Worldwide Day Of Protest

JagtarSinghKhalsa

VJKK VJKF,

A candlelight vigil was held today in Nottingham as part of the Worldwide Protest. There were a good turnout, quite a few people asking what was happening and with maharaj's kirpa it didnt rain. :TH:

Photos are up and anyone wants to see them, they can be seen at the Sikh Community & Youth Service (SCYS) Website

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VJKK VJKF,

A candlelight vigil was held today in Nottingham as part of the Worldwide Protest. There were a good turnout, quite a few people asking what was happening and with maharaj's kirpa it didnt rain.  :TH:

Photos are up and anyone wants to see them, they can be seen at the Sikh Community & Youth Service (SCYS) Website

147193[/snapback]

Nottingham Sikhs - Great job done, good photos

Email message for Nottingham Sikhs sent to Sikh Federation (UK) email address (on postcards)

Congratulations on the Nottingham Day of Protest

Hi There,

Just a quick note to say congratulations and Thank You for the Day of Protest in

the centre of Nottingham.

I was on my way home from work when I walked past, and noticed the group and

the banner with the candles.

I crossed over and was warmly greeted, given a friendly and coherent explanation

of the purpose of the protest. The Leaflet was very well put together, and I was

happy to light a candle as a small token of support.

Although I was aware of some of the isses, I ceratainly wasn't aware that this

is still currently a problem. So very well done, for so pleasantly raising my awareness.

If you have an email address for supporting mails or an electronic petitiion of some kind, I would be very happy to show my support.

I thought you'd like some positive feedback that you have certainly raised the awareness of some people. Campaigning can be very disheartening, I hope a little support helps a little.

Good look and Best Wishes,

Russell Jays

wjkk wjkf

Slough vigil had a dissapointing turn out, about 30 ppl in total 90% all youth . Well done to everyone who attend. And to the 10,000 or so Sikhs in tiny slough who didnt please make an effort to come to these events next time. Nice to see such a wicked turn in out in other UK locations.

147199[/snapback]

Slough protest on radio (30 seconds after about four and a half minutes)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/realmedia/bulletins.ram

I heard about 40 Sikhs turned up and some non-Sikhs joined in, but good media coverage (local press) and a number of Sikh councillors also attended. Must have raised awareness, but agree Slough Sikhs should do much better. Also at least not as bad as Sikhs in Southall, Hounslow etc. who probably did nothing.

SIKH VIGIL IS PART OF WORLDWIDE PROTEST

09:30 - 17 January 2006

A Candlelight vigil is taking place in Derby today in protest against human rights violations and the detention of political prisoners.

The vigil will take place in the Market Place between 5pm and 7pm and is being held by the Sikh Federation UK.

It is part of a worldwide day of protest, which will see Sikhs across the world hold vigils to show their opposition to the death penalty and call for the release of all Sikh political prisoners held in jails in India.

The protest marks the 11th anniversary of the imposition of the death penalty on Professor Davinderpal Singh Bhullar, a Sikh political activist deported from Germany.

[Congratulations to town/cities that arranged such publicy in advance, during after the vigils]