Shoe House Sewa

Randip Ji,

I hear what your sayin’ but it does not follow that the whole setup is a ‘cynical ploy’ to feed the ego.

Jhoray di sewa is popular and so people see other people doing it and think “hey I could do this sewa, I could also get laha” and so they do it. I would say it is more out of piyar then to show off (although I am sure there are people like that also)

Maybe education is needed, make people aware that there are toilets at the back that need cleaning and I am sure you will find many people jumping at the chance of cleaning them. If someone said to me “there is toilet the sewa in the back” I would jump at the chance.

For me Jodhay-di-sewa is a mahan sewa and only a few can do it. You say that the dust means nothing to you, Guru Arjun Dev Ji in Sukhmani Sahib says “ do ishnaan in the charan dhoor of a sadhu sant”

If I were to try to do it the first thing that would come into my head would be “what are people going to say if they see me doing this ” - I am sorry to say, this is ego, rather then those people who actually do the sewa.

I think this is the difference (amongst many) between you and me, I have all these airy fairy type of ideas where as you seem to me to be a very practical person.

I hope you do not mind me saying but a cynic gains nothing but looses a lot, because he believes in very little. He sees something, and rather then seeing the merits he will look on the negative and find fault. Sometimes it is best to close ones eyes and carry on along your path regardless.

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

Well doing sewa in any form without having any ego, hypocratic feelings & for the welfare of sangat / other people is good.

Though I also seconded the point that we should be wise in doing sewa like as we should be wise to use our dasvandh. We should do sewa in the area which actually require it more, no matter how many people are doing it or watching us the other sewa.

bhulla chukka dee maufai

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

Randip Ji,

I hear what your sayin’  but it does not follow that the whole setup is a ‘cynical ploy’ to feed the ego.

Jhoray di sewa is popular and so people see other people doing it and think “hey I could do this sewa, I could also get laha” and so they do it. I would say it is more out of piyar then to show off (although I am sure there are people like that also)

Maybe education is needed, make people aware that there are toilets at the back that need cleaning and I am sure you will find many people jumping at the chance of cleaning them. If someone said to me “there is toilet the sewa in the back” I would jump at the chance.

For me Jodhay-di-sewa is a mahan sewa and only a few can do it. You say that the dust means nothing to you, Guru Arjun Dev Ji in Sukhmani Sahib says “ do ishnaan in the charan dhoor of a sadhu sant”

If I were to try to do it the first thing that would come into my head would be “what are people going to say if they see me doing this ”  - I am sorry to say, this is ego, rather then those people who actually do the sewa.

I think this is the difference (amongst many) between you and me, I have all these airy fairy type of ideas  where as you seem to me to be a very practical person.

I hope you do not mind me saying but a cynic gains nothing but looses a lot, because he believes in very little. He sees something, and rather then seeing the merits he will look on the negative and find fault. Sometimes it is best to close ones eyes and carry on along your path regardless.

141032[/snapback]

Interesting.

I would not say I was cynical or pessimistic, but pragmatic.

For me cleaning of shoes has no value. Go inside the Gurudwara, clean the floor, clean the tables, wash the dishes, clean the dishes, cook the food, clean the toilets, help the less fortunate.............but trivial things like cleaning shoes, which people are more than capable of doing themselves.............come on.

I see us dangerously reverting back to Hindu ritualism, and stuff like this shoe sewa nonsense is a step that way...........I'm hearing stories here off like the magical dust from the shoes will help us....huh/ wacko.gif ............Our Guru's would be laughing their heads off at us if they could see us now. LOL.gif

AK-47

No offence friend but I have no idea what you are talking about.

The difference between people and our Guru's is monumental.........fact is Guru's had managed to control their Egotism..............I doubt that is true with people generally.

<<< Guru's would be laughing their heads off at us if they could see us now >>>

But look what Guru Arjun Dev Ji says :

charan saaDh kay Dho-ay Dho-ay pee-o.

Wash the feet of the Holy, and drink in this water.

arap saaDh ka-o apnaa jee-o.

Dedicate your soul to the Holy.

saaDh kee Dhoor karahu isnaan.

Take your cleansing bath in the dust of the feet of the Holy.

saaDh oopar jaa-ee-ai kurbaan.

To the Holy, make your life a sacrifice.

saaDh sayvaa vadbhaagee paa-ee-ai.

Service to the Holy is obtained by great good fortune.

saaDhsang har keertan gaa-ee-ai.

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, the Kirtan of the Lord's Praise is sung.

anik bighan tay saaDhoo raakhai.

From all sorts of dangers, the Saint saves us.

har gun gaa-ay amrit ras chaakhai.

Singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, we taste the ambrosial essence.

ot gahee santeh dar aa-i-aa.

Seeking the Protection of the Saints, we have come to their door.

sarab sookh naanak tih paa-i-aa. ||6||

All comforts, O Nanak, are so obtained. ||6||

Never mind touching the feet, Guru Arjun Dev Ji says wash the feet of the holy and take ishnaan in the dust of the holy,

Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

I beg of all the Saints: please, give me the merchandise.

I offer my prayers-I have forsaken my pride.

I am a sacrifice, hundreds of thousands of times a sacrifice, and I pray: please, give me the dust of the feet of the Saints. ||1||

Next you will be saying no need for Chaur de sewa as this serves no purpose.

I am sure you are aware that Guru Amar Das Ji used to fetch water for Guru Angad Dev Ji from a river many miles away. In the pitch darkness they used to walk backwards all the way to the river so as not to turn their back on their Guru, this is pure sewa.

Would you also say that this was irrelevant as it was not “practical” ?

thank you for claifying budha ji,

randeep no offence taken, you have as usual made your mind up based on your opinion and that is that.

Brothers have provided gurbani to show guru ji's attitude to the dhoor of the feet of the sangat, while you seem to rely on your own thoughts and ideas. You say 'i think ....' well as requested please leave what you think at the door and read what the guru thinks.

Thanks

<<< Guru's would be laughing their heads off at us if they could see us now >>>

But look what Guru Arjun Dev Ji says :

charan saaDh kay Dho-ay Dho-ay pee-o.

Wash the feet of the Holy, and drink in this water.

arap saaDh ka-o apnaa jee-o.

Dedicate your soul to the Holy.

saaDh kee Dhoor karahu isnaan.

Take your cleansing bath in the dust of the feet of the Holy.

saaDh oopar jaa-ee-ai kurbaan.

To the Holy, make your life a sacrifice.

saaDh sayvaa vadbhaagee paa-ee-ai.

Service to the Holy is obtained by great good fortune.

saaDhsang har keertan gaa-ee-ai.

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, the Kirtan of the Lord's Praise is sung.

anik bighan tay saaDhoo raakhai.

From all sorts of dangers, the Saint saves us.

har gun gaa-ay amrit ras chaakhai.

Singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, we taste the ambrosial essence.

ot gahee santeh dar aa-i-aa.

Seeking the Protection of the Saints, we have come to their door.

sarab sookh naanak tih paa-i-aa. ||6||

All comforts, O Nanak, are so obtained. ||6||

Never mind touching the feet, Guru Arjun Dev Ji says wash the feet of the holy and take ishnaan in the dust of the holy,

Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

I beg of all the Saints: please, give me the merchandise.

I offer my prayers-I have forsaken my pride.

I am a sacrifice, hundreds of thousands of times a sacrifice, and I pray: please, give me the dust of the feet of the Saints. ||1||

141043[/snapback]

What Guruji is talking about is keeping company of the learned/holy. To spend time even washing the feet of the holy is better than spending time in deep contemplation with those full of the five vices.

Now if you want to interpret this as cleaning peoples shoes in the Gurudwara, then thats up to you.

I think there is a phrase by Sufi Mystics which is similar.

thank you for claifying budha ji,

randeep no offence taken, you have as usual made your mind up based on your opinion and that is that.

Brothers have provided gurbani to show guru ji's attitude to the dhoor of the feet of the sangat, while you seem to rely on your own thoughts and ideas. You say 'i think ....' well as requested please leave what you think at the door and read what the guru thinks.

Thanks

141058[/snapback]

Friend you do not know me.

I have spent years pondering over such things and reading Bani. What you are saying is that I do not think like you. I probably don't to be fair. Hoever, diverse opinion is not a bad thing I think.