Should Manmohan Singh resign ?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should Manmohan Singh resign ?

• Yes, protecting the murderers of Sikhs is the final straw
    • No, it's good PR to have someone in a turban as PM
    • No sure, give him more time maybe he might not be spineless

BREAKING NEWS:

MANMOHAN SINGH ON NANAVATI REPORT IN PARLIAMENT:

Govt will take all possible steps to reopen cases against those persons NAMED in the Nanavati report.

Govt also to consult law ministry to bring 84 guilty to book.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Home Minister Rao who became PM and the Army Chief are not senior?

Army involved in Sikh massacre

http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=12357

Posted on 09 Aug 2005 # IANS

Rao, Alexander lied to make me scapegoat: 1984 LG Gavai

By Deepshikha Ghosh, New Delhi: Former Delhi lieutenant governor P.G. Gavai says big shots like former prime minister P.V. Narasimha Rao and former principal secretary P.C. Alexander "lied blatantly" while making him a "scapegoat" for delayed action in the anti-Sikh riots of 1984.

Gavai, who has been blamed by the Nanavati Commission of Inquiry for not taking enough action in stemming the riots, said he was considering legal action to clear his name.

"I have been very restrained, but people are bent on doing harm to me, making me a fall guy...the only thing left in India today appears to be the legal recourse," Gavai told IANS from his home in Nagpur. "If it comes to that, yes...I will."

The G.T. Nanavati Commission tabled in parliament Monday has accused Gavai of not paying attention to the law and order situation in Delhi while the city burned and Sikhs were being murdered on the streets.

Gavai, 78, said Nanavati, a retired Supreme Court judge, had no idea of how things worked in an administration and had not done a thorough job.

He said he felt helpless when mobs were on the streets of Delhi and his pleas for calling in the army were not drawing the desired response.

"The lieutenant governor is the administrator of a union territory, but he is answerable to the ministry of home affairs. It is the home ministry that controls the paramilitary forces, and I was told Delhi had no forces.

"It was not within my powers to summon the army on my own."

Gavai said major general J.S. Jamwal, then general officer commanding, Delhi area, of the army told him he could spare forces "only for Connaught Place".

"I said why should I want forces in Connaught Place, when the riots are taking place in trans-Jamuna (east Delhi)?"

The former LG also said the army officer refused to speak to the police commissioner, increasing the delay.

"The home ministry was not willing to give me any succour, and Delhi Police also did not have enough forces..."

While dismissing Rajiv Gandhi as "misguided", Gavai accused two people of "lying blatantly" - Narasimha Rao and Rajya Sabha MP Alexander, then principal secretary to the prime minister's office.

Rao - who was then home minister - said Gavai was attending Rajiv Gandhi's swearing-in ceremony on Oct 31 night when riots were raging in the streets on New Delhi.

"I wasn't there! It is a pack of lies!" Gavai asserted. "When it comes to the crunch, you need a scapegoat."

He accused Alexander of lying his way out of the blame when he was responsible for delaying action.

"I told Alexander - whom should I meet? At a meeting held Nov 1 at 11 a.m., I said the army should be called in without wasting a moment. Alexander, Rao and army chief A.S. Vaidya were in the meeting.

"Everyone agreed, then Alexander said another meeting should be held at 5 p.m. in the presence of the police commission and the army chief. (Alexander) delayed action from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Later he denied everything!"

Alexander, said Gavai, was one of the "most blatant liars" he had seen. "He disowned everything, in the presence of everybody!"

Gavai said he told Rajiv Gandhi, when he met him Nov 2, to drive away all the Congress leaders hovering around.

"He did. But when he told me there was a delay in calling the army, I kept quiet and said I did not want to comment. I just said 'your mother was a great woman'."

When Rajiv Gandhi asked him to "go on leave", Gavai said he told Alexander: "A lieutenant governor does not go on leave. He has to put in his papers."

Two previous commissions held Gavai partly responsible for the delayed action in checking the riots sparked by the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her own Sikh bodyguards on Oct 31, 1984.

More than 2,700 people were killed in Delhi and elsewhere in the riots that continued for three days, allegedly instigated by Congress leaders and workers.

He said Nanavati was the wrong choice for such a probe.

"You appoint Nanavati to probe the (2002) Gujarat riots, you appoint the same man for 1984 riots - is there no other judge in the country? Has he, in fact, pointed to any lapses on my part?"

Gavai, who claims to have received compliments from Indira Gandhi for setting up the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust in record time, said he is tired of being blamed again and again, when big shots have got away scot-free.

"I am a helpless man. I am 78. By training I have been a lawyer...I have been in social work. I have no desire to do anything now. The atmosphere in India is hardly conducive to a principled stand. It reeks with corruption and bad governance..."

PM Manmohan Singh has only been in the job for one year, tiime is required to build a power base from within India and outside. Give him time and I have no doubt he will deliver justice. You have to remember he has powerful enemies to contend with. What the Sikh nation needs to do his stand by him at his hour of need to bring the guilty to justice.

how i see it is that he is no doubt an asset to india in economical terms, however most you peeps are right in saying that he hasn't done much for the sikhs. but the fact is that we shouldnt expect him to. its highly unlikely that he will in the future. there are alot of (extreme hindu) communal and corrupt elements in congress and the promoting of tytler to cabinet minister at the start of his premiership just shows us that he isn't willing to go against his party.

just because someone wears a turban doesn't mean they are automatically pro-sikh. longowal, beant sion, master tara singh and KPS Gill, appeared as sikhs. and let history bear testiment to what they did.

i dont think we should rely solely on politicians to achieve justice, if all other means fail then we should get justice ourselves. the sikh panth doesnt need to rely on a morally weak pm.

• 1 month later...

pm manmohan singh has been thebest thing for sikhs in a long time

the man has made a great image of sikhs as honest people....even in India there are no corruption allegations or dirt on him.....the man is a simple human being who has been respected for many years in the international community for his hard work in the world bank, un, and for bringing India out from the verge of bankruptcy.....all of which has helped sikhs more then the bloodshed and violence that bhindranwale and his goons put Punjab through