Taking Kirpan In Court

UntitledSingh

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I got a speeding ticket a while back and now I have to go to court on Nov 30. They have metal detectors and I am almost positive they wont allow me to take the Kirpan inside(they will probably arrest if they find out I am wearing it inside or outside the court), because I live in near LA and they dont know much about Sikhs wearing Kirpans. And the Sikhs who do wear a Kirpan (including me) wear them under the cloths. And that is another problem because if we wear it on the outside we might get arrested if they see it, but wearing it on the inside is much worse and considered a Felony. In Canada and the UK do they allow Sikh to wear their Kirpan inside courts?? What should I do?

VJKK

VJKF

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Just wear it paaji ... i had to go through metal detectors.. they will think its youre kara.. and you cnt remove that

If they do not have knowlegde of kirpans.. print a document off ?.. and if you have to show them ... only if they ask huna!!

and do ardas to maharj ... everything wil be fine

waheguru ji ka khasla waheguru ji ki fateh

Gurfateh Ji,

In the UK, the Lord Chancellor issued a directive to court staff that they should respect Sikh traditional dress and allow the kirpan in court, as long as it was no longer than either three or six inches in length. I can't quite remember now, but they basically restricted the length. However not many court staff are aware of this and, given the state of panic after 9/11, I'm sure some Sikhs do get stopped.

I'm not sure what the situation in the USA is though. I hope you'll be able to sort something out.

I know that if the metal detector goes off, they hand search you using a small metal detector to find out where the metal is, so they will find it no matter what.

How about Canada, do they allow Kirpaned Sikhs in court?

136092[/snapback]

Why not ring them up and find out?

136093[/snapback]

Ring Canada up? I live in the US. lol and I hope you didn't mean call the court to find out how their metal detector work lol LOL.gif

Vaheguroo Jee

I visited high court a few weeks back to listen to a court case anyway they knew about kirpan some signhs had gone in earlyer. anyway Judge Motta singh (however you spell it) has advised them on a 3inch rule. anyhoww they let other singhs with 10 inch in they just make you wait for an adviser and ask you to keep it under your clothes.

With regards to USA follow Balait_da_Sher advisre and phone them...

I talked to a sardar a little while ago and he told me that I am going to have to take it off he said its the same thing as the airport, he also told me that when there are more Singhs and Kaurs in LA the situation will get better. I am getting a little worried cause I got to go in 4 days, I really dont want to take it off, and if I wear it and show them, and make an attempt to educate them I will probably be arrested.

(BTW I find when explaining to friends about the Kirpan, I find they understand very easily when I give them an example of how a King gives kightship to somebody(he touches the sword on the shoulders of the person maknig him a knight during the ceremoney)