Wearing Turbans In Uk Armed Forces.

Sewadar

Good Day to you

I am an ex Royal Marine. On one of our ex service websites it has been pointed out that a young Sikh lad is going through training at the moment.

The question has been posed on our site about what he does when required to wear a steel helmet or a gas mask for example.

Can he remove his turban under such circumstances, or what can he do ?

Hope you can give me some information on the subject.

Thank you

Edward McGinnis

----

Please send the information to contact@sikhsangat.com and we will forward your message to the person with your contact information (ex. email address)

Wear A very small turban (pataka)

Tie the beard up when wearing the gas mask.

Sikhs have to cover their hair/tie their beards when preapring food, so, its acceptable for sikhs to wear neccasary protection in a battle field.

119815[/snapback]

I met a Sikh who was with the TA a few years back. He told me that the TA provided a turban for its soldiers and he was not required to remove it at any time.

Sikh soldiers in India wear their turban all the time without problems. If we have any Sikhs who have served in the forces, perhaps they could give their views on how to wear gas masks etc. I think many Sikhs have done military service in Malaysia so they may have some tips on what to do when wearing a gas mask.

The steel helmet cannot be worn over a turban and the turban cannot be replaced with a steel helmet.

Wear A very small turban (pataka)

Tie the beard up when wearing the gas mask.

Sikhs have to cover their hair/tie their beards when preapring food, so, its acceptable for sikhs to wear neccasary protection in a battle field.

119815[/snapback]

Paji

Patkha is a piece of cloth which is bigger then a ramal.

A small turban is a keski.

Say if a turban was made from kevlar whicb is bullet proofe material, is dat okay?

Patkha is a piece of cloth which is bigger then a ramal.

A small turban is a keski.

Thanks for correcting me

Asoi just rmebered ive got a portrait of banda singh bahadur with a steel helmet on top, and ive seen steel helmets type things with spaces for kesh in a picture back from maharaja ranjit singh time, why did they cover their heads with steel helmets if it wasnt alowd? some explain cuz its bin buggin me for sum time now.

WJKK

WJKF

Many Sikhs are facing this problem expecially in the US for helmets for motorcyles and gasmasks in military. We are the minority so helmet and gasmask producers are not going to go out of their way to design something for us. A helmet is pretty much composed of 2 parts padding and a hard out layer, we have the padding down. Sikhs are always suppose to keep a dastaar on, it has become their crown and their Identity, so we cant cover it with a helmet. What i was thinking was to make a hard, see-though, cover that goes over the dastaar, so that the cover and the turban come together to make a helmet. And Sikhs can wear it becasue it will be see though and similar to the shape of their turban. Once we make this product the posibilities are endless, then we sould make the gas mask attach to the cover.

WJKK

WJKF

WJKK

WJKF

Many Sikhs are facing this problem expecially in the US for helmets for motorcyles and gasmasks in military. We are the minority so helmet and gasmask producers are not going to go out of their way to design something for us. A helmet is pretty much composed of 2 parts padding and a hard out layer, we have the padding down. Sikhs are always suppose to keep a dastaar on, it has become their crown and their Identity, so we cant cover it with a helmet. What i was thinking was to make a hard, see-though, cover that goes over the dastaar, so that the cover and the turban come together to make a helmet. And Sikhs can wear it becasue it will be see though and similar to the shape of their turban. Once we make this product the posibilities are endless, then we sould make the gas mask attach to the cover.

WJKK

WJKF

119870[/snapback]

Would be interesting to know if currently serving Sikhs use any head protection apart from dastaar. Could a kevlar based turban not be produced ? or would it be difficult to wear.

If Amandeep Madra is reading this perhaps he could post a few pictures of that turban helmet that was not put on display at the V&A a few years ago as a few hotheads got angry with it.