Gurbani and Vedas, Shahtras, Simritis and Puranas

I have always believed that Gurbani rejects the authority of Vedas, Shastras and other Hindu holy books. I spent some time studying Gurbani panktees regarding vedas etc. Thanks to Bhai Kahan Singh Ji Nabha who wrote on this topic and published it in 1899. You all can read it yourself and hope you enjoy it. http://www.searchsikhism.com/hind8.html

More articles on Hinduism: http://www.searchsikhism.com/hinduism.html

Next topic will be idol worship and Bhagat Dhanna Ji.

bhu swsqR bhu isimRqI pyKy srb FFoil ]

pUjis nwhI hir hry nwnk nwm Amol ]1]

Any other arguments in favor of Vedas, Shastras, Simritis, Puranas etc.?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Hindu: It is written in Guru Granth:

By reading of Vedas one loses bad intellect

Sikh: It really means, if one does recitation and proper contemplation then one’s sins disappear, as “When lamp is lighted darkness disappears.”

If someone does recitation without reflecting, one does not gain the real fruit. It is said, a Sikh was reciting Bani incorrectly and without considering the meaning. Guru Gobind Singh Ji punished him. If you really believe that recitation of Vedas and other texts removes sins, then let us recite Vedas to ignorant ‘Dura Charias’ (bad characters) and test if their bad intellect is converted into good one or not. To prove to you that in this hymn there is no praise of Vedas we quote these phrases.

Can the Author Guarantee me that if a 'Dura Charia' read the Guru Granth Sahib will he be converted to good? I have known and seen people who recite, do loads of padth daily for many many years yet they still had ignorance within them, they still had hatred, anger. Namely how many times does a Granthi read the Guru Granth Sahib in life and how many of them have been found to be Drunks, full of ego, hatred??

Reading the Vedas is the world's occupation; the Pandits read them, study them and contemplate them. Without understanding, all are ruined. (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 791)

Yes all are ruined without understanding. Is that not obvious? You must understand what you are reading? How is this quote giving the Vedas a bad name? Does that make the Vedas wrong because the Pandits who read them are still ignorant?? Do you blame the Guru because his Sikh lost the way or the Sikh for not understanding what the Guru was trying to teach him/her?

Personally from my experience reading Gurbani, I feel that Gurbani does not "knock" or call the VEDAS PURANAS bad but instead Guru sahib says that all these were made by the inspiration of God...However Baani says that Naam is above all the vedas etc.

bhu swsqR bhu isimRqI pyKy srb FFoil ] (265-8, gauVI suKmnI, mÚ 5)

baho saastar baho simritee paykhay sarab dhadhol.

The many Shaastras and the many Simritees - I have seen and searched through them all.

pUjis nwhI hir hry nwnk nwm Amol ]1] (265-9, gauVI suKmnI, mÚ 5)

poojas naahee har haray naanak naam amol. ||1||

They are not equal to Har, Haray - O Nanak, the Lord's Invaluable Name. ||1||

I have tried to read the vedas so I can have an understanding of what they preach. I think as Sikhs we should do our homework and read Vedas etc so people who are making claims that Sikhi is inspired by the vedas etc can be countered with educated responses.

I suggest the following link to get a feel for the scared texts of Hinduism and Islam.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/index.htm

Fateh!

Can the Author Guarantee me that if a 'Dura Charia' read the Guru Granth Sahib will he be converted to good?

Pheena Ji you may be very knowledgeable but there is a big difference between knowing Sikhi and practicing Sikhi. Your question tells me that you are not very familiar with the power of Gurbani. Bhai Sadhu Singh had very bad hearing. He could not speak very well either. After reading Gurbani, his hearing and speaking both improved very well. His story is fully explained in Se Kineheya, biography of Baba Harnaam Singh Ji. Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji (in Rangley Sajjan , not sure) also wrote a similar account of someone who was unable to sit and could not do anything else. He was cured by Akhand Paath Sahib. In Andithi Duniya, Bhai Sahib Ji writes how a person was liberated from pret jooni.

Vasu Bhardvaaj had a bone cancer. Doctors told him that he would die soon. Just by listening to Akhand Paath Sahib he was cured. read his story HERE. A police officer from maharashtra had some type of cancer. He lost all his hair and the doctors told him he would die within a month. He came to Darbar Sahib, took ishnaan and listened to Akhand Paath Sahib. On the third day he felt very healthy. All the doctors he went to found no sign of disease. Another hindu guy had an accident and his eyes were severely injured. He started losing his sights day by day. Nothing but listening to Gurbani cured him. These stories are new, happened within last 4-5 years. Of course fascist indian country wouldn't telecast anything like that on tv nor would the media cover the stories. But who can hide the truth? These people live in Amritsar and go to Darbar Sahib everyday.

It was power of Gurbani that turned low caste slaves into warriors who freed Indian land from Mughals and British. It was power of Gurbani that few Sikhs took on the army of thousands and won the battles.

"Five hundred of Najaf Khan's horse dare not encounter fifty Sikh horsemen."

Colonel A.L.H. Polier, a Swiss officer in the Mughal in Delhi, 1776

I do not want to repeat the history but hopefully you are well aware of bravery of Sikhs. Gurbani is the main source of our power. When you fall in love with Gurbani just one single word will pierce your heart, your mind will be filled with love and only then you will understand the true power of listening Gurbani. Vedas and Shastras are of no value in front of Dhur Ki Bani.

I have known and seen people who recite, do loads of padth daily for many many years yet they still had ignorance within them, they still had hatred, anger. Namely how many times does a Granthi read the Guru Granth Sahib in life and how many of them have been found to be Drunks, full of ego, hatred??

Pheena Ji, if you give me one story I will give you two to counter your argument. I have seen loads of people leaving the life of drugs, sex and gangs to Sikhi of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. My own uncle used to get drunk every night. Just one glimpse of true Gursikhs and his life changed completely. He changed within minutes. My own friend who thought about nothing but girls all the time quit everything and is now learning Kirtan and taking santhiya. He is only 22 years old now. At this age, he quit all the bad habits. he spends all day in Gurbani and in sangat of gursikhs. I guess it all depends on what you want to see and what you want to ignore. Just because there are few bad apples doesn't mean Gurbani has no power.

Yes all are ruined without understanding. Is that not obvious?

It wasn't obvious more than 500 years ago. To many hindus it still isn't. giving examples wouldn't be a good idea.

How is this quote giving the Vedas a bad name? Does that make the Vedas wrong because the Pandits who read them are still ignorant??

pheena ji, your entire post was irrelevant to the topic. We are not discussing the message of vedas or whether vedas are good or bad. We are simply discussing if vedas are given any higher authority than other holy books in Gurbani. We are discussing if vedas are accepted in Gurbani. Clearly the article proves that vedas have no authority in Sikhi, their message is not accepted and therefore Sikhi is completely separate from Hinduism. can you give me one example from Gurbani that degrades vedas or other holy books? can you prove Gurbani says ill things about vedas, quran and bible? Simple, their authority is not accepted and they are not given any status in Sikhi. Only Naam is emphasized in Gurbani. Do you not concur? If not then please prove it.

Please stay within the scope of Gurbani not what you have heard or what people do in the name of religion. We are only discussing acceptance of vedas in Gurbani. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh