About The 5ks

Bhajneet

The following five K’s are the mark of Sikhi.These five can never be parted from the body. Kara, Kirpan, Kashera, Kangha, recognise these as four of them.The fifth is Kesh, without which the other four are useless. There are also four H’s which must be avoided. Understand this without any doubt, no lies have been told. Hukka, taking tobacco (including any other type of intoxicants). Hajamat, removing of hair. Halalo, eating meat. Haram, adultery (sexual relationships outside of marriage). These are the four H’s. Dyeing of beards (including any other body hair), and the wearing of mehndi (including other types of make up) are strictly forbidden.

(Sri Dasam Granth)

The following five K’s are the mark of Sikhi.These five can never be parted from the body. Kara, Kirpan, Kashera, Kangha, recognise these as four of them.The fifth is Kesh, without which the other four are useless. There are also four H’s which must be avoided. Understand this without any doubt, no lies have been told. Hukka, taking tobacco (including any other type of intoxicants). Hajamat, removing of hair. Halalo, eating meat. Haram, adultery (sexual relationships outside of marriage). These are the four H’s. Dyeing of beards (including any other body hair), and the wearing of mehndi (including other types of make up) are strictly forbidden.

(Sri Dasam Granth)

131528[/snapback]

not doubting 5k's or dasam patsah bachans at all but i m curious which ang in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji this is stated?

The five Ks are all part of the uniform of a Sikh, it doesn't say that in Guru Granth Sahib, because Gurbani focus on God. I am not sure where it is written but wearing the 5ks is all part of the Amrit ceremony(which is like baptizism for a Sikh). The Kirpan is a ceremonial sword(hence Amrit ceremoney), it is to remind the Sikhs to always fight against tyranny and opression and protect the community weather you use it or not. Looking back at old paintings it always showed Sikhs wearing Kirpans even if they were holding large swords in their hands. When you see a person with a Kirpan, that is a sign that this person is a memeber of the Khalsa, he is ready to give his/her life for justice at anytime. When I see people wearing the Kirpan inside their pants, i notice they put the sheath(cover) in their pants, and let the handle stick out. BTW the Kirpan looks much more intimidating and is much more lethal than someones hands.

A lot of what we do is not written in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee. If you have the idea that I only going to read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee and that is it and not look anyplace else then you will miss out. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee doesn't say to keep our hair, but it is a must. Everything that has to do with rehat, such as wear 5 ks comes from Sri Dasam Granth and RehatNaamas written by the original Panj Pyarays. In order to get the whole picture, you have to do research.

Some helpful links:

http://www.panthkhalsa.org/rahit/rahit.php

Watch the first video:

http://gursikhijeevan.com/media/video/index.php

it's the uniform given by our guru to enter the school of Waheguru!

with this uniform ..u can attend HIS class and u will face HIS tests (i mean the challenges in day-to-day life).. if u still remember HIM during difficulties ... u r passed!!

now to be in school... u have to also obey the discipline of school given by the principal (Waheguru) and instructed thru our gurus on the form of Rehat!!

and this school's timings r 24hrs..7 days of week :TH: