Guru Nanak In Dreams Of The American Convert...

WGJKKWGJKF

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGUUR JI KI FATEH

This is copied n pasted from rediff news:

American Sikhs congregate in Anandpur Sahib for tercentenary

Onkar Singh in Anandpur Sahib

Over 300 American and Canadian Sikhs led by Yogi Harbhajan Singh have been camping at Anandpur Sahib for the last fortnight. The delegation of overseas American and Canadian Sikh men, women and child converts is here to take part in the Khalsa Panth's tercentenary celebrations.

Lodged at the Nand Lal school near the Gurdwara Takht Sri Kesgarh Sahib, the American and Canadian Sikhs begin their day early with the recitation of the Japji Sahib. They have been taught the Sikh scriptures in the Gurmukhi script. "Those who don't know are in the process of learning," says Singh Sahib Bhai Harbhajan Singh, an American Sikh convert.

"We have been here for almost two weeks now. It has been a pleasant feeling being here. We felt we were coming back home to the place of our holy Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib," says Gurnam Kaur from New Mexico. She was a Catholic Christian before she embraced Sikhism under Harbhajan Yogi's influence.

A 45-year-old American who insists on calling himself Singh Sahib Bhai Harbhajan Singh embraced Sikhism 24 years ago when he saw "Guru Nanak in my dreams."

"He did not say a word to me, but his mere presence in my dreams changed the entire course of my life. I had been learning Yoga from Yogi Harbhajan Singh for many years. But the day I saw Guru Nanak in my dreams, I decided to embrace Sikhism. Since then I have been a Sikh," says Harbhajan Singh.

"Already, more then 10,000 people have become Khalsas of their choice.

Thousands more are learning how to chant Sat Nam Wahe Guru. The number of Amritdhari Sikhs is also going up. All of us who have come to the holy city are Amritdhari Sikhs," says Guru Raj Kaur Khalsa.

She converted to Sikhism 28 years ago. Her husband and two daughters are also Sikhs by choice. She says she embraced Sikhism in order to lead a "peaceful and pure" life.

"There are millions of people who are learning the teachings of Guru Nanak from Yogi. All of them may not be converting to Sikhism, but they have definitely benefited from the teachings of the great Gurus," she adds.

"We do our Amritvela (early morning prayers), meditate and sing kirtans before embarking upon other daily routines. Things here are very different from North America. Here, there is total chaos and yet things keep running. This give us the impression that this place is being run by the will of god. Back in North America we have things far more organised then here. But it does not mean there is no will of god. I wish we could organise things a bit more here," adds another disciple of Yogi Harbhajan.

Thirty-year-old Simran Khalsa has been enjoying her stay in Anandpur Sahib. She was initiated into Sikhism by Yogi Harbhajan Singh. "I feel happy that I found a religion where I can pray everyday. And not once a week as I used to do as a Christian," she says.

Yogi Harbhajan Singh is confident that Sikhism will grow in North America in the years to come. "I am honoured that the great Gurus gave me an opportunity to spread the message of Sikhism in other parts of the world," he says in an informal chat with his disciples. "Wherever you are and whatever you may be doing, keep chanting Sat Nam Wahe Guru in your hearts and the Gurus will be with you."

The link is:http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/apr/12sikh.htm

Just hoping to know whats the Sangats view of this and if anyone elses got any other amazing stories like this.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

lol, this might sound a bit militant of me, so i ask mafee from sangat (especially WJKKWJKF)

basically, singho please do not say these guys "coverted" into sikhi. they do mind when you say that, as i can narrate from my own personal experiences and that landed me in trouble.

please do not do the same mistake as i did ji! pray.gif :TH:

gustaphi maaf

lol, this might sound a bit militant of me, so i ask mafee from sangat (especially WJKKWJKF)

basically, singho please do not say these guys "coverted" into sikhi. they do mind when you say that, as i can narrate from my own personal experiences and that landed me in trouble.

please do not do the same mistake as i did ji!  pray.gif   :TH:

gustaphi maaf

128872[/snapback]

I'm curiuos as to what did the person suggest you call him/her?

They do mind being called “converts”. In their opinion “conversion” is derogatory term. They believe that every one is born Sikh (a natural state of an human being.) but only the ones who “adopt” the Sikh way of life remain and become real Sikhs. (So there is no reason to call the process of becoming truly the real person as "conversion"). So they prefer to be called the people who have adapted Sikhi. It is not an instant process. They slowly become Sikh over time. In conversion people become converts instantly by some kind of ritual (forced or voluntary). If you talk to them they will always say that they adopted Sikhi and that they became Sikhs over a period of time. THEY HAVE ADOPTED SIKHI - not “converted” to Sikhism