Younk Sikhs (UK) Criticise False Portrayal

YOUNG SIKHS (UK) CRITICISE FALSE PORTRAYAL OF SIKHS BY LORD AHMED

Just as we went to press we had a report that Lord Ahmed appeared on Radio 5 Live on Wednesday 13 July on the Nicky Campbell show and falsely accused Sikhs of carrying out a suicide bombing to kill Rajiv Gandhi. Young Sikhs (UK) was immediately on to Radio 5 Live to point out the mistake made by Lord Ahmed. The BBC was asked to make a correction pointing out those responsible for killing Rajiv Gandhi were not Sikhs, but Hindu Tamils and to allow a Sikh on air to give a Sikh perspective and put the record straight.

Given the totally unjust attacks on Sikhs and our religious institutions, Sikhs need to be vigilant of those that will deliberately or otherwise show Sikhs in a negative light and guard against those completely ignoring Sikhs. The question also needs to be asked: was this a genuine mistake by

an intelligent and articulate politician who should know much better or was it deliberate to deflect attention away from Muslims.

The Sikh assistant to Lord Ahmed was also immediately contacted and asked to have words with Lord Ahmed. The assistant said Lord Ahmed was told he had made a mistake and he agreed to ring Radio 5 Live to point this out. It was described as a "slip of the tongue" - is this good enough when said on national radio?

People need to be very clear about suicide bombings. The first recorded suicide bombing took place during the Crusades in the 11th century, when the Christians deliberately blew up one of their ships, losing 140 men but killing many more Muslims. In World War II, Japanese kamikaze pilots saw it as an honour to fly missions which led to certain death. In modern times suicide attacks started in Beirut in 1981. The first such bombings in the West were the September 11 attacks and Britain's first suicide bomber was Asif Hanif who blew himself up in Tel Aviv in 2003.

Young Sikhs (UK)

Lord Ahmed probably made a mistake out of haste but still I hope the Sikhs did manage to put the record straight. That kind of false allegation is not going to help matters.

BTW Suicide bombings are also commonly used by Hindu Tamil Tigers against the mainly Buddhist Sri Lankans...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Isn't this the same Lord Ahmed who supports the All Party Parliamentary Group for Sikhs, and who shows up on all Lobby Days?  ohmy.gif   grin.gif   :mconfu:

Waheguroo

108730[/snapback]

Yeap, the very same Lord Ahmed. Who was indeed present yesterday at the APPG.

We have to be alert and inform and correct any inacurracies that arise immediately.

Did any one watch the houses of commons where the MPS question tony blair. The 1st question was by Keith Vaz who was present at the APPG launch yesterday, and guess what neither did he, or ANY ONE else mention "SIKHS" let alone the all the attacks that have been going on. All I heard blair and others rattling on about was islam this islam that, muslim community are vitcims etc etc etc ( I wouldnt be surprised if the whole damn questioning revolved around islam,muslims and other related issues) Blair also had a meeting with 4 muslim mps or something no mention of Sikhs even though alot of pressure was applied to various MPS during the APPG lanuch yesterday. ohmy.gif

Lord Ahmed in an email response has stated that he made an inadvertant mistake. In an email exchange with Ranjit Singh, he says:

"Dear Ranjit,

Thank you for your email. I would be obliged if you could let every one know that my interview was slip of tongue and I apologise for offending my Sikh brothers and sisters , whom I love and respect dearly

Kind Regards

Nazir Ahmed"

It has been suggested that he issue a statement to this affect.

Please ensure that we report all inaccuracies so that appropriate steps can be taken to rectify them.