was a person way above these narrow outlooks.

some ppl may say that some of her followers converted to christanity.it's true to some extent but tht was because they were so devoted to the mother and so attracted to her persona that they decided to adopt everything which had a link with mother.she never forced anyone to convert.

yes she truly deserves the title saint.

tha's cool....

well tha's exactly what i said in my first post "correct me if i'm wrong".... and forgive me if i said nethin wrong... but also like i said in my first post thats what i HEARD.... i never said i believed any of it, which is why i asked the sangat to clear up the issue wit me...

bhul chuk maaf...