Rehat Maryada

Pheena

For pheena ji:

gm_rahit_rbns.gif

Without the Code of Conduct, One can not be referred to as a 'Sikh'.

Without the Code of Conduct, One will suffer in the Lord's Court.

SIKH CODE OF CONDUCT

In Sikhism, the word "Rahit" connotes to the precepts for moral and spiritual life. The Sikh Rahit includes spiritual and ethical instructions covering all spheres vital to pious living. The sacred contents of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, regardless of their authorship, are themselves the chief and primary Hukam-Namahs for the Khalsa. Every Sikh is obliged to follow and practice them to the best of his or her abilities. Other sources of the Khalsa Code of Conduct are Sikh scriptures such as the Dasam Granth (Sahib), containing the Banni of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Vaars of Bhai Gurdaas Ji, and the writings of Bhai Nand (Lal) Singh Ji.

Upon the creation of the Khalsa Panth, Guru Gobind Singh Ji instructed some of his prominent disciples not only to record how the Khalsa should live, but also how he should not live (do's and don'ts). Some of those scholars included : B

hai Daya Singh (one the Panj Piyaray), Bhai Desa Singh, Bhai Chaupa Singh, and Bhai Nand Singh Ji.

It is important to remember that just as no one has the authority to alter the contents of the above scriptures, for the same reason no individual or organization has the authority to modify the Sikh Rahit. There is only one Rahit Maryada for the Khalsa Panth, it does not belong to any particular Jatha or entity, yet as Sikhs we are all obliged to follow it.

Attempts have been made since the early part of the 20th century to document some of the minimum, day-to-day aspects of the Rahit, it is appropriately titled : "SIKH REHIT MARYADA", and is also known as "Sri Akal Takht Sahib di Maryada."

However, various "new" maryadas have come to evolve under the propoganda of the so-called "Sant-Smaaj", various deras, taksals, and other semperdais. Much of them are based on the very Vedic, Bramanic rituals that Guru Sahib warned us against. Therefore, they hold no value in Panthic circles, and easily fail tests of Gurmat-based logic and reasoning.

thats good info ji,

But where is this Rehat which was created by the ones appointed by Guru ji himself? Is the same Rehat now in the Hands of the SGPC which they do alter at will??

All I am saying is that If you are going to follow a Rehat then follow the Rehat of SGGS, not that which can be altered due to what one feels.

Waheguru

There are many things which are basics of Sikhi which are not written in the SGGS. Such as keeping ones hair, wearing 5 ks, so on and so forth. They are not written because the Gurus, esp Guru Gobind Singh Ji, wrote hukamnaamas and told the sangats themselves what he wanted Sikhs to keep and so forth. If something is not written in the SGGS, then that doesn't mean we don't follow it. There should be n

o excuse to not follow rehit if you are trying to be a Sikh. We don't follow what we "feel" is right. We aren't hippies. We are warriors.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Guru Sahib's HUKAM...

**Dhrig tina ka jeeviya je likh likh veechey naao

kheti jin ki ujre khalware kya thaao

sache surume bahare agge lahe na daad

Akal eh na aakhiye akal gavaayiye baad

Akli sahib seviye akli paayiye maan

Akli padd ke boojhiye akli keechey daan

Nanak aakhe rah ehu hor galan saitaan**

This HUKAM concludes everything... First tuks clear that Cursed is their life who just write books on naam or gursikhi without their own jeevni upto the mark. Then guru sahib said that it is not wisdom which leads to arguements... why are we doing arguements? It is not wisdom... its stupidity... if someone don't agree with the truth... guru sahibs hukam is **moorkhe naal na lujhiye**

Then next tuk tells us use our wisdom leads us to serve lord and we should just pray to guru sahib to give us that knowledge that we can understand what is right and what is wrong... then next tuk tells us... Use ur wisdom to understand what someone writes... only guru sahib wrote truth in dhan shri guru granth sahib ji... rest everyone writes according to the limited knowledge they have... understand gurbani and follow... we can take help of veechaar by real chardi kala gurmukhs but not just anyone or everyone... Nanak says only this is the right path... rest everything is evil. So i request my dear veerjee and bhenjis to not to argue on things... understand gurbani... and follow it... this is the only rehat for gursikhs... well ofcourse the rehat told by 5 and rehat written in books is the minimum rehat wi

thout which we are not sikhs at all but for improving jeevni every tuk in guru granth sahib ji maharaaj is a rehat... don't argue... just keep imbued in seva and simran... if someone has any doubt... just try to clear it with what knowledge guru sahib gave us but when it start going to arguement don't continue it and back out... no point arguing with moorakh... those who eat meat won't stop eating until guru sahib do kirpa and ofcourse they won't be able to concentrate on naam abhyaas... rehat is the most complicated topic and should never be argued upon... just follow pratham rehat eh jaan khande ki pahul chake and then the basic rehat told by 5 to follow... rest follow guru granth sahib ji maharaaj and improve the jeevni

Bhul Chuk di Khima

Daas

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

I think that Bhai Randheer Singh also created his own version of the rehat maryada...

However, various "new" maryadas have come to evolve under the propoganda of the so-called "Sant-Smaaj", various deras, taksals, and other semperdais. Much of them are based on the very Vedic, Bramanic rituals that Guru Sahib warned us against. Therefore, they hold no value in Panthic circles, and easily fail tests of Gurmat-based logic and reasoning.

Is this not the case?

Daas

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I don't think that he created his own marayda. He is one of the few Sikhs, I think, that has received honorary saropaas from all of the takhats for his devotion and his work in Sikhism. He was also one of the Sikhs which was asked to proof read/add to the Sikh Reht Marayda when it was written. ^_^

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Yes you need a set of rules. Those rules can be found in your heart. You do not need a Commite to tell you what lies in your heart. You should be able to find that yourself. those rules were for those who had no idea what to do. Do not spend your whole life reading a book full of rules. Let there become a time where yo don't need the rules, because one day you don't need rules to be pure. You become pure in itself by the grace of waheguru.

Waheguru.

oh singhoo. i knwo what u talkin bout..

i agree with u ji..

but u talking bout the higher level...whic u are at..cuz the way u write ur posts and talk bout things...its no doubt u have kirpa of Guru sahib ji on u.

but what bout peopel like me...there are paapi people like me out their who know nuffin(im not being humble...i really dont know ...)

u said

" those rules were for those who had no idea what to do. Do not spend your whole life reading a book full of rules."

dont take me wrong here..but from these words of urs, it seems like u saying that ALL of us know "WHAT TO DO? "

go t

o punjab...

go anywhere..and see how many mahapurakh U'ill find who "HAVE IDEA OF WHAT TO DO" so to say.

why go far..this issue is enough too see HOW MUCH WE ALL KNOW n "WHAT TO DO" bout it :e:

IF we knew what to do...this issue would've never

come up.. :umm::

there wouldn;t be peopel saying.."meat is ok as long as its not muslim type" VS "no meat"

THUS, we ALL"DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO"( should i eat meat as a sikh or should i not, i dont know..cuz Gurbani doesn;t clearfy this..and there is a split in sikh path over this issue :T: ).so those who are Gurmukhs, KNOW WHT TO DO, people like u veer jio know, and people like u(GurMukhs) have to GIVE PEOPEL LIKE ME SOME GUIDELINES(RULES) our Rehat Mariyada..so we can go on the RIGHT PATH...reach the TRUTH and not be cheated out(jus cuz we were ignorents/or unsure..that wont cut it when we at Sachi DARGAH and Lekha is asked)

i knwo waheguru is not mean..and he an't waitin for us to SCREW UP...lol...but hello we in human life...its kaljug ..life circle is right there in front of us!

i mean

waheguru or DHARAM RAJ can ask us...he be like

"if u read Gurbani..were u payin ATTENSION whenu were readin..meat is not for u" so what will i say to them? "oh waheguru jio, Panth decided it was ok to eat meat as long as it wasn;t muslim type..."

then waheguru can ask "do u see anyone here who is muslim or hindu..u all were born..and were to follwo the religion/Guru(need a guru to get out of this life

circle..im sure we all knwo this), that u decided to follow, who was ur GURU?, what did he tell u todo?"

again!! i be stuck....wont knwo what to say..lol

then u might be send back again..

as Guru bani says...all ur varats nem etc will go to waste, as kabir sahib ji said, whic is written in Guru granth sahib ji.

anyhow

im jus saying this, its not like i been to dargha :umm:

but "You reap what you sow"

and if we kill these animels, we will have to pay for it some day...

its Panths duty to lead us to right direction and give us CLEAR CUT ANSWERS. Our teacher is SrI Guru Granth sahib ji...and GURMUKHS ARE our elder bros and sisters who gona help us understand what our Guru sahib ji sayin.

followin these rules are jus STEPIN STONES for maahaa paapiz like me, when we come in rehat, then we read Gurbani we start out with what 5 tells us..its a slow process, dependin on our karams.followin Guru Granth sahib jis every hukum is like. is a far thing for a manmukh papai like me(dont kwno how many more lives i'll have to come back and finally reach my destny)

this issue of eatin MEAT isn't something that should be taken lighly! (there are many reasons,spritual ones, GREAT LOSE!)...but basic thing is that this is causin Confusion and split in Youth/Panth) :D

im sorry if i said something wrong..correct me..

this jus my openion ...

if i dont make sence..then for give me as well :H:

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

humbly

jur sista(u is older so its ur duty to make me understand,

nd tell me my mistakes tongue.gif : pray.gif )

Piyari sister ji,

Firstly i am not a Gurmukh by the outer appearence, i don't have long hair, i haven' yet taken Amrit.

You see you have alread answered your own question.

"You reap what you sow"

and if we kill these animels, we will have to pay for it some day...

You do not need a comitee to tell you that. Believe in yourself. Whaeguru has writeen his Hukam within you. Find it, then you won't have to worry about it in the future if someone from the SGPC had a change of mind and they changed soemthing again...that will leave u in doubt again.

I cannot tell you to not follow the Rehat of SGPC but I can tell you to Find the Rehat within you.

u said " those rules were for those who had no idea what to do.  Do not spend your whole life reading a book full  of rules."  dont take me wrong here..but from these words of urs, it seems like u saying that ALL of us know "WHAT TO DO? "

You do know, When you start to walk you begin to realize that waheguru is guiding me. He will let me

know if this is right or not. There comes a time when you have to start walking on the path. Do not spend you life wondering if i am doing this right and if i am doing this wrong. Then you will get no where. You are too worried about doing something wrong. But yet you forget to walk. You start to second guess yourself, is this right, i hope so....etc. What i meant by don't spend your life reading a book of rules, is that. Reading and Reading nothing is obtained. You must walk. You must fall, You must get up and learn from it.

Do not get me wrong in this that i am against reading the SGGS or other holy scriptures.

Rules are there for those who had no idea what to do. If you are still in elementry school then yes you need a set of rules to make you understand how to organize letter into words. First you learn letter, then you learn words. Then you learn to make sentences with those words. Then comes a time when you no longer need those rules. You begin to understand. You do not have to write on a piece of paper and work out the problem of what is 2x9. You do not have to go thru all of the multipications of 2 to get to 9. You have understood the basics. I myself have just begun to understand the basics...but that does not mean i can graduate already. If i have a question about someting, i ask waheguru, I try to find that within me....and i read Rehraas or a Hukamnama. I have found my answer in the Guru's Bani, not in the Rehat Maryada of SGPC.

I apologize that i had generalized everyoen by that comment. But i feel almost everyone here needs a little push to give them some courage, that you can do this. You can Find the Hukam of waheguru wihtin you. Contemplaing on a book of rules that is bound to change, due to the some individual making a decision for you. What if they do pass this rule that Jatkha meat is ok. Will you eat it?? It will be in the Rehat. will you go against what the Waheguru inside of you is telling you or What the Rehat is telling y

ou.

hukam rajaa-ee chalnaa naanak likhi-aa naal. ||1||

He has written his will With you.

I am not saying the Rehat is bad for all. Some need it to get their path Straightened out...but the changes they are doing to it is giving me second thought of the Authenticity and how many other changes are they going to do to it.

I hope what i wrote clarifies few things...

Waheguru

Pheena Ji, I disagree.

You have to have some conformity. To be a Sikh, you have to have a generalized set of rules. So the world knows that Sikh, can do this, this, and not this. Just like we know that Chrisitians do this, this, and not this. Muslims do this, so on and so on. You can't go your separate way and think that your rehat is correct. Sikhism is already broken up and weak, we don't want people to think whatever they think is right and they should do that.

Remember:

gm_rahit_sssb.gif

He alone is a Sikh, a friend, a relative and a sibling, who follows the Way of the Guru's Will.

One who follows according to his own will, O Siblings of Destiny, suffers displeasure of separation from the Lord.

(Sorath M3, P601)

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Pheena Ji, I disagree.

You have to have some conformity. To be a Sikh, you have to have a generalized set of rules. So the world knows that Sikh, can do this, this, and not this. Just like we know that Chrisitians do this, this, and not this. Muslims do this, so on and so on. You can't go your separate way and think that your rehat is correct. Sikhism is already broken up and weak, we don't want people to think whatever they think is right and they should do that.

Remember:

gm_rahit_sssb.gif

He alone is a Sikh, a friend, a relative and a sibling, who follows the Way of the Guru's Will.

One who follows according to his own will, O Siblings of Destiny, suffers displeasure of separation from the Lord.

(Sorath M3, P601)

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

veer ji,

You are not understanding what i am saying.

You want me to follow the Rehat of SGPC, which is creating its own rules, is it not? it is not me who is creating this different Rehat, it is the SGPC, it is the Taksal, it is the so and so group of people. If you tell me to follow this Jatkha meat because SGPC allows it in their Rehat. I will question it because i do not understand the logic reasoning behind it. I cann

ot follow something fully which i cannot understand. The SGPC is not my guru, that i will follow them without questioning. There is as much political agendas as ther are religious, if not more.

I am not going my own way. If u had read what i wrote, i said, I follow our GURU. NOt my own Rehat. What i have is given to me by our guru. I obtained nothing for my self. I have nothing of my own. What i have is his, this mind, this thinking is his blessing. Guru ji gives an understanding of his rules thru his Bani. I will use them to find my answers. i will not blindly follow something. Waheguru has given me a brain to use, i will use it to comprehend what i cannot. I will use my GURU as my Master, but i will use my brain along with my GURU. What GuRU ji is teaching us is beyond the captivities of the mind, but before you can go beyond the mind, you must use the mind. It begins from the mind but does not end in the mind. If it begins in the mind and it ends in the mind. You have gotten no where.

Waheguru.