How To Get Youth To Come To Gurdwara

Guest rsingh

Any suggestions on how to get the youth to come to gurdwara what kind of activities and best ways of teaching them with regards to Sikhi...

Alot of youth are panjabi culture but dont have sikhi except a kara...

lets say teenagers 15>

stuff like, Gatka,

WJKK WJKF

Camps are the Godfather of all Sikh inspiration!

Lectures and talks just doesn’t attract teens anymore. However, you stick in a Gatka and gallery presentation, and they flock like sheep! mwahaha :)

Seriously though, they want a mixture of physical activity and inspirational talks. Most youngsters are interested in the martial side of our heritage. So try to involve that factor and chip in the Saint side aswell.

Peace

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I think the best thing is to:

make them question them to make them think about what am i doing on this earth?

Am i wasting my life? (if thier manmukhs)

What does it mean to be a Sikh?

(thats how i got into Sikhi, after questioning my identity, and my life)

So i researched on the internet about Sikhi, which got me into Sikhi,

(although some sites had reems of information without spaces and not in differnt colours which made it harder for me to want to learn more, although i managed.

thats how i found Sikhsangat.com, to find out more about Sikhi.

And after going on other sites i realised the importance of the company of the holy, ie going to the Gurdwara.

because i realised that i dont wanna waste my life and all i need is God, to erase all my depression and pain and problems. Because i realised no human can solve any of problems, mentally and in general life problems which we dont want to share with anyone.

Lectures that are in in english would help youth go to the Gurdwara, as in punjabi we dont understand much of them- so its gets boring or useless coz we dont understand them.

Also it will make us youth feel more important as we know its targeted at us.

I had a friend once tell me how the christians do it. I don't know about YMCA but I guess its some christian org and they have basketball courts on their premises...or maybe they go those courts. Anyway, what they do is sell a chocolate bar to the youths on basketball courts, and while the kids are eating and savoring the chocolate bars, these YMCA ppl are talking about God and Jesus....and eventually thats how they win people.

I'm not suggesting lets use deception like candy bars to get a moment to talk to kids about God....but if the idea helps spark some other ideas....I like discussion groups...get all the kids together and get them started on the topic of sikhi and have them talk about their views on it.

well theres a camp in america... and its not just sikhi..... but other activiteis tht are involves tht kids or teens would join and that grabs tehir attention....

teens find it especially bring if tehy have to keep listening ot teh perosn talk for a long period of time! They strat to doze of.. i.e. sleeping!! LOL.gif