• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fateh ji

khalsistan means - land of the pure

bull chuk maaf

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

105277[/snapback]

There is a thread about this in the sainsoldiers section.

From memory people reckoned khalis was arabic for pure. Shame really as we are not arabic plus in khalistani if you remove the stani portion you end up with khali which means empty in Punjabi and in arabic/persian it means empty and there is a desert called Rub Al Khali in Saudi Arabi.

Looks like some poeple have corrupted Khalsa to Khalis just for convenience and because khalistan(i) sounds better than Khalsastan(i)

• 2 years later...

khalis doesn't really mean pure in arabic. In old times there were towns called AL Khalis on arab land and those towns were filled with people who had no religion, but the muslim empires would try to go there to retrieve tax from them but those nomads always fought the muslims and never paid taxes. so those people were called khalis by the muslims the ones who stand up for themselves and equal rights and there land were also named Al Khalis which mean tax free land where people pay no taxes. And yes Ishtan means land lol.

Khalis - Pure

Isthan - Place

I used my handy dandy Dictionary application on my mac and got this

Khalsa |ˈkälsə| noun

the body or company of fully initiated Sikhs, to which devout orthodox Sikhs are ritually admitted at puberty. The Khalsa was founded in 1699 by the last Guru (Gobind Singh). Members show their allegiance by five signs (called the five Ks): kangha (comb), kara (steel bangle), kesh (uncut hair, covered by a turban, and beard), kirpan (short sword), and kuccha (short trousers, originally for riding).

ORIGIN via Urdu from Persian, from the feminine form of Arabic k āliṣ ‘pure, belonging to.’

Origins are handy things to have in handy, because the next thing I looked up was Khalistan.

Khalistan |ˌ kh äliˈstän; ˌkäl-; -ˈstan| the name given by Sikh nationalists to a proposed independent Sikh state.

ORIGIN compare with Arabic khālsa ‘pure, real, proper.’

Dunno how many people buy it, but it seems pretty convincing to me, and Apple hasn't done my wrong yet.

In the last few years a few scholars have been translating Khalsa with a different meaning. This is what i have heard.

In the old days of Mughal administration people who were "Khalsa" were the ones who paid their tribute or dealt directly with the Emperor. This was not through the usual third parties that would form the administration of the government i.e. various underchiefs such as rajahs, wazirs, Nawabs etc.

What the theory says is that in this way, Khalsa referred to those Sikhs/sangats that no longer had their relationship to Dasmesh pita via masands (or intermediates). In this way they directly dealt with the emperor bypassing anyone inbetween. As most of you with some knowledge would probably know, masands (originally started like a sort of bishop system by Guru Amar Das ji) had become really corrupt and was misleading the sangat and taking gifts meant for the Guru themselves in the time of Guru Gobind Singh ji. Amrit was used for this purpose.

That is what is said anyway.