Ratanmala?

KH4L1$T4N1

Guest A Singh.

Ratan Mala is a twenty-odd stanza Kachi Bani composition in Raag Ramkali that appears towards the end of Puratan Birs (very old copies of Guru Granth Sahib). As far as I know most the Panth has agreed this is not Gurbani and thus it does not have an inclusion in printed Saroops, but there are smaller sections of the Panth who still believe it is Gurbani.

Kavi Santokh Singh and Gyani Gyan Singh have written in their respective Granths that they believe it to be the word of Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

Guest A Singh.

In response to my Veer Pheena Ji, yes this is a different composition to Raag Mala. Rattan means Jewel or Gem so Rattan Mala is like a rosary or sequence of Jewels.

I don't understand why you would want to read Rattan Mala. There are hundreds of Angs of Gurbani to read, written by our Gurus. Least of all should a controversy on Rattan Mala's status as Bani be restarted as it has been on Raag Mala.

If you really wanted to read Rattan Mala then you can find it in many Puratan Birs at the end with other additional compositions. I think, also once it was printed in a Gutka by a certain group.

In response to my Veer Pheena Ji, yes this is a different composition to Raag Mala. Rattan means Jewel or Gem so Rattan Mala is like a rosary or sequence of Jewels.

I don't understand why you would want to read Rattan Mala. There are hundreds of Angs of Gurbani to read, written by our Gurus. Least of all should a controversy on Rattan Mala's status as Bani be restarted as it has been on Raag Mala.

If you really wanted to read Rattan Mala then you can find it in many Puratan Birs at the end with other additional compositions. I think, also once it was printed in a Gutka by a certain group.

132430[/snapback]

What group was that?? Just out of interest, nothing more sinister. Do any "groups" still believe it to be bani?

Guest A Singh.

From the little I know, certain sections of Taksal and Nihang Jathebandia do still read Rattan Mala. I do not know how widespread the acceptance of this Bani is within the aforemented groups, and I do not think it is accepted in "mainstream" Taksal. Usually acceptance comes from camps ideologically contrasted to that of "mainstream" Singh Sabha ideas.

Perhaps some other wise Gursikh can correct me as I am unsure on this.