accepting Hindu prasad

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

i was wondering as to what the sangat thinks about GurSikhs accepting prasad (offerings made to Hindu gods/goddesses) from Hindus. Sometime in the past i have refused from accepting it from my parents (who are Hindus), but it hurt them as they never hesitated from eating langar at the Gurdwara, and this act of mine was offensive to them. Although i wasn't forced to have it, i did feel bad. After all, whats wrong in accepting it if its done only as a sign of respect for another religion? Not like i am a worshipper of the deity! i know some (infact many) are gonna argue that its against the rehit, but disrespecting other faiths is also against the rehit, isn't it? Another probable answer i am expecting is "talk to them and tell them that u are not supposed to accept prasad". Well if a Sikh does this, it only gives non-Sikhs reason to reject Guru ka Langar too, dont u think? and wouldn't i feel bad then? After all everyone loves their religion the same way. Its gonna sound so disgusting telling someone else "i am superior, so i cant accept it. But u are free to eat langar".

i am not looking for any clearcut answer to this issue as i m pretty sure that there may not be one. People like me who have family members of another religion do have to take that extra step in being accomodative and accepting of each others' beliefs. It wouldn't be wrong if i say that i have already made up my mind on this issue, coz i have my own reasons and limitations, but i do wanna know what other Sikhs think/feel about this matter.

thanks for ur time

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Langar was started to show that everyone is equal, Kings beggers, Hindu, Muslim, Sikhi everyone is equal. Karah parshad i think was also started for the same reason by Guru Nanak dev ji.

Personally i dont see no reason not to eat hindu parshad. But by not eating arnt we saying, we are better than you, so we wont eat your food but u can eat ours.

I agree with Balait,

First, think about why you eat parshaad, its to accept the blessings of the God/Deity, etc. Should Guru Gobind Singh ji's Khalsa eat devi's or a deity's parshaad or accept their blessing? When you take karah parshaad from the Gurdwara Sahib its like a blessing from Guru Sahib and you accepting the offering is a sign of Guru's blessing.

Eating parshad is different from eating langar, langar is to quench the hunger of the body, parshad has a different meaning altogether.

So you have to look at what eating parshaad means to you. If your parents are giving you the parshaad, and it makes them feel better or happy that you take it, then I don't see anything wrong in it. Not taking the parshaad would be a form of ego that sets you apart from them. BUT, taking the parshaad at a mandir or from a pandit is something TOTALLY different and can be debated to be against rehat.

My two cents. :doh:

If your parents are giving you the parshaad, and it makes them feel better or happy that you take it, then I don't see anything wrong in it. Not taking the parshaad would be a form of ego that sets you apart from them.
yup...which is why i have to accept it, NOT coz i believe in anything THEY do.
BUT, taking the parshaad at a mandir or from a pandit is something TOTALLY different and can be debated to be against rehat.
yes i agree

thanks balait and khalsa veerz :T:

Mehtab Singha you just have to look at the lives of the guru Sahibaans.

You live in family which practices a different faith than you. Guru Nanak Dev Ji believed in not wearing the Janeoo and not getting married around agni. His Khatri parents must have been angry, but when someone gets on the path of Sikhi, then one only acts to please Akaal Purakh. Guru Nanak Dev Ji upset a lot of Pundits and Hindus in his lifetime, so much so that many tried to get the later Gurus eliminated by the Mughal regime.

I honestly think there is a big difference between respecting other faiths and practicing other faiths. Respect means don't do nindiya, don't harm another faith. Respect does not mean you have to partake in their rituals and ceremonies. When our Mulsim friends fast during Ramadan, how many Sikhs fast with them to show "respect"? Hindus do come to Gurdwara, do eat langar, do attend marriage ceremonies at gurughar, but Hindus do not have a rehit, do not have specific guidelines which define a hindu jeevan.

There are Amritdhari Sikhs who only eat roti made by amritdharis...that's a whole other tpoic.

But, hey you should respect your parents and your parents should respect you. If they are giving you parshad, then you should take it. Anyone who offers you something with love in their hearts should be accepted. I'm sure your parents will respect your rehit and I'm sure you will do what is in line with the rehit of a Sikh of Sri Guru Gobind Singh.

Sorry for anything wrong I may have spoken.

changa singh, Fateh!