'Saas giraas' technique - any historical evidence?

Confu Singh

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bhai Randheer Singh Jee definitely did not start this as every great sant of that time has written about it no matter what group they are from.

There are historical documents about this technique and it is written about again and again in guru granth sahib jee.

There are stories passed down by families of how their ancestors from hundreds of years ago also did naam japna.

as for your concrete evidence, i will leave that to someone else.

There are various historical sources which mention this. I don't have them off hand here but will ask another singh to post them. Also, read the section on naam in the book about Sant Attar Singh Mastunwalay, written by sant prof. teja singh. He tells about this technique and mentions historical references from the time of Guru Nanak Dev Jee. It's also written about by Shaheed Bhai Manee Singh.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

As far as I know - in punjabi we have the word "GIRAAEE(n)" or more fluently spoken "graee(n)".. which means a morsel of food - a piece of Roti

I think Saas Giraas means "Breath, Morsel"

Meaning - with every breath you take, and every morsel of food you eat, you recite God's name.

Saas Saas is the technique, which means "Breath (in), Breath (out)"

Bhai Daya Singh jee's rehitnamas talk about it

The mention of "saas saas simro prubh apnaa" and "saas giraas" and "satgur naam driraaeaa" are ALL OVER Guru Granth SAhib jee

So yes it has significance and backing in history and Gurmat

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Guest noonespecial

couldn't saas saas simro gobind merely mean that Guru wants us to remember Waheguru with each breath? And if so? If I SAY Waheguru ALL day isn't that the same efect as doing saas giraas simran?

Not looking to cause problems just lookin for an answer.

Fateh!

Saas Graas specifically means to say Waheguru's name with every breath, (admin cut) you cannot give out techniques of naam simran like that.. only panj piyarai can do that) Many Singhs/Singhneaa can be heard doing this in AKJ kirtans if you listen closely. And also if you read Bhai Randheer Singh Ji's books he also mentions this technique.

Just my 2 cents. rolleyes.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!