Serving Karah Parshad in Gurudwara

desilad

WJKK

WJKF

I have been visiting the local gurudwara (Pk Avenue, Sthall) on Saturday mornings, around 10ish. When it comes to collecting parshad, I noticed that one of the ladies serving parsahd was wearing ring on her finger with the hand that she was serving the parshad. This was about 2/3 weeks ago. I took the parshad, and went to the Giani Ji sitting quite close to her, requesting him in my humble way, that Prashad (a precious thing) should be served without any jewellery on hands, and he should speak with the person serving the parshad. To which the Giani ji said yes they will speak with her.

Once again yesterday, the same lady served me the parshad, and I noticed that she was still wearing her ring. To which I took parshad, and humbly requested her that while before serving parshad she should take her ring off, (obviously will have to wash her hands). To shock she quite rudely ignored me telling me off "Kara vi Lah dena chadia pher" (We should take the Kara off or something). to which I said fateh to ler and left.

No comments on the person serving or to the Giani or the Gurudwara.

1. When it comes to serving parsahd, we should not have any rings, as the part under the ring doesnt stay clean. Kara is different it moves around, and is not on our hands.

2. The Gurudwara's dont have any codes of conduct or anything to who comes and does what seva. I understand with Sikhi our doors are open to all, but with current times, we should be smarter and more vigilant, to ensure that the Seva, in Gurudwara, in langars is done with full respect.

3. I have been quite distressed by the incident in the Gurudwara. Fiirstly I blame myself, as I not a true Gur Sikh, and still need to walk on the Path of Panth Khalsa. Secondly, that why should I allow something which is not right to happen when it comes to my Guru or Guru Khar. If I blatenly see something going wrong, why do I walk away. May be I need to be more stronger in myself and take a hard stand rather than being polite and diplomatic.

Come on Veero, and Bhenji's, What can be done in order to improve what happens in the background at the Guru Khars, I mean in the Kitchen, in other places other than where the Maharaj parkash is.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

WJKK

WJKF

WJKK

WJKF

I have been visiting the local gurudwara (Pk Avenue, Sthall) on Saturday mornings, around 10ish. When it comes to collecting parshad, I noticed that one of the ladies serving parsahd was wearing ring on her finger with the hand that she was serving the parshad. This was about 2/3 weeks ago. I took the parshad, and went to the Giani Ji sitting quite close to her, requesting him in my humble way, that Prashad (a precious thing) should be served without any jewellery on hands, and he should speak with the person serving the parshad. To which the Giani ji said yes they will speak with her.

Once again yesterday, the same lady served me the parshad, and I noticed that she was still wearing her ring. To which I took parshad, and humbly requested her that while before serving parshad she should take her ring off, (obviously will have to wash her hands). To shock she quite rudely ignored me telling me off "Kara vi Lah dena chadia pher" (We should take the Kara off or something). to which I said fateh to ler and left.

No comments on the person serving or to the Giani or the Gurudwara.

1. When it comes to serving parsahd, we should not have any rings, as the part under the ring doesnt stay clean. Kara is different it moves around, and is not on our hands.

2. The Gurudwara's dont have any codes of conduct or anything to who comes and does what seva. I understand with Sikhi our doors are open to all, but with current times, we should be smarter and more vigilant, to ensure that the Seva, in Gurudwara, in langars is done with full respect.

3. I have been quite distressed by the incident in the Gurudwara. Fiirstly I blame myself, as I not a true Gur Sikh, and still need to walk on the Path of Panth Khalsa. Secondly, that why should I allow something which is not right to happen when it comes to my Guru or Guru Khar. If I blatenly see something going wrong, why do I walk away. May be I need to be more stronger in myself and take a hard stand rather than being polite and diplomatic.

Come on Veero, and Bhenji's, What can be done in order to improve what happens in the background at the Guru Khars, I mean in the Kitchen, in other places other than where the Maharaj parkash is.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

WJKK

WJKF

109304[/snapback]

Kara is Kakkar, you shuold never remove it!! A ring isnt even Sikhi. It was given from valentine to his wife as a tocken of his love and from there, so many people took it on to do the same. its now tradition.

The ring shows love to a person, Kara shows love for Guru Ji.

Go back and refise to take parshad. Many a time i have done this whereby when the sevadar is seated, then gets up to serve again. When getting up he is touching the floor therefore his hands are not sucha anymore. The sink is rite next to them, say 2 or 3 steps away.

Again keep telling the commitee, chances are they wont listen!!! but keep at them!!! Also do Ardaas that this stops and maharaj forgives you for refusing parshad when the person knows themselves they should have clean hands.

What about germs etc in your nails ? Should sevadars scrub their nails with an anti bacterial wash before serving prashad ?

Talking about hygeine have you guys noticed people kindly spitting green flem in sinks etc. Once I saw this baba from India trying to have a bath in a sink (its true).

I took the parshad, and went to the Giani Ji sitting quite close to her, requesting him in my humble way, that Prashad (a precious thing) should be served without any jewellery on hands, and he should speak with the person serving the parshad.

Fateh,

A Sikh should always remain humble regardless of where he is or what hes doing. HUmblness shouldnt be confined to within the walls of the gurdwara, Our GuruShabad is always with us, and so is Waheguru, so we shud act and display the same level of respect and reverence at all times to both our guru and all other Gods creation. This being said, humbleness stems from ones thinking, their 'mutt' not by ones attire (clothing, jewelery etc.). Yes our clothing shud be respectable and appropriate but this does not imply that it has to be cheap or homemade. One can wear namebrand clothes, or drive nice cars, renouncing these and adopting a simple kurta or choga dress isnt the way to achieve humbleness. Its in wearing the clothes yet remaining unattached to them; in wearing nice clothes but not taking pride in them or feeling that u must wear them or only wear them and nothing cheap. Even the Guru doesnt forbid his Sikh from wearing nice clothes:

ijh pRswid pwt ptMbr hFwvih ]By His Grace, you wear silks and satins;

One can wear silk,satins, etc but in wearing them always remember who gave them to u and be in constant thanks to Him. Likewise, a Sikh isnt forbidden to wear jewelery, only piercings and pierced jewelery is forbidden. But clip ons, rings, necklaces etc are in no way forbidden or condemned by the Guru.

ijh pRswid AwBUKn pihrIjY ] By His Grace, you wear decorations;

and similarly, it is also thru his benevolence that one is able to wear and appreciate the various perfumes, colognes we have available to us.

ijh pRswid sugMDq qin lwvih ]

By His Grace, you apply scented oils to your body;

The point of this is not that eveyr Sikh shud go out and dress like some rock star or beauty pageant queen, but simply that what we wear is a personal decision and so long as it is respectable and not inappropriate for the setting it is permissable.

So if one chooses to wear rings during distribution of degh than do not consider it a paap or gunaah. During the course of a day inummerable dirt, bacteria collects on ones skin and that is why we wash our hands before serving or doin sewa. But even more collects under the nails, and as mentioned above we wud have to install OR scrub stations at every gurdwara to eliminate any dirt. Even then the sleeves, shirt, pagh, chunee all collect microorganisms and debris and cannot be completey eliminated. The dirt under the ring is not any more then that under the nails, skin, or clothing. Only cure wud be to have a full shower and change of clothes.

So rather than concering oneself with how much jewelry one has on when inside a gurdwara, we shud be focusing one how much filth one has in their mind when they enter the gurudwara. Cuz isnt the mind more imporant than all other organs of the human body, and if we are so stringent on a mere finger and denying/refusing sewa on such grounds then one cannot even imagine how many people's sewa we would have to forcibly prevent or refuse based on the dirt in their minds.

So instead Let us try and encourage each other and give support to those who partake in sewa and pray that by engaging in such activities and seeking the guidnce of SGGS that they can achieve jeevan mukhtee and become one with God.

Apologies for any unintentional offense or any wrong words.

Fateh