Shoe House Sewa

<<< Could it be the shoes are at the front of the temple and everyone sees how humble these folks are? The toilets are at the back, and involve hard dirty work? >>>>

Hahaha, only you could come up with such a cynical view like this one my friend.

Could it be the shoes are at the front of the temple and everyone sees how humble these folks are? The toilets are at the back, and involve hard dirty work?

could it be that you may be wrong? and people do stuff but u just don't see it ?

140980[/snapback]

Possibly!

But has Bundha has pointed out it is a rather cynical comment on my part designed to get a response. :@

Here's a challenge, going slightly off topic, next time you are in the Gurudwara, have a look at how many people are doing whatever they are doing with the shoes (seems like a Hindu like ritual to me), and how many are cleaning the toilets.

Check how clean both are! :@

Possibly!

But has Bundha has pointed out it is a rather cynical comment on my part designed to get a response.

Here's a challenge, going slightly off topic, next time you are in the Gurudwara, have a look at how many people are doing whatever they are doing with the shoes (seems like a Hindu like ritual to me), and how many are cleaning the toilets.

Check how clean both are! 

Bhai Sahib my response was in my question :@ ...and the challege , I will pass on it....seems judgemental for me to go check whos doing what.. :@

Sewa can be done in many forms.

Recently we raised money for an orphanage in Mikindi, Tanzania.

My spare time is spent working with Alcoholics (especially from the Sikh community).

Not even my closest family and friends know about this.

To me rubbing a piece of cloth over some shoes is superferlous, and is designed to feed the ego, and to show others "oh look how humble Iam".

Going back to the toilets things, I always find one old Bjurg who can't really do much physical work cleaning the toilets, and I try to give a hand whever I can. Poor guy cant clean it properly (and I am hopeless at cleaning, as I seem to create more mess then there was at the start :@ ), while there are armies of people at the front cleaning shoes and rubbing them with magic cloth's (as if they were lanterns out of which Genies will appear), while others just brush them lighly............this army steadily grows , while the Bjurg in the back steadily declines.

Sorry to be cynical guys (but Bundha knows me quite well), I don't mean to offend.

Glad to read that you think something which guru ji himself participated in is 'designed' to feed the ego.

In one respect all seva could be deemed to be some sort of indication of 'look at me im humble' chaur sahib, langar, pathi, etc etc even you mentioning your works with alcoholics! But rather than what other people think of us while we do this stuff, its more important about what we are thinking while we do this seva.

yes some people will use seva as a way of appearing humble to impress others, dont you think guru ji is aware of such people? However there are also countless who will do ANY kind of seva will clean hearts and for the right purposes.

For some people's level doing any seva is beyond them, others will think that langar is too much, others will not be able to bring themselves to touch somebodies shoes, while other cannot clean mess from toilets. Everyone has their own seva stage, if you are on a higher one than the rest, then good for you, but that does that give you the right to mock them or question their integrity and devotion?

In any case the whole deal with the shoes and feet of the sadhsangat is to collect their dust. Dhoor. Guru ji mentions sangats dhoor countless times and the greatness of it. 'brushing' shoes is collecting that dhoor, some people will also clean the jhoreh, while others collect the dhoor and place it on their heads as the feet of the sadhsangat in whom guru ji resides are pavitar.

All gurmukhs have advised to do jhoreah di seva. So if you wish to do it, do your simran to control your hunkar and remember these feet are the feet of the premi's of vaheguru! how lucky one is to touch the dust of these feet.