"policemen had stuffed his mouth with cigarettes"

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Here is something I read on sikhnet.com, these cops are using same tactics they used against Singhs around 1984. Baba Jarnail Singh Ji talk about these incidents and how to deal with these cops in one of his tape.

Subject: Complaint regarding hurt of religious sentiments of Jagtar Singh and the Sikhs.

The Chairperson and companion Members

National Human Rights Commission

Sardar Patel Bhavan, Parliament Street

New Delhi

Hon’ble Sirs:

I bring to your notice an incident, which has deeply hurt the sentiments of the Sikhs. A perusal of the clipping of the Indian Express, attached to this note, will show that the Delhi police have resorted to an utterly demeaning and humiliating act against Jagtar Singh Hawara. He has also expressed anxiety that apprehension that he will be killed by the Delhi police.

2. The Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) has been closely following the probe against Jagtar Singh Hawara. We wish to point out that the Delhi police, officials of other crime investigating central agencies and the Punjab police are all following extrajudicial methods to implicate Jagtar Singh Hawara in various false and fabricated cases. In a bizarre twist to his investigation, a few hundred of his relatives, friends and family members have been illegally detained at various unknown places. His counsel has also mentioned that Hawara fears that his wife, who is being harassed and tortured by the Punjab police, will also be eliminated by the police.

3. Jagtar Singh Hawara has alleged through his counsel, Mr. Arvind Thakur, in the media (Indian Express, Chandigarh edition, July 13, 2005) that during the course of his investigation in Delhi during the last 4-5 weeks, the Delhi police had grievously hurt his religious sentiments. I quote the operative part of the news report: “(Jagtar Singh) Hawara further accused the Delhi police of hurting his religious sentiments. He alleged that some policemen had stuffed his mouth with cigarettes and other intoxicants. Thakur expressed the apprehension that Hawara could be eliminated in a fake encounter by the Delhi police.”

4. In the present surcharged atmosphere, it is very easy for the State and some “nationalist” human rights bodies to gloss over the details of torture and harassment. A conspiratorial silence on such violations, borders on the verge of condoning such acts of the police and the investigating agencies. Civil society, of which the National Human Rights Commission is a part, should take immediate notice.

5. In this regard, I wish to quote, Ms. Preeta Bansal, Chairperson of the United States Commission on International Religious Freedoms. In the foreword of Issue 4 of the newsletter of the Commission, early this year, she says, “When respected, freedom of religion or belief is one of the linchpins of stable, democratic, productive societies. When denied generations of hatred may be sown. Throughout the world today, the religious and sectarian dimensions to human conflict cannot be ignored. Yet where governments protect religious freedom, and citizens value it, religious persecution and religion-based violence often find little appeal, and other fundamental human rights, the rule of law and democracy are accorded greater value.”

6. We appeal to you to intervene. Irrespective of the nature of allegations against Jagatar Singh Hawara, due process of law is a prerequisite of any civilized society. Under no circumstances, should Guantanamo Bay-like incident (where the Holy Koran was held in disrespect by some prison guards) should be allowed to be repeated. To stuff cigarettes in the mouth of a Sikh is stuff out his life. To use cigarettes as a weapon is an intolerable act. The entire Sikh people, who have read this report, share the agony of those moments of torture when this disrespectful and intimidating act was done by the Delhi police. This deliberate act was intentioned, not only to be used as an investigating tool but also to provoke and overawe the Sikhs. We would like to humbly submit that Sikhs are vigilant to such methodologies of the State agencies. It is to the credit of Jagtar Singh Hawara that he withstood such torture.

7. Such an act attracts the provisions of the Indian Penal Code, namely, Section 295-A read with Section 148 and 149. Section 295-A lists deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs. Section 148 and 149 refer to the collective guilt of the concerned officers. It is also illative of India’s international commitment to ensure that no one is tortured and the religious beliefs of every person are respected.

8. We have deliberately not petitioned the Punjab State Human Rights Commission as it’s working is in limbo because of the intervention of the Punjab Haryana High Court against the Commission members. Even this problem requires the active consideration of the NHRC. The Punjab police should be directed to stop the harassment of Jagtar Singh Hawara’s wife, Balwinder Kaur and all other friends and relatives illegally detained by the police.

9. I request you to kindly treat this as a formal complaint. The Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), on behalf of the Sikh people, seeks a high-level inquiry and registration of criminal cases against the erring police personnel. The guilty police officials should be identified, arrested, tried and punished. Any delay or condoning of this onslaught on the religious beliefs of Jagtar Singh Hawara and through him of the entire Sikh people, will remain embedded in our minds as a racial act against the Sikhs and we will nurture this for all times to come. You will appreciate that collective hurt is never forgotten.

With regards

Prof. Jagmohan Singh

General Secretary & Spokesperson

Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar)

13 July 2005

i love my India, jai hind. hey at least the PM of India is Sikh right :)

yeah right! where the heck is manmohan sio that fruit cake! What is the point of contacting the U.N. when the darn PM of India will say hey look i'm sikh and i am PM of India how can India be violating a sikh's religious sentiments. I'm telling you man it is a joke.

P.S. Did the UN miss the 200,000 sikhs killed earlier? Does the Un know that Sardar SS Mann has been in jail for like a month now? There is no justice for Sikhs in Punjab and India, hopefully when one day the sleeping Quam will get it through their thick pags.

I h8 da PM Manmohan Singh. Makes me sik evrytym i c im on telly or photos feel like knokin the dude out. He duno wa he's doin. Confused Man. Pagal Buhndha. Shouldnt he be wearing a Patka/Dastaar underneath his Pagh? I dnt even no if he has hair.

Indya Gov are Dihleh. Corrupt shites.

to me Manmohan Singh just seems like to much of a nice guy. hard to picture him being corrupt and evil.....just bholla (naive) and lacks anakh. he however is very educated.

btw he was probably made leader of congress by sonia gandhi because after 1984 no sikh would have voted for them but now that a sikh is representing them every sikh will.

I see here that a lot of people are underestimating Manmohan Singh ji.

In the Bible it is written very clearly that 'THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH".

I do not see any greater example of humility around than Shri Manmohan Singh. Also if anyone has gone through the quatrains of Nostradamus where he has mentioned his prophecies, he has clearly mentioned about the emergence of a great leader in the East who shall wear a blue turban and shall deliver a 'great nation from subjection' and unite the world against oppression. He could probably be referring to Manmohan Singh IMO. Also he talks about a 'White turban' prince from Arabia who could well be Osama. But anyhow here are the quatrains:

IX.73_The king enters Foix wearing a blue turban, he will reign for less than a revolution of Saturn [29.5 yrs]; the king with the white turban, his heart banished to Byzantium, Sun, Mars, and Mercury near Aquarius [February 1994].

III.60_Throughout Asia there will be great proscription, also in Mysia, Lycia and Pamphylia [NW, SW, and S Turkey]. Blood will flow because of the absolution of a young dark man, filled with evil doing.

II.28_The penultimate of the prophet's name [? ?] will take Monday for his day of rest. He will wander far in his frenzy delivering a great nation from subjection.

sorry to burst your bubble raju but man"woman" sio made tytler his NRI minister..the same jagdish tytler who killed thousands of sikhs personally in the delhi pogroms. If your talking about a guy in a blue turban whi is gonna unite the world it will be aamritdhari sikh, not a congressiah who is not even amritdhari.

Sorry sir, but only 'time' will tell if my 'bubble' has burst or not. I think Manmohan Singh ji is the best thing to happen to India. He has a very soft, kind hearted and gentlemanly exterior, but weilds a big stick behind and his love for India is fierce. He is also a man of principles and I don't think God will fail such a nice man. The prince with white turban is Laden and his tribe of Islamists and Manmohan Singh will defeat the evil forces.

And as far as Tytler is concerned it is not the fault of Manmohan Singh ji that a criminal like that is still a minister. It is a problem of selective application of law due to political pressure. But if there is a God above he will meet his just fate.