Are Sikhs Hindus?

palamrinder

I'm not sure if this has be discussed here before or not, but the fact is any sikh couple marrying in india are married under hindu marriage act whereas muslims have their own muslim marriage act. Why it is so..... what are thousands of leaders ,sikh organisations and sikh intellegentsia doing about it. The british government did passed anand karj marriage act... but independent india hasnt done it? When we scream out our lungs for being a separate community then why we are being married as hindus. If sikhs needed to move some international court some day in future to ask for their rights, this will go against us big time as majority of sikhs still live in india and are married as hindus and would be counted as hindus too..... i dont know why we all are so complacent about this issue.....

SGPC would spend crores on buying cars and fuel, but not raise this issue in court. Akalis are fighting for seats and would raise the issue of sikh quam in danger around elections, but will not raise this issue....... even the hardcore sepratist leaders havent raised their voices in recent times......

I feel this would be the first step to be recognised as a different religion if we are successfull in getting it implemented..... I just want to request sangat that whenever they come up with issues relating to sikhs, they should bring up this issue too and try to force our leaders to get it legally passed in india..... I'm not a big fan of manmohan singh, but having a sikh PM might be helpful in getting this act passed....... just want input from sangat what is the best possible way to get Anand karaj act passed.......

Deg Teg fateh

Maybe we can organize a day where thousands of Sikhs all across India get married under some kind of "Anand Karaj" act, and make our own certificates, sooner or later they will have to recognize it.

Isn't there anyway I could get married in India, and then get a good lawyer and take it to court?

I think it would be a really good idea if this issue could be stressed to the UN. What if we protested by not getting married legally until this problem was solved, I mean we will get married in the Gurdwaras, but no legal documents. I am sure the would get some attention and pablicity.

I am sorry I sound like an excited 12 year old kid, but this is really important to me, and it is all up to us.

Fateh!!!

Dear untitled veer... we dont have to get you married or arrested to get the law passed.... we just need our thick headed leaders, sgpc, khalsa dal, taksal, any organisation to take the issue up and follow it steadfastly..... so far this issue hasnt been in focus as most people get married in gurudwaras and dont need a govt. certifacte to proove. Its only when someone needs to immigrate such document is required and here the problem is.... if we migrate to some other country as HINDUS how can we call ourselves a different religion while complacently marrying as hindus. Just need to pass this message to our leaders.... hopefully simranjit singh mann could raise the issue.....

Fateh

Sat Sri Akal:

I think there was recent news that stated the Anand Marriage Act passed under the British Administration was still in effect and it pertained to referring to Sikhs as separate. Jagiro was telling Sikhs to marry under that law so they could be recognized as Sikhs and not Hindus.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Umm, that's totally irrational, bro. There are plenty of prakash-dara Singhs in Punjab (less than we'd like, but still plenty). No one cares that you are sabat soorat. It isn't 1986. You can walk around in chola, kurta-pajama, or jeans. Whatever. If you want the look @dallysingh101 is referring to, just go into a cheap clothing shop (not a Western-style mall) and buy some shirts for 250 rupees or a track suit for 2000 rupees. You'll get the cheap stuff made in some sweatshop in Bombay.
    • The Mind is Jyot Saroop (Waheguru), but the mind is under the influence of five evils… Through Naam Simran( Rememberance), the mind will begin to detach from evil, and get back to its original form ( MANN TU JYOT SAROOP HEH)… Until the mind breaks free from the five evils, one will go through the cycle of paap and punn….which leads to Karma… Naam Simran destroys past karma, and prevents new karma coming into fruition… I did this, I did that… This non realisation of the Jyot Saroop gives rise to paap and Punn, which in turn gives birth to suffering and misery…
    • I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 

Important Information

Terms of Use