Delhi Cm Announces Rs 1.25 Lakh Compensation

Raju

with no interest of so called 20 years ? just 1.25 lakhs ? One barely can survive on this amount (talking about current trend of education donation setup system). If victim's family were alive, they could have earn more than that in 20+ years.. Doesn't make sense wacko.gif

and its shame that how apnay sikhs who are considered to be the richest community can't even support these ppls.. oh well..

indian gov't makes a lot of announcements..in 1947 gandhi made an announcement that if the sikhs ever felt threatened by the Congress they knew how to raise their swords..we all know what happened next...announcemnets in India are just that, announcements..

BTW if someone killed my family, whole family, then waited 20 years to give me money while promoting my families' killers to higher posts i wouldn't even spit on that money.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1489736,0008.htm

Rs 1.25 lakh compensation to 1984 riot victims

Press Trust of India

New Delhi, September 12, 2005

Delhi government on Monday announced compensation of Rs 1.25 lakh to the each of the person injured in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in the national capital.

The decision to this effect was taken after a meeting of Delhi Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.

"Close to 3000 people have been identified and they will be given Rs 1.25 lakh each as compensation," Dikshit said.

This decision comes following a recent Delhi High Court directive for the rehabilitation of the riot-affected people and 2996 people would benefited from this decision.

http://web.mid-day.com/news/nation/2005/september/118515.htm

Rs 1.25 lakh compensation for '84 victims

By: PTI

September 12, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Delhi: Twenty years after the anti-Sikh riots in the capital, Delhi Government today announced a compensation of Rs 1.25 lakh each to the persons injured in the violence.

A total of 2966 persons injured in the 1984 riots, who had earlier been given relief ranging from Rs 500-Rs 2000, will benefit from the decision. Delhi Cabinet in its meeting chaired by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today decided to give the compensation acting on a recent Delhi High Court directive on rehabilitation of the victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.

"Close to 3000 people have been identified and they will be given Rs 1.25 lakh each as compensation," Dikshit told reporters after the Cabinet meet.

"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had categorically stated on the floor of Parliament that the government will do its best to provide relief to the riot-affected people, and respecting that we decided not to challenge the High Court order and are announcing the compensation," the Chief Minister said.

She said the government would soon bring out a notification on the procedure for claiming the compensation. The compensation will cost the state exchequer Rs 36.55 crore. The High Court had given the directive for compensation to be paid to the riot victims acting on a petition filed by one Manjit Singh Sawhney.

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jeee kee fateh

Our leaders are great jee and they do not have time for these people. They will come with their fat tummies at the time of election only.

Apart from uplifting these Sikhs financially, our committees never bother to educate the coming genertions of those shaheeds about their parents / relatives / grandparents importance in the Panth, motivate them for Sikhi Sidak. But who care and who got time man.

Well Government should also give one job to one of the members of the vicitim family, relaxation in school & universities admission/ fees and give better / economical facilities in the Vicitims residence colonies.

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jeee kee fateh

This compensation is for those people who have been injured only.

What I do not follow is what their definition of 'injured' and who can sustain their injuries for 20 long years ?

The issue of compensation to victims (i.e. those who died etc) have not been breached yet. What I sincerely hope though is that this is just the beginning of the flow of compensation to the needy and more is in the pipeline and yet to follow. Delhi is just a puny state and it is the center that should be bearing the bill for the relief, 31.5 crores is more or less the upper limit of what Delhi can spare from its revenue sources and it is the center who should be footing the bill instead of cleverly passing it down to the states like Delhi.

there is a lot that needs to be done and w/e we do would not be enough. We can't really put a price on human life and I hope this is just the beginning. Delhi govt has done its bit and now the onus is on the central govt to follow up !