Shoe House Sewa

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

A while back one granthi singh at the gurdwara approached me whilst cleansing the shoes in the "jora ghar" (shoe house) and said that do not do this kind of sewa because this is only for your benefit and not for others. He said said you should rather distribute langar or wash the trays where both sides are benefitting. Or if you wan't to do it only do that which involves putting the sangat's shoes away and giving them a token.

When I asked him about it, he said that when guru sahib says about "charan dhoor" (become the dust of everyone's feet) it means sitting in the sangat amongst gurskihs in the darbar and cleansing your mind-which is fine. He also said that just brushing a cloth over someone's shoes or polishing them and then applying to your forhead is not proper sewa.

I understand his point but if it gives you great happiness and doing it out of love? When doing selfless service the thought of reward shouldn't be there as gurbani says do it with "dhan man dhan" (mind, body and soul - is that right - i don't know) because then it becomes like a duty. And also the Rehat Maryada by SGPC under voluntary service does not render against dusting the shoes of those visiting the gurdwara?

What are the sangats view on this?

Bhul chuk Maaf

i heard this before somewhere as well.

what i heard is that doing joothiya di sewa is good because humility is requred, hence this is the highest format of sewa.

however, from what i heard, all the people who do sewa on that day, anything that they have got out of the sewa, and you just happen to come across their joothi, you wipe them, their sewa comes onto your head.

so basically, the good they done...their deeds go onto you.

this is why you see people putting their joothi into a plastic bag, kind of bate because some dodgey illegal immigrant can run off with the joothi. and plus the people cleaning joothiya just want to touch it even more.

what the gyaani is saying here, is that what your doing is beneficial for you, but in doing so your not allowing others to wipe their paap off.

your taking them, and the paap you got goes onto them....by touching the joothiya you asking their forgiveness.

thats only if your reallllllyyyyyy humble though.

but its funny what he is saying because didnt guru arjun dev ji himself clean sangats joothie also?

but he shouldnt tell you what to do though. that is wrong.

Bhul Chukke Muaff Karni.

w8 we can only serve he guru huna??

140468[/snapback]

We can serve Guru ji’s Sangat also

so basically, the good they done...their deeds go onto you.

If only getting other people’s deeds into your account were that easy. People wouldn’t wear shoes to the Gurudwara if they found out their deeds would be put into others account :) @ . And people like me would probably start doing seva only because it would be an easy way of adding deeds to my account :lol:

but isnt there anotehr thread pointing out that touching sum1 feet is rong...

soo touching sum1s shoes is also bhramanvaadi?

w8 we can only serve he guru huna??

so tehrfeor we cant do seva coz we servin other people

wacko.gif man these lot confuddle meeee (soz 4 only talking abt other topic blush.gif )

140468[/snapback]

If we touch someones feet out of respect, ie. our parents, grandparents because of them being older than us than it is not unusual and theres nothing wrong in it, personally i dont do this.

When we are doing jorreh seva i think if we are humble and seeking no reward and just want blessings than however the seva is done, its all good!

:@ @ ...according to Gurbani its not wrong, so we don't need consultation from another person me thinks.

Dusting other people shoes is the outcome of our people stil hung over from the usual rituals performed by their hindu ansesters. theyve forgeten gurbani. this is a senseless act which goes against sikh principles.

youl get more deeds doing seva in the langar than attempting to take goods deeds via someones shoes....which is a load of Tosh.

If only getting other people’s deeds into your account were that easy. People wouldn’t wear shoes to the Gurudwara if they found out their deeds would be put into others account

infact some hide them, being realistic you need joothi

unless you want thorns and aches in your feet.

When we are doing jorreh seva i think if we are humble and seeking no reward and just want blessings than however the seva is done, its all good!

no but its still saab kaataab at the end of the day.

maharaj said we should share what we have around, that includes earnings, and all good and bad that we have.

for this reason, some gursikhs do not eat langar as they feel they are only adding debt to their head.

thats what i was told anyhow.

Dusting other people shoes is the outcome of our people stil hung over from the usual rituals performed by their hindu ansesters. theyve forgeten gurbani. this is a senseless act which goes against sikh principles.

Guru Arjun Dev Ji himself cleaned the and dusted the shoes of the sangat, so your basically saying that guru ji was doing a "senseless act which goes against sikh principles"?????

infact if you go to a hindu mandir and decide to clean the joothiya of the people there, they will mind alot.

well i suppose alot of aaj kal di people at the gurdwaray mind as well.

Bhul Chuke Muaf Karni

WAhE GURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHE GURU JI KI FATEH

MY understanding of doing seva of the shoes is to learn to become humble , to 'bring yourself to earth' if you have too much pride , and to realise that we are equal. ITs like an act of humility...............all this about givin your good deeds n taking good deeds is just misguided talk amongst ppl

so plz dont stop doing this seva .................

Guru Arjun Dev Ji himself cleaned the and dusted the shoes of the sangat, so your basically saying that guru ji was doing a "senseless act which goes against sikh principles"?????

Guru arjun dev ji was being humble and thankful for the sangat for traveling all the way from lahore to amritsar, more importantly guru ji was getting a point across.

where as some people these days are starting to believe in the 'taking the good deeds' crap. Now that is againt sikh principles.

though i shoulda made it clear before so i do apologise.

just like sikhs bow their head to the sri guru grant sahib to respect the divine knowledge, where these days cuz ppl lost the knowledge and reason why they bow their head to gurbani, rather now moorakhs startin to believe that theyll get power and naam soley from bowing to the sri guru grant sahib like an idol rather then reading, understanding and reciting the gurbani.

all this about givin your good deeds n taking good deeds is just misguided talk amongst ppl

Not just talk, people actualy BELIEVE it.

thats the problem