AKJ Kirtanis

Vir Singh

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the kirtanees are amazing. They have a special ability to bring together the sangat and everyone participates. More than anything else, they are GurSikhs, we have to respect GurSikhs.

GurSikhaan De Har Dhoor Deh, Hum Paapi Pe Ghat Paaen. (sorry for any mistakes.)

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

AKJ forever, but isn’t it Guru Jee who is bringing the congregation together? How many of those Kirtanis actually even follow the rehet to the fullest i.e. Amritvela etc? I doubt many of them do. Then why is there always a huge sensation when a so and so kirtani is coming to a smagam? I’m afraid that many people today are more interested in flashy tunes rather then getting rass from kirtan. I barely attend akj smagams anymore due to the shortage of time, but increasingly I have noticed that people measure the success of the smagam only if a “famous” kirtani has attended.

Although, I really do like this aspect of AKJ of congregational kirtan. But I totally disagree with Kirtani superstardom.

I actually agree with you...

BUT

yes, theres a but, a pretty big one :umm:

I dont agree this is only a problem with AKJ. Many people only attend gurudwara if so and so raagi from outside is coming etc.. many people travel hours to go to a gurudwara if Bhai Niranjan Singh or Bhai Harjinder Singh etc are coming. So this stardom is a trait of most Sikhs in general and not AKJ.

AKJ forever, but isn’t it Guru Jee who is bringing the congregation together? How many of those Kirtanis actually even follow the rehet to the fullest i.e. Amritvela etc? I doubt many of them do. Then why is there always a huge sensation when a so and so kirtani is coming to a smagam? I’m afraid that many people today are more interested in flashy tunes rather then getting rass from kirtan. I barely attend akj smagams anymore due to the shortage of time, but increasingly I have noticed that people measure the success of the smagam only if a “famous” kirtani has attended.

Although, I really do like this aspect of AKJ of congregational kirtan. But I totally disagree with Kirtani superstardom.

Waheguru works through the kirtanees. I will have to say that if it wasn't for AKJ style kirtan, I wouldn't be listening to kirtan, same goes with my friends. So I have a lot of respect for the kirtanees. Also you have no right to assume that the kirtanees don't follow rehat to the fullest. Out of all the groups in Sikhism, AKJ is one of the very few that do follow rehat and Sikhi to the fullest. Most "Sikh" groups don't. I enjoy the kirtan, I enjoy the tunes aswell. I think it is naive to say that I listen to kirtan just for the Gurbani and not the tunes. Initially everyone is attracted to the tune, because it occupies the mind so that you can list

en to the Gurbani. If you Vir Singh, unless you are a saint and can control the mind, you will be attracted to the tunes. Nothing wrong with that. The kirtanees are known because of their skill. Give credit where credit is due. And enjoy the raas vala kirtan.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Mkhalsa, I think I agree with your point. This is not only an akj thing but a general Sikh thing. The reason why I only targeted AKJ is because AKJ is one of the leading shirominee(head) organization of the Panth. Thus I expect more from AKJ then I would from the average Sikh group out there. AKJ members should set the standard when it comes to following Gurmat. That is why I specifically targeted AKJ and not any other group.

AKJ forever, in my opinion it’s wrong to go after tunes of the kirtani. It doesn’t take a saint to appreciate the Gurbani being sung though Bhajan Kirtan. I am no saint, nor do I claim to be one, but I would certainly get more Rass out of kirtan being done by a Rehetwaan Gursikh who could barely use the Vajaa, rather then a person who is just moderately following the rehet but is an expert kirtani. People now a days are more after tunes of the kirtani rather then the Jeevan of the kirtani. What reason is there for kirtanis to be flown from all over the world to a smagam? Just to listen to his tunes? Most of them most certainly do not follow the rehet to the fullest. Just read Ranglay Sajjan, where bhai Randhir Singh Jee writes about the jeevan of great Gursikhs. Bhai Randhir Singh jee did not write about them because of their kirtan, but because of their amazing rehets. Rehet is the important thing of the Sikh, not his skills in kirtan. To judge someones jeevan because of there skills in tunes is superficial.