Question About The Rehat Maryada?

Guest Guest

Some of the meat consumers try to justify their act through the hunting incidents by Guru Ji. They get false impression that if Guru Ji used to hunt animals, probably they used to eat their meat too. But various sikh scriptures witness that guru ji used not to hunt for eating. We read in many verses written by Guru Ji themselves, Bhagats in Guru Granth Sahib Ji which strictly and clearly instruct the sikhs against killing animals and eating their meat. It also does not fit with philosophy of "having mercy on creatures of God" and "Sarbat da Bhalla". Guruji clearly says mercy is mother of religion and without mercy the spirtual light can not be ignighted within anyone.

"Dhaul Dharam Daiya ka poot" in Japu ji Sahib.

and

"Nirdaiya nahi joti ujala" in Ramkali M. 1 page 906.

From the details given by Guru ji themselves about some of hunting incidents, it becomes very clear that the hunting used to be done to free their former followers or Bhagats from the cycle of death and birth as animals. Let us have a closer look on some of the huntings done by Guru Jis:

1. The hunting of a wild pig in Wadali (Amritsar) by Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji Maharaj:

The incident has been described in "Tareekh Guru Khalsa at pages 488 - 489). One landlord (farmer) came to Guru ji and reported that there was one very dangerous wild pig in his sugarcane field. Since last few months this was a burdon to people of this area, it detroyed their crops regularly. Many people tried to kill it but failed. Guru ji along with Panda Khan, Bidi Chand and Bhalan went for hunting this pig and killed it. Farmers were very pleased at this. At the time of his death this pig's soul started singing praises of Guru Ji. On being asked by Bhai Bidi Chand, the soul replied:

" I used to be sikh of Guru Arjun Dev ji and used to live in Beerh Baba Budha Sahib ji (near jhabal in Amritsar; now there is beutiful Gurudwara built there, the sewa of this Gurudwara was undertaken by Baba Kharak Singh Ji, a well revered sikh octogenarian saint) to serve Baba Budha Ji. When Mata Ji (wife of Guru Arjun Dev Ji) went in horse baggi to Baba Budha ji with a wish of son, Baba ji said "Guru ke mahala noo kidron bhaajarh pai hai". I did not like this comment of Baba Budha Ji, I got upset with Baba ji and passed some hot remarks to Baba Budha Ji. He said, "Soor vangu ghur-ghur karda firda hai, soor hoinga". Means you are groaning like a pig, and will become pig. Then I was scared and held the feet of Baba ji, and cried for being freed from pig "Juni". Then he blessed me, "The great son from the same Mata Ganga will free you from pig's body and will grant you Mukti (from cycle of birth and death)."

According to the above account GuruJi killed the above pig to grant Mukati to the former sikh of Guru-Ghar and he did it according to promise given by Baba Budha Sahib Ji. This hunting was by no means to eat pig's meat. It may be added here that Baba Budha Ji was honoured with service to Six Guruji,s and was loved very much by all of them. It was according to recognition of his spirtual level, that sixth Guruji sent Mata Ganga Ji to him for fulfulling her wish of a son -- Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji.

2. Hunting of a lion in Dhaulpur (Rajasthan) by Sri Guru Hargobind Singh Ji:

History tells that Guru ji had to stay overnight in Dhoulpur on his way to Gwalier along with King Jahangir. The residents of Dhoulpur complained to King Jahagir about a dangerous lion living in a forest near Dhaulpur. They requested that they may be freed from a constant danger from this lion by killing the lion.

Jahangir prepared his men for this hunting and took Guru Ji with him. Inspite of all efforts by King's persons the lion some how progressed near to king himself, then king asked for help to Guru Ji. Guru ji without any delay came ahead to combat the lion, and asked the lion, "Kal yamun! I give first chance to you to attack on me, use your full strength so that you don't repent it later on". The lion attacked first and Guru ji saved himself and then attacked with his sword and killed the lion.

Later the King and others asked Guru ji about the lion being called as "kal yamun" by him. Then Guru ji answered, " I know him from many "Yugas" and he was waiting for me here since long time. In "Doapar Yuga" when Krishna Ji killed Kans, and then defeated Jarasand for seventeen times. Eiteenth time Kal Yamun abbetted Jarasand against Krishna Ji. Krishna Ji then had to leave Mathura and take shelter in the cave of Rishi Manchkund. When Krishna Ji reached the cave of this rishi, he was asleep. Rishi Manchkunda had a blessing that just by looking at someone, he could burn him. Krishan ji put his safron coloured cloth on the Rishi and hid himself in the cave. Manchkunda followed Krishna ji to the cave, and thinking that the person under the cloth was Krishna ji, he woke up Manchkunda rishi. When manchkunda looked at him, the Kal yamun got burnt to death. Manchkunda repented at this death and asked the way to be freed from the sin which he earned by killing Kal Yamun. Krishna ji arranged a great "Yagia" (it was a religious act in Doapar) by building 68 "Kunda,s". Upon being requested by Manchkunda rishi that Kal Yamun might also be granted "Mukti", Krishna ji said, " I will grant him Mukti in Kalyuga".

So according to the promise given by Krishna ji in Doyapar Yuga, Guru Hargobind Singh Ji granted Mukti to Kal Yamun.

At present there is a Gurudwara at the place where Guru Ji had hunted the lion in Dhaulpur. This hunting was done near to hindu temple of Manchkunda. This place is situated about 3 km west to Dhoulpur city and Gurudwara's name is "Gurudwara shri Sher Shikaar Sahib". Many of the Krishna's follower in Rajasthan (India) regularly arrage fairs at this Gurudwara and sing praises of Guru ji, they consider him reincarcenation of Krishna ji.

3. Shri Guru Hari Rai Sahib Ji -- a strange hunter

At page 594 of Tareekh Khalsa it is mentioned that Shri Guru Hari Rai Ji was very compassionate and mercyful at heart. He used to do hunting but he had issued special instructions to his men about not killing any animal. He used to catch the old, week and sick animals. He had kept hundreds of such wild animals, the proper care as far as their treatment and food was concerned used to be undertaken, and then the animals used to be left free in forest after some time. This is also supported by Mahima Prakash (Sakhi 167; pages 545-546, vol. 2), as it is written there:

"Pun Daiyal Shikaar chad aave, sikh surbir sang gur dhave, ban pasu pankhi khed bas kare, kou na maare, jeewat maare, grahe mo rakh palana hoi, khan pan dukh tine na koi, bhaye ikatra kaii lakh hazaar, pasu pankhi bagh bilian siar."

The writer of Mahima Prakash is of opinion that whenever Guru ji killed some animal it was for relieving animals from extreme pains or for spirtual freedom of the animals considering their good deed during previous births.

"Jab kabhu Shikar kash mare, mano mukat karta ko mare"

Once Guru ji saw a rattle snake who was in extreme pain and in old age. He was being eaten by ants and was shaking his head and tail with pain -- as if he was requesting Guru ji for help. Guru ji killed this snake with arrow and relieved him from pains as well as cycle of death and birth (Mahima prakash, vol. 2 page 563).

4. Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji hunted a rabbit near Nandedh (presently known as Shri Hazoor Sahib Ji):

Once a rabbit was running across a field near to the place where Guru ji was sitting. Guru ji killed the rabbit with an arrow. The rabbit finally fell and died at the place, where now Gurudwara Shikaar Ghaat has been built.

On being asked by sikhs, Guruji revealed the details. Guru ji said the rabbit used to be Moola Khatari during time of Guru Nanak Dev ji. Guru ji once went to his house to meet him. Moola hid himself in his house and told his wife to tell lie to Guru ji that Moola was not at home. As Moola's wife told the lie to Guru ji, Guru ji (knowing the truth) said a salok:

"nal kirada dosati koorhe koorhi pai,

Maran na jape moolia, aave kite thai."

(salok M. 1, page 1412 in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji)

After this Guru ji left his home, Moola got bitten by a snake and died. People put Moola's body on a cot and brought to Guru Nanak Dev ji, and requested to forgive him. Then Guru ji said he will have to enter diffrent "Juni,s" due to his acts, but I will grant him "Mukati" in my 10th swaroop in Kalyuga.

Mahima Prakash and most of other sakhis give detail about the above hunting of the rabbit by Guru ji. None of them says that Guru ji ate this rabbit's meat after killing him. It is mentioned in all of these that Guru ji killed this rabbit to free Moola as per Guru ji's promise and grant him "Mukati".

We also have many other sakhis about of Guru Gobind Singh ji like --

(A.) Mukati of a bear who used to distributor of Prashad in Guru Arjun Dev Ji's darbar.

(B.) Hunting of a "Ghoghar" who used to be king. He became ghogar due to curse of a <admin-profanity filter activated> girl to whom he had raped.

(C.) Hunting of a Crow, who used to be sewadar in Langar of Guru Gobind Singh ji and used to remain upset and irritated all the time with sangat while doing sewa. Due to curse of a sikh of Guru ji he had to become crow.

(D.) Hunting of a Quail (I think "Tittar" in punjabi) who used to be a farmer. The farmer had taken loan while swearing by the name of Guru ji that he would return the loan to other person. He did not fulfill his promise. So guru ji caught him, removed his wings and left before a falcon (this falcon was a trader who had given loan to the farmer) to balance the account of that birth, and fulfilling his duty as witness (because the farmer had sworn by the name of Guru ji while getting loan).

(E.) Removing a doubt of Pandit keshav Dutt at Naina Devi Mountain:

Guru ji went on hunting and killed many animals. Guru ji brought and put all these dead animals near to "Havan Kund". Pandit Keshav Dutt was surprised at this act and objected to it. As Pandit Keshav Dutt questioned Guru ji about killing all those innocent animals, Guru ji revived all those animals and let them walk in diffrent directions back to jungle. Then Guru ji explained to Pandit Keshav Dutt that he searched for these souls (animals) to whom he wanted to grant "Mukti" (which is attainable with Jap-tap otherwise). Now he would have to find them again, because they have missed one great chance of salvation (Mukti) due to Pandit Keshav's objection. Pandit Keshav understood the real motive, and asked to be forgiven for his ignorance.

As is mentioned in Gurubani, "satguru sikh ko ji naal saware, satguru sikh ka halat palat saware" (sukhmani sahib ji). Means Guru Ji always helps his sikh for betterment of his both worlds -- this world (Halat) and next world (Parlok or Palat). Even when sikh enters diffrent "junis" (of lower animals) due to his misdeeds, Guru Ji has mercy on him. He finds him in that "juni" and grants him a stage which otherwise is attained by rishis after spending centuries of meditation and innumerable other religious acts.

It is not justice with our Great Guru ji,s to say that they killed animals to eat their meat. When someone says Guruji ate meat, he commits a sin of blaming guru ji of "Avar updese aap na kare". Because Guru ji in their bani have prohibited clearly the eating of meat. They never allowed meat in their Langars. We can find some historical Gurudwaras with their own dairy farms and agricultural land attached to them because wheat, rice, vegetables and milk products used to be produced in them for being used in Langar. None of Gurudwara has Goat farm or poultry farm attached to it !! If Guru ji used to eat meat they would have raised these animals too.

TO SUMMARISE AND UNDERSTAND THE BASIC CONCEPT BEHIND HUNTINGS:

To understand correctly, why guru ji used to hunt, we can equate (to some extent) Guru ji to a judge in worldly courts. A Judge gives death sentence to some person after looking at all his past records. Death penalty by a judge does not mean that anyone can kill to a person without being aware of anything about his or her past. The Guru ji knew about "Yugas" of previous births of a soul, as is very evident from above sakhis. The Guru Granth Sahib ji witnesses about Guru Ji's such vision over past, present and future -- called in Bani as "Pardrishti". On the basis of that vision The Guru ji's used to grant "Mukti" to diffrent animals. It was not for the purpose of eating their meat.

It is written in Dasam Granth too about the huntings. But no where it says it was for eating their meat. Neither these huntings should be considered mercyless acts, because in fact Guru ji used to grant them Mukati out of mercy towards them, sometimes even ignoring their misdeeds. Moreover Guru ji is bestower of life and death and Mukati, he could kill and then revive .... do we fit in this category ?????

bhula chuka maf

There is no question that taksal has had a lot of shaheddi's for the khalsa. But I don't think Baba jarnail singh ji and the other singh from taksal gave shaheddi for taksal itself. They all gave shaheddi for the khalsa panth. I am not question there haeart. I am questionting there Policies. All they things they say with the panth. How am i doing nindya. Just when someone does "nindya" it is so bad. I am telling my point of view and that is the truth. Sach tho na daro. Who says i am on the internet all the time LOL. You have over 2000 posts on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: @ :wub: @ . Your the one who has no-life. And please who gave yout he right to say my name. why you hiding your indentity? you have our name as Gupt dassan dass. The reason i am bringing taksal into this argument is because tha is all you talked about. RE-READ YOUR OWN POSTS FOR YOUR SAKE BECAUSE I THINK YOU FORGOT WHAT YOU WROTE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you seriously need to get off the internet and go read GURBANI. Because your addicted to these forums.

You give me twisted answers. You havent answered a SINGLE ONE OF MY QUESTIONS. Seriously read the post i posted before this one and answer those question before you talk. Your posts have shown me bhraman stories. LOL. I can't stop lauging. Krishna ji etc. In your story it says Guru ji was the reincarnation of KRISHNA!!!!!!!!!! YOu look hhow much Birpan kee reey this is. This is not even funny. Im disgusted.

Guest Real Taksali

I can answer every single quote AKJ.com has used. Also if hukamnama says don't go near flesh or fish. Then how did the Sikhs hunt. The Sikhs also hunted, not only Guru Ji. Even your taksal does katha on that stuff. As for giving mukti to animals. That is just brahmanvaad. Pure brahmanvaad. False Sakis with no credibility. It is Hindutava material to mislead Sikhs. Like now. You think Hindus were quiet before? You think they only started this Sikhs are Hindus rant now? You think they only started this bull that Guru Saihibs worshipped devi devtay? No. This stuff started long time ago. These false stories and granths and Sakis were created when Sikhs were in jungles. They had every single opportunity they needed. But due to jathas like yours, Sikhs have been unable to get away from Bipran Kee Reet and move forward and preach Sikhism. What do you think Guru Nanak ate in Tibet. There is no vegetation there. They only have meat products. Even Buddism which bans meat now says meat has to be eaten to try to feed everyone. Don't tell me soem fake Saki that Guru Nanak and Mardana didn't eat for months or years. Also the Bhai Bala Sakhi is full of anti-Sikh material. Just read Kattak Kay Visaakh by Karam Singh Historian. It clears the doubts. Don't just read taksal material. I know you don't read anything that isn't taksal. You have more than 11 Gurus. Admit it. When it has been proven with facts and historical data that Guru Nanak's birth is in Visaakh. Then why is taksal still following Bhai Bala Sakhi and saying Kaatak Pooranmashi? Why? Mai Naa Maanoo Kabhee Naa Maanoo. Ego is too big. All the sacrifices and hard work of Guru Maharaaj, their families, and the Sikhs has gone to waste. Everything has been ruined. Everyone makes their own maryada and tries to prove it to be valid by misquoting Gurbani or using false Sakhis or associating it with Guru Mahraaj or to Bhai Mani Singh or Baba Deep Singh.

E.g. This is Baba Deep Singh bir.

E.g. This si the place where Baba Deep Singh Ji prepared Shaheedi Degh (bhung) and fed it to Sangat.

The 2nd ones go even as far as saying Guru Ji took bhung and opium.

How low are these people going to go to try to change Sikhism accordign to thier beliefs?

You are saying Guru Ji and Sikhs hunted and threw the meat away. That is even worse as it is not even put to good use. How about Nagara, Tabla, all other singing instruments, some old dhaals, etc. What were they made from? How was it retrieved?

How do you think the Sikhs were so strong also? Don't tell me vegetables. Hari Singh Nalwa killed a Lion with his hands. Don't tell me someone can do that while

just living on vegetables.

Just answer why did Guru Ji accept the dear from the hunter?

Why did Guru Ji jhatka bakras at Madho Dass dera?

How about all the Mahparsaad cooking at Anandpur Sahib?

Also taksal's favourite Panth.

Some one needs Tilak and Janju.

Guest Real Taksali

You calling krishan as krishna ji tells it all. How can you use ji for a rapist. Who raped innocent girls. He forced them into having sex with him. That is rape. He took their clothing while they were bathing. Then he told them to come out naked else threatened to them that he won't give them their clothing back. When they did he said have sex with me and then I will give you your clothing. He was a pimp. Pervert. How can you use Ji for him? How can you compare him to Guru Ji? He also used to steal people's yogurt and eat it. You think he was an prophet preaching God.

wjkk

wjkf

many people say that guru ji hunted for salvating animals this is totaly false

in my suraj prakash written by santokh singh ji it is written that guruji hunted not once or twice.guru gobind singh ji hunted daily.and he always hunted with the sikhs.

now please tell me that if guru ji was salvating animals then what about the animals killed by the sikhs .secondly in sikhism there is a concept of

"appae gur chela" does that mean what was right for guru ji is wrong for the sikhs

guru ji himself took amrit from panj pyare. does that mean that rehat maryada rules were diffrent for guru ji.

thirdly our guru have so much power that they can salvate any animal or human being by just pointing a finger at it.there was no need to hunt it.

also it is written everybody has to do simran for salvation.in guru granth sahib

bhul chuk maaf

jo rath peeveh maansa thin koi nirmal cheeth

how can th human who drinks blood, have a pur mind?

how has takal misinrpeted this shabad?

this is not only in sikhi dharm but many other dharms

and this has a sakhee behind it

i dunt remeber 100 percent

BUT

there was guru nanak dev je and bhai mardana je

and there was this qazi doing halaal

and the chicken started running around and blood got all over his clothes

and then the qazi had t change it or something cause hes like they impure now

so guru nanak dev je said if ure clothes are impure because ther is blood on them, then how cn ure mind be pure if u drink the blood of that animal, meaning eatting meat

and show daas the place where taksal has misinterpeted any shabad

taksal is known in the panth for one great thing

shudh banee and the best santhia

bhula chuka maf

114373[/snapback]

He's right... that is the sakhi behind the shabad...

A lot of Shabads in SGGS JI, have sakhis behind them, of our Guru's own experiences and the lessons they gave there Sikhs from those experiences...

the basic meaning of that shabad ... 'u got blood on ur shirt and u say its dirty,, but when u put that same blood inside u (eat it), ur insides not dirty? '

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa vaheguroo jee kee fateh

i found another intresting shabad

kbIr KUbu Kwnw KIcrI jw mih AMimRqu lonu ]

kabeer khoob khaanaa kheecharee jaa mehi a(n)mrith lon ||

Kabeer, the dinner of beans and rice is excellent, if it is flavored with salt.

hyrw rotI kwrny glw ktwvY kaunu ]188]

haeraa rottee kaaranae galaa kattaavai koun ||188||

Who would cut his throat, to have meat with his bread? ||188||

rsingh, if i did use taksal as one of my main arguemts, then thas a huge mistake on my part, and please show me and i apoligise if it did

and btw, i was posting articles from panthkhalsa

no neccesarily i agree with everythin

but it had some good points

which real taksali, which i dunt y doesnt use his real name, condisering its obvious who he is, shud answer every banee thuk given from akj org and the other articles

y do u keep on attakiing taksal with lies, y dont u just answer the banee thuks?

and r sisingh je, ya ure names randeep, my name simranjot singh

happy?

and we also got another singh on this jfreind, who i dunt kno y doesnt use his real id

and please dont give me crap about needing meat to be strong

i kno many strong singhs, prob stronger than a lot of meat eaters

these singhs workout and everything

so thas a pure lie u need meat

btw, i REALLY wanna leave this thread, but everytime i wanna u talk more crap

and if u wanna see me readin gurbanee, come down to gurughar and well do bhagthee together

u can help get my avastha up since ure a such a sant

u kno how to contact me

anytime singh sahib

btw, the bad thing about meat is mostly eating it

consuming it

its hard for the mind to remian sucha, pure

and ue vices r stirred up

and bhaagt kabeer je clearly says whoever eats meat will go to hell

and we have daal and rotee, y do we need to eat meat?

there are many thuks given

no one on this thread has been able to prove an of them to not be agasint meat

now if u wanna, then go ahead

but y do u first discuss jo rath peevhi maansa, then change it and go to meat, then start attcking taksal

i dunt see where u gettin these connections from

ive said on this thread before, halaal is kureight

but even chatka shud be avoided because to keep ure mind pure, u shddunt consume meat, even banee says this

just read this thread

many banee thuks have been given

if u still wish to eat meat ok

thas ure choice

but my final answer is, look at banee thuks, look at hukamnamai, u stil dont belive then wat can anyoone do

us till gonna make escuses then wat u gonna do

if u will never belive, do sehaj paats and take hukamnama

and guru je will tell u wat he wants u to do

bhula chuka maf

gupt dassan dass,

You are avoiding what real taksali has posted about krishana. You posted it and yet you have not answered his question. gool mool gal na kaar. Give a strraight asnswer. Another thing is do u know how to read Gurmuki. If you do i wil l give you the answers to all those thooks that have been presented by akj etc. Beofre you post please answer everyone of my questions. Before you even prresent me with yours. Anyways i will be pleased to answer em. again do you know how to read gurmukhi.

Guest _The Khalsa Fauj_

Mahaparsaade Zindabaad!

sloku mÚ 1 ] (144-10)

salok mehlaa 1.

Shalok, First Mehl:

sIhw bwjw crgw kuhIAw eynw Kvwly Gwh ] (144-10, mwJ, mÚ 1)

seehaa baajaa chargaa kuhee-aa aynaa khavaalay ghaah.

Tigers, hawks, falcons and eagles-the Lord could make them eat grass.

Gwhu Kwin iqnw mwsu Kvwly eyih clwey rwh ] (144-10, mwJ, mÚ 1)

ghaahu khaan tinaa maas khavaalay ayhi chalaa-ay raah.

And those animals which eat grass-He could make them eat meat. He could make them follow this way of life.

ndIAw ivic itby dyKwly QlI kry Asgwh ] (144-11, mwJ, mÚ 1)

nadee-aa vich tibay daykhaalay thalee karay asgaah.

He could raise dry land from the rivers, and turn the deserts into bottomless oceans.

kIVw Qwip dyie pwiqswhI lskr kry suAwh ] (144-11, mwJ, mÚ 1)

keerhaa thaap day-ay paatisaahee laskar karay su-aah.

He could appoint a worm as king, and reduce an army to ashes.

jyqy jIA jIvih lY swhw jIvwly qw ik Aswh ] (144-12, mwJ, mÚ 1)

jaytay jee-a jeeveh lai saahaa jeevaalay taa ke asaah.

All beings and creatures live by breathing, but He could keep us alive, even without the breath.

nwnk ijau ijau scy BwvY iqau iqau dyie igrwh ]1] (144-12, mwJ, mÚ 1)

naanak ji-o ji-o sachay bhaavai ti-o ti-o day-ay giraah. ||1||

O Nanak, as it pleases the True Lord, He gives us sustenance. ||1||

slok mÚ 1 ] (1289-11)

salok mehlaa 1.

Shalok, First Mehl:

pihlW mwshu inMimAw mwsY AMdir vwsu ] (1289-11, mlwr, mÚ 1)

pahilaaN maasahu nimmi-aa maasai andar vaas.

First, the mortal is conceived in the flesh, and then he dwells in the flesh.

jIau pwie mwsu muih imilAw hfu cMmu qnu mwsu ] (1289-12, mlwr, mÚ 1)

jee-o paa-ay maas muhi mili-aa had chamm tan maas.

When he comes alive, his mouth takes flesh; his bones, skin and body are flesh.

mwshu bwhir kiFAw mMmw mwsu igrwsu ] (1289-12, mlwr, mÚ 1)

maasahu baahar kadhi-aa mammaa maas giraas.

He comes out of the womb of flesh, and takes a mouthful of flesh at the breast.

muhu mwsY kw jIB mwsY kI mwsY AMdir swsu ] (1289-13, mlwr, mÚ 1)

muhu maasai kaa jeebh maasai kee maasai andar saas.

His mouth is flesh, his tongue is flesh; his breath is in the flesh.

vfw hoAw vIAwihAw Gir lY AwieAw mwsu ] (1289-13, mlwr, mÚ 1)

vadaa ho-aa vee-aahi-aa ghar lai aa-i-aa maas.

He grows up and is married, and brings his wife of flesh into his home.

mwshu hI mwsu aUpjY mwshu sBo swku ] (1289-14, mlwr, mÚ 1)

maasahu hee maas oopjai maasahu sabho saak.

Flesh is produced from flesh; all relatives are made of flesh.

siqguir imilAY hukmu buJIAY qW ko AwvY rwis ] (1289-14, mlwr, mÚ 1)

satgur mili-ai hukam bujhee-ai taaN ko aavai raas.

When the mortal meets the True Guru, and realizes the Hukam of the Lord's Command, then he comes to be reformed.

Awip Cuty nh CUtIAY nwnk bcin ibxwsu ]1] (1289-15, mlwr, mÚ 1)

aap chhutay nah chhootee-ai naanak bachan binaas. ||1||

Releasing himself, the mortal does not find release; O Nanak, through empty words, one is ruined. ||1||

mÚ 1 ] (1289-15)

mehlaa 1.

First Mehl:

mwsu mwsu kir mUrKu JgVy igAwnu iDAwnu nhI jwxY ] (1289-15, mlwr, mÚ 1)

maas maas kar moorakh jhagrhay gi-aan Dhi-aan nahee jaanai.

The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom.

kauxu mwsu kauxu swgu khwvY iksu mih pwp smwxy ] (1289-16, mlwr, mÚ 1)

ka-un maas ka-un saag kahaavai kis meh paap samaanay.

What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?

gYNfw mwir hom jg kIey dyviqAw kI bwxy ] (1289-17, mlwr, mÚ 1)

gaiNdaa maar hom jag kee-ay dayviti-aa kee baanay.

It was the habit of the gods to kill the rhinoceros, and make a feast of the burnt offering.

mwsu Coif bYis nku pkVih rwqI mwxs Kwxy ] (1289-17, mlwr, mÚ 1)

maas chhod bais nak pakrheh raatee maanas khaanay.

Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night.

PVu kir lokW no idKlwvih igAwnu iDAwnu nhI sUJY ] (1289-17, mlwr, mÚ 1)

farh kar lokaaN no dikhlaavahi gi-aan Dhi-aan nahee soojhai.

They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom.

nwnk AMDy isau ikAw khIAY khY n kihAw bUJY ] (1289-18, mlwr, mÚ 1)

naanak anDhay si-o ki-aa kahee-ai kahai na kahi-aa boojhai.

O Nanak, what can be said to the blind people? They cannot answer, or even understand what is said.

AMDw soie ij AMDu kmwvY iqsu irdY is locn nwhI ] (1289-19, mlwr, mÚ 1)

anDhaa so-ay je anDh kamaavai tis ridai se lochan naahee.

They alone are blind, who act blindly. They have no eyes in their hearts.

mwq ipqw kI rkqu inpMny mCI mwsu n KWhI ] (1289-19, mlwr, mÚ 1)

maat pitaa kee rakat nipannay machhee maas na khaaNhee.

They are produced from the blood of their mothers and fathers, but they do not eat fish or meat.

pMnw 1290

iesqRI purKY jW inis mylw EQY mMDu kmwhI ] (1290-1, mlwr, mÚ 1)

istaree purkhai jaaN nis maylaa othai manDh kamaahee.

But when men and women meet in the night, they come together in the flesh.

mwshu inMmy mwshu jMmy hm mwsY ky BWfy ] (1290-1, mlwr, mÚ 1)

maasahu nimmay maasahu jammay ham maasai kay bhaaNday.

In the flesh we are conceived, and in the flesh we are born; we are vessels of flesh.

igAwnu iDAwnu kCu sUJY nwhI cquru khwvY pWfy ] (1290-2, mlwr, mÚ 1)

gi-aan Dhi-aan kachh soojhai naahee chatur kahaavai paaNday.

You know nothing of spiritual wisdom and meditation, even though you call yourself clever, O religious scholar.

bwhr kw mwsu mMdw suAwmI Gr kw mwsu cMgyrw ] (1290-2, mlwr, mÚ 1)

baahar kaa maas mandaa su-aamee ghar kaa maas changayraa.

O master, you believe that flesh on the outside is bad, but the flesh of those in your own home is good.

jIA jMq siB mwshu hoey jIie lieAw vwsyrw ] (1290-3, mlwr, mÚ 1)

jee-a jant sabh maasahu ho-ay jee-ay la-i-aa vaasayraa.

All beings and creatures are flesh; the soul has taken up its home in the flesh.

ABKu BKih BKu qij Cofih AMDu gurU ijn kyrw ] (1290-3, mlwr, mÚ 1)

abhakh bhakheh bhakh taj chhodeh anDh guroo jin kayraa.

They eat the uneatable; they reject and abandon what they could eat. They have a teacher who is blind.

mwshu inMmy mwshu jMmy hm mwsY ky BWfy ] (1290-4, mlwr, mÚ 1)

maasahu nimmay maasahu jammay ham maasai kay bhaaNday.

In the flesh we are conceived, and in the flesh we are born; we are vessels of flesh.

igAwnu iDAwnu kCu sUJY nwhI cquru khwvY pWfy ] (1290-4, mlwr, mÚ 1)

gi-aan Dhi-aan kachh soojhai naahee chatur kahaavai paaNday.

You know nothing of spiritual wisdom and meditation, even though you call yourself clever, O religious scholar.

mwsu purwxI mwsu kqybˆØI chu juig mwsu kmwxw ] (1290-4, mlwr, mÚ 1)

maas puraanee maas kaytaabeeN chahu jug maas kamaanaa.

Meat is allowed in the Puraanas, meat is allowed in the Bible and the Koran. Throughout the four ages, meat has been used.

jij kwij vIAwih suhwvY EQY mwsu smwxw ] (1290-5, mlwr, mÚ 1)

jaj kaaj vee-aahi suhaavai othai maas samaanaa.

It is featured in sacred feasts and marriage festivities; meat is used in them.

iesqRI purK inpjih mwshu pwiqswh sulqwnW ] (1290-5, mlwr, mÚ 1)

istaree purakh nipjahi maasahu paatisaah sultaanaaN.

Women, men, kings and emperors originate from meat.

jy Eie idsih nrik jWdy qW aun@ kw dwnu n lYxw ] (1290-6, mlwr, mÚ 1)

jay o-ay diseh narak jaaNday taaN unH kaa daan na lainaa.

If you see them going to hell, then do not accept charitable gifts from them.

dyNdw nrik surig lYdy dyKhu eyhu iD|wxw ] (1290-7, mlwr, mÚ 1)

dayNdaa narak surag laiday daykhhu ayhu Dhinyaanaa.

The giver goes to hell, while the receiver goes to heaven - look at this injustice.

Awip n bUJY lok buJwey pWfy Krw isAwxw ] (1290-7, mlwr, mÚ 1)

aap na boojhai lok bujhaa-ay paaNday kharaa si-aanaa.

You do not understand your own self, but you preach to other people. O Pandit, you are very wise indeed.

pWfy qU jwxY hI nwhI ikQhu mwsu aupMnw ] (1290-7, mlwr, mÚ 1)

paaNday too jaanai hee naahee kithhu maas upannaa.

O Pandit, you do not know where meat originated.

qoieAhu AMnu kmwdu kpwhW qoieAhu iqRBvxu gMnw ] (1290-8, mlwr, mÚ 1)

to-i-ahu ann kamaad kapaahaaN to-i-ahu taribhavan gannaa.

Corn, sugar cane and cotton are produced from water. The three worlds came from water.

qoAw AwKY hau bhu ibiD hCw qoAY bhuqu ibkwrw ] (1290-8, mlwr, mÚ 1)

to-aa aakhai ha-o baho biDh hachhaa toai bahut bikaaraa.

Water says, "I am good in many ways." But water takes many forms.

eyqy rs Coif hovY sMinAwsI nwnku khY ivcwrw ]2] (1290-9, mlwr, mÚ 1)

aytay ras chhod hovai sani-aasee naanak kahai vichaaraa. ||2||

Forsaking these delicacies, one becomes a true Sannyaasee, a detached hermit. Nanak reflects and speaks. ||2||

qÍpRswid] kibqu

Tav Parsaade. Kabit

KUk mlhwrI gj gdhw ibBUq DwrI igdUAw mswn bws kirEeI krq hY]

Khook Mulhaaree Gaj Gddhaa Bhibhoot Dhaaree Gudooaa Msaan Baas Kreooee Kurt Hai.

Those who only eat manure cannot be given a higher status than a pig. Those who cover their body with ashes can be called donkeys or elephants. Those who live near graves and funeral homes and try to find God can be compared to jackals as jackals stay close to these places.

GuGU mtbwsI lgy folq audwsI imRg qrvr sdIv mon swDy eI mrq hY]

Ghughoo Mutbaasee Lgay Dolat Udaasee Mirg Turvur Sadeev Moan Saadhay Eee Murt Hai.

Those who live in caves can be called owls, as owls like to live in holes and caves. Those who leave home in search of God and wander around in jungles can be compared to deer and other coward animals as they run through jungles and achieve nothing. Those who remain silent in search of God can be compared to trees and plants as trees and plants don’t talk. Plants and trees die while remaining silent.

ibMd ky sDXw qwih hIj kI bfXw dyq bMdrw sdIv pwie nwgy eI iPrq hY]

Bind Kay Sadhyaa Taahe Heej Kee Badyaa Dait Bundraa Sadeev Paaye Naagay Eee Firt Hai.

Those who don’t marry or live as celibates to find God can be compared to eunuchs. Eunuchs are created by God to remain celibates automatically for their whole life. Those who don’t wear anything in their feet and try to find God can be compared to animals such as monkeys as these animals don’t wear anything in their feet.

AMgnw ADIn kwm kRoD mY pRbIn eyk igAwn ky ibhIn CIn kYsy kY qrq hY] 1] 71]

Ungnaa Adheen Kaam Kroadh Mai Parbeen Aik Gyan Kay Beheen Sheen Kaesay Kae Turt Hae. 1. 71.

Under the influence of senses and body parts, people applying these methods to find God are still filled with lust, anger, greed, ego and cleverness and have no knowledge on how to find God. How can these people get across this world ocean while being entangled in useless actions and beliefs?

BUq bncwrI iCq Caunw sBY duDwDwrI paun ky AhwrI su BujMg jwnIAqu hY]

Bhoot Bunchaaree Shet Shaouna Sbhai DhudhaDharee Paoun Kay Aahaaree Su Bhujung Jaanee-aatu Hai.

Those who run through jungles in search of God know them as ghosts. Those who only live on milk can be compared to babies as babies only drink milk. Those who claim to only live on air can be compared to snakes as some species of snakes use air as a food source.

iqRx ky BCXw Dn loB ky qjXw qy qo gaUAn ky jXw ibRKBXw mwnIAqu hY]

Trinh Kay Bh-shyaa Dhun Loab Kay Tujyaa Tay Tou Kay Jyaa BrikhBhyaa Maanee-atu Hai.

Some people only eat vegetables and other types of plants and don’t care about money and greed. These people cannot be given a higher status than bovine calfs or children of cows and oxen as these qualities are found in them.

nB ky aufXw qwih pMCI kI bfXw dyq bgulw ibVwl ibRk iDAwnI TwnIAqu hY]

Nabh Kay Udyaa Taahe Pun-shee Kee Badyaa Dait Bgulaa Berrhaal Brick Dhyanee Taanee-atu Hai.

There is nothing religious in flying with special powers as this is an act of birds so these people cannot be given a higher status than birds. Sitting with eyes closed and meditating or focusing on something can be compared to cranes or herons, male cats and wolfs as these animals focus and pounce on the prey. Cranes remain still and act in hypocrisy as if they are meditating but pounce on the first fish or insect they see. Guru Ji is telling us that remaining still and closing eyes is nothing more than hypocrisy.

jyqo bfy igAwnI iqno jwnI pY bKwnI nwih AYsy n pRcMf min BUil AwnIAqu hY] 2] 72]

Jaito Bday Gyanee Teino Jaanee Pai Bkhaanee Naahe Aaesay Na Purchund Mun-e Bhoole Aanee-atu Hai. 2. 72.

There have been many scholars and religious people who have known the reality behind these phoney actions but never spoke against it. Never believe in these false and useless practices.

These verses from Gurbani clearly state that there is not much difference between meat and vegetables. The same substances are present in both. The difference is only a couple of cells. This has also been proven scientifically also if you don’t believe the Guru. Also if you don’t believe the Guru, how can you call yourself a Sikh?

Milk is not a plant product.

Milk Vs. Flesh

People who oppose eating meat must have never thought where milk came from because milk is an animal product. These people oppose meat but do not oppose milk. Plant food is converted into blood by the cow and then the milk is synthesized in the cow’s udder. While going through special biochemical reactions on the way to the cow’s udder through special veins, blood is converted into milk. So milk is another form of blood. Plant food is also converted into flesh by the cow, which leads to growth.

Milk Vs. Eggs

Unfertilized egg of a bird is very similar to milk from a cow. The synthesis is almost the same. There is a very small difference. That difference is that the calcium in milk is mixed in the milk but the calcium in the egg is walled around to form the shell of the egg. Drinking milk but not eating eggs or meat is practicing hypocrisy.

If that is not enough, people who oppose meat should know that meat is present in almost everything. Snake poison from various species of snakes is widely used in medicines. Also used is poison from some other reptiles, and seas creatures. Purses are made from animal skins. A substance from animals’ bones is used in toothpaste and ice cream. Without this substance, toothpaste would not have the form of gel but would be in crystals. It is the same case for ice cream. Ice cream would not be in the cream form but would be small crystals. Substance from animal bones is also used in final sugar creating process. There are many other things where meat products are used. Ask vegetarians: Have you ever eaten ice cream, brushed your teeth, or eaten sugar? If they say ‘yes’ then they are practicing hypocrisy by not eating meat.

Meat causes allergies; therefore it should not be eaten. Gurbani says not to intake foods that are unhealthy. Then isn’t eating meat wrong according to Gurbani?

The top ten sources of allergies, according to Allergy Information Association, are: 1. Milk 2. Wheat 3. Eggs 4. Fish 5. Shellfish 6. Walnuts and other nuts from trees 7. Peanuts and other legumes 8. Corn 9. Food additives such as sulphite, monosodium, glutamate and tartrazine 10. Alcohol

Chance of being allergic to meat is less by a great percentage so saying that eating meat is wrong is just practicing hypocrisy. If a product causes bodily harm or causes evil thoughts, then it is banned, else it is not.

Then what is wrong in eating hahal meat?

However, halal meat is wrong to eat as the animal is killed slowly, which is cruel. Also, Muslim religious hymns are read while preparing the meat. Therefore, it is also a sign of slavery.

A human should never eat foods that bring evil thoughts or cause bodily harm. Therefore, if a food causes you allergy, don’t eat it. It is forbidden. Drugs make you have evil thoughts and ruin your body, which is why they are forbidden. Drugs also take the person away from reality. Taking drugs is a huge ban in Sikhism for that reason. It is one of the four sins, which automatically cancel you Amrit (nectar). A person is not a complete Sikh without Amrit.

The four sins are:

1. Cutting Hair

2. Committing adultery

3. Drugs

4. Halal meat

There are other big sins such as looting, robbing, stealing, lying, killing innocent people, worshipping statues, following Brahmanism, slandering, believing in superstitions, and any type of harassment but these are the four main ones.

Then when did this meat issue come into Sikhism?

The fact is that meat was eaten during the times of the first ten Gurus as history shows. Meat was eaten without question until the Sikhs went into jungles. When Sikhs went into jungles, Udasi mahants (saints) started controlling the Gurudwaras while Sikhs were in jungles. They opposed eating meat and many were under the affect of Brahmanism. The mission of Brahmanism is to kill other religions by any way possible so they tried to cause division to make Sikhs fight each other on these senseless issues. They have succeeded to cause the division but they will never be able to accomplish the main goal of killing Sikhism. Once the awakening comes into the Sikhs, they will once again unite and start following the real doctrines of the Guru. Also some self-proclaimed Sikh saints ban meat.