Kirpan Issue At Uni

Guest Lohgarh Singh

wjkk wjkf

well, by law bhenji, its not a offensive weapon try and find the quote from the law, that will wel come in handy.

this is one suggestion, if you where 1 of dem taksalis or one wid a blade like it, it wont luk very offensive etc. cz its jus a blunt peice of metal shaped as a kirpa in a sheath. no blud chanals, not sharpend and no sighn of being sharpend.

waheguru ji kekhalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

Pyare jio, I had same problem at my uni, but the Dean gave me no problems. I had many pages of information for him. I used the British Sikh Federation, who are lawyers paid for by all UK sikh Jathebandies, like AKJ, Federations , etc.

They have cases letters and MPs letters, etc. I think most of it is on their websites now. Just do a search.

When speaking to the Dean, do not get emotional, speak cleary and calmly. Plus be clear with what you say, and back it up with letters. So read up on the BSF website first.

If you have any problems just get back in touch with us.

waheguru ji kekhalsa waheguru ji ke fateh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh ji

Bhenji

The Siri Sahib is classed as legal in the UK, UNDER THE OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT 1996.

The only think unis/employees etc can use within the act, is that if the 'item' in question is seen as a possible health and saftey issue, then if it's private property then they can have objections.

In addtion the Race Relations Act says that banning someone due to the kirpan could be indirect discrimination

But as been mentioned earlier, go with evidence and articles etc, also it's best to go as a community rather than an individual as the uni will not want any adverse pubilicty of being seen to upset a community.

Speak to BOSS, they will be able to help

In adidtion I am facing similar issues at the moment. I wasn't let into a football ground recently due to my siri sahib, I am been going regurly for many yrs.

I have never been searched, but after July attacks, searches are more common at the staduim now, so they felt my siri Sahib, anyway, we are in ongoing discussions with them, things aren't looking good, but Guru di kirpa, we wiwill see what happens.

This is a issue we need to look at, as after July attacks, UK is more secuirty conscious, we need to be prepared to stick up for our rights and siri sahibs

Bhenji, I can give you further info (info we are using in our case) if you want

PM me

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Bhenji please email me if you need help and assistance.

I suggest you write a letter to the Dean highlighting the incident (mention, time, date and account of incident). Circulate the article to your local MP, MP John McDonnell (MP who represents Panjabis in Britain), a copy to The Sikh Times, also to B.O.S.S. On the top of the letter please write "CC: .... (add the names of the MP, Sikh Times etc...). The Dean and Principle should hopefully take the letter seriously then.

With Guru's Kirpa we successfully highlighted the issue of Kirpan at King's College London. The Dean is supportive.

I have some letters in PDF format which I used when reporting incidents where I was asked to remove my Kirpan (once at uni and once at Wembly Conference Centre). However the key information which you need to tell them (face to face) and also in the letter is the below information:

The Kirpan is an article of faith that was revealed to the tenth successor of Guru Nanak Ji (the founder of the Sikh religion), Guru Gobind Singh Ji, and made mandatory by him for all initiated Sikhs on March 29, 1699. Attempts to change the nature of the Kirpan or to restrict it from the Sikh uniform have always been resisted by Sikhs in the past, just as impositions against wearing of the Cross are likely to be resisted by baptised Christians.

A Sikh upon his or her initiation into the Sikh faith agrees to follow the Sikh Rehat Maryada, the Sikh code of conduct. The code of conduct calls to wear a "strapped Kirpan" that is suspended near one's waist. The original language of this document is in Punjabi. An English translation of the requirement in Article XXIV, (d) states:

". . . The person to be baptized must have taken a bath and washed his or her hair and must wear all five K's - Kes (unshorn hair), strapped Kirpan (sword), Kachhehra (prescribed shorts), Kanga (Comb tucked in the tied up hair), Karha (Steel bracelet) . . ."

5Ks2.jpg

The original Punjabi version of this requirement is explicit. It states that the Kirpan is to be worn using a ‘gatra’ (a strap that enables a Kirpan to be suspended near one's waist or tucked inside one's belt). The implication of this explicit requirement is that the Kirpan cannot be worn as a symbol. To neglect to wear one or more of the Five Ks represents a serious lapse in the Sikh religion.

The nature or the definition of Kirpan cannot be changed and Sikh organisations have successfully challenged all such attempts. The British Law recognises the importance of the Sikh Kirpan and allows Sikhs to wear the Kirpan. The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (section 139) and Criminal Justice 1996 (section 3 and 4) allows anyone to carry a blade exceeding the length of 3 inches for religious, cultural or work related reasons. The Criminal Justice Act and the 2003 Religious discrimination Act safeguards the Sikhs to wear the Kirpan.

Here's what I ended the letter I wrote to the Securty Firm (which works for the uni)... you can adapt and use this. Perhaps write a letter on behalf of your Sikh Society (which is better than writing a letter from an individual):

...The Sikh Society is concerned about the harassment about wearing the Kirpan by your security staff. Therefore would you take up the appropriate action of adjusting your security firm’s policy on the Sikh Kirpan and train your security staff about Sikh faith and the Kirpan so that in future no Sikh student or member of the public has to go through the same ordeal as I have gone through.

I request you to take up immediate action to irradiate this problem. The Sikh Society would also like to invite you to the weekly Sikh Society meetings, which happens every Tuesday, 5:15pm to 6pm at Room G4, New Hunt’s House, at Guy’s Campus, London. Also the Sikh Society would like to offer you full support in educating your security staff on the Kirpan, and complying with Human Rights and the British Law we ask that you update your security policy to recognise the Kirpan as a religious Article of Faith and not as an offensive weapon.

I hope this matter is taken seriously.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

The Sikh Kirpaan

By Manvir Singh Khalsa

'Are you carrying a weapon?'

'You are wearing a dagger!"

'Is it legal for you to carry that knife?'

No-one knows what the Kirpan is.

These are some questions posed by non-Sikhs to Sikhs who wear the Kirpaan.

'Kirpaan' derives from two words.

'Kirpaa' means 'mercy' and 'kindness.'

'Aan' means 'honour' and 'dignity'.

The Kirpan is a tool of mercy to upkeep dignity of others.

The Kirpan represents honour and justice.

The Kirpan is the manifestation of Vaheguru's virtues of protecting the weak, upholding righteousness and destroying tyranny/negativity.

nmsqXM nmsqXM nmsqXM BvwnI] sdw rwiK lY muih ikRpw kY ikRpwnI[37]256]

"I salute Thee again and again, O the manifestation of the sword! Protect me ever with Thy Grace.37.256." (Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, P. 295, Dasam Granth)

I keep telling everybody:

"This is not a knife, which you would use to cut food and objects.

This is not an offensive weapon used to murder innocent people.

This is not a dagger or sword, for this can only be worn by he or she who will use it to defend, protect and upkeep truth and justice.

The Kirpan is a religious article of faith part of the Sikh uniform."

"Why are Sikhs required to wear the Kirpan as their uniform" people ask?

"How can a peace-loving person wear a Kirpan?" others say.

Sikhs are saints who see the all-pervading Vaheguru in all the Creation and in every human being.

Sikhs are warriors, who are army of Vaheguru, willing to die to defend the weak.

Sikhs are healers, who live a message of peace, love and understanding.

svYXw ] dyh isvw br moih iehY suB krmn qy kbhUM n troN ] n froN Air so jb jwie lroN inscY kr AwpnI jIq kroN ] Aru isK ho Awpny hI mn kO ieh lwlc hau gun qau aucroN ] jb Awv kI AuaD inDwn bnY Aq hI rn mY qb jUJ mroN ]231]

"O Lord God, grant me this boon that I may not hesitate from performing good actions. That I may fight without fear of foes, And with firm resolve claim victory. May the directive of thy glory guide my mind, and my highest ambition be to sing thy praises. When the end of my life comes, then I may die fighting in the battlefield.231." (Guru Gobind Singh Ji, P. 240 Dasam Granth)

eyk idRsit sB sm kir jwxY ndrI AwvY sBu bRhmu psreIAw ]7]

"With a single, impartial eye, look upon all alike, and see God pervading all. ||7||" (Ang 833, SGGS)

eyk joiq eyko min visAw sB bRhm idRsit ieku kIjY ]

"The One, the Light of the One, abides within my mind; God, the One, is seen in all." (Ang 1325, SGGS)

srb inrMqir so pRBu jwqw bhuiV n jonI Brim runw ]9]

"One who realizes God pervading deep within all, does not wander crying in reincarnation again. ||9||" (Ang 1097, SGGS)

Sikhs are the defenders of India who saved the honour of Indian girls enslaved by the Mughal invaders.

Sikhs are the protectors of righteousness who died and fought in foreign lands in the two world wars.

Sikhs are the guardians of truth and honour who live a character of high morals, and are a living image of the Nanak Guru Gobind Singh.

^wlsw Akwl purK kI &Oj ] pRgitE ^wlsw pRmwqm kI mOj ]

"Khalsa is the army of the Immortal Lord. Khalsa has appeared at the pleasure of the Supreme Being." (Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Sarbloh Granth)

Racists say "If you are allowed to wear a sword because it is your religion, then I could carry a gun and say that it is part of my religion."

Ignorant people say "The Kirpaan is not applicable to modern society. Sikhs should move with the times."

Misguided Sikhs say, "How will a Kirpan protect you, the 5th K, article of faith, should be modified to be a pistol or gun."

"I think you are mistaken", I say.

"Sikhs are the army of Akaal Purakh, who have been given a divine mission. The Sikhs have lived this message and they have earned the respect of all those who have seen their way of life and principles.

Sikhi is a religion of the Modern World. In a world of intolerance, injustice, and war, the Kirpaan represents that which is most needed in Modern society – truth & justice.

My Kirpan is not an offensive weapon but a protective weapon, which is not used to attack people, but to defend. Using a gun one could shoot innocent people and passer-bys; however a Kirpan is for close-range combat at an intentional target."

sUrw so pihcwnIAY ju lrY dIn ky hyq ] purjw purjw kit mrY kbhU n CwfY Kyqu ]2]2]

"He alone is known as a spiritual hero, who fights in defence of religion. He may be cut apart, piece by piece, but he never leaves the field of battle. ||2||2||" (Ang 1105, SGGS)

I explain,

"My Kirpaan is a symbol of grace, dignity and honour."

"My Kirpaan is part of my Saint-Warrior uniform bestowed upon me by my Father."

"My Kirpan is a manifestation of the Vaheguru, which reminds us all of our responsibility to humanity."

BY kwhU kau dyq nih nih BY mwnq Awn ] khu nwnk suin ry mnw igAwnI qwih bKwin ]16]

"One who does not frighten anyone, and who is not afraid of anyone else – says Nanak, listen, mind: call him spiritually wise. ||16||" (Ang 1427, SGGS

"I see! That is amazing" says one person.

"Fair enough, I am sorry" says the cunning person.

"We have a beautiful religion, a great gift given to us and we are so lucky to be blessed with such a gift and honour" says the Sikh who was led astray.

Don't hide your faith and identity, share it with the world.

Don't be ashamed of the gifts the Guru has bestowed upon you; walk with your head held high.

Remember brothers and sisters your image is the manifestation of Guru Gobind Singh Singh Ji & Mata Sahib Kaur, you are the Khalsa who serves the world, helps humanity and defends truth.

SsqRhIn ieh kbhUM n hoeI ] rihqvMq Kwls hY soeI ]

"He who never abandons his weapon (Kirpaan). Recognise them as the disciplined and pure Khalsa." (Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh)

Kwlsw myro rUp hY Kws] Kwlsy mih hO krO invws]

"The Khalsa is my distinct image. Within the Khalsa I reside."

(Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Sarbloh Granth)

Be inspired and inspire others.

manvir.khalsa@gmail.com

:)

thanks so much all sangat jio.

will follow up on the advice and take necesary steps to educate the uni staff.

If any assistance is needed il let sangat know, today nothing occured and im kind of ready for when it does with guru ji's kirpa.

vjkkhalsavjkfateh!

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefatheh!!!

bhainjee,

above, everybody has given great replies

in addition - if you go to www.UNITEDSIKHS.org and go to their "contact" section you will find contact information for the UK

there are many sevadars in UK who can help you to give proper explanation of your kirpan to any teachers, or school officials

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!