DHAN DHAN SRI GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB JI

Amrit

Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji Maharaj, the King of Kings, the Saint of Saints and the master of Miri and Piri :doh:

The Guru reaffirmed instructions for the guidance of future generations of Sikhs in the performance of obsequies:

‘When a sikh dies, let not the obsequies of Hindus be performed for him. Let sacred food be prepared and distributed, let the Granth Sahib be intoned and a solemn prayer offered, as I caused to be done on hearing my father’s death. This is the way to prepare for the deceased a passage to Sach Khand.’

Only one body of men among his followers were dissatisfied at his accession. The massands, who used to collect offerings from the Sikhs, had become very dishonest and corrupt, and they now trembled at their misdeeds. They represented to Guru Jis mother, ‘It is the reign of the Mughals. We have nobody of mature age to protect and guide us. The Guru is yet a boy. Chandu is still an enemy. The Guru girdeth on his arms but for faqirs to lord it over men is a course that involves peril. The preceding five Gurus never handled arms.

If Jahangir hear out Guru’s doings he will be angry; and where shall we hide ourselves?’

Guru Jis mother replied, ‘Have no anxiety. Guru Nanak Dev Jis hand is on my son’s head. The Guru lives for ever. Bhai Budha’s words, that Har Gobind shall be a temporal as well as spiritual ruler and shall wield two swords, are about to be fulfilled.’

Not withstanding however, the courageous face she showed the masands, she remonstrated with Guru Ji, ‘My son we have no treasure, no state revenue, no landed, property, no army. If you walk in the way of your father and grandfather, you shall be happy.’

Guru Ji replied, in the words of Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj,

‘The Lord who is the searcher of all hearts, is my guardian’.

‘Have no anxiety whatever for me, everything shall be according to the will of Waheguru.’