Sarabloh

Trust1

Waheguru Ji...

Please correct me if i am wrong. i recently discovered that a SarabLoh utensil will never be jootha because when you cook in SarabLoh bhandey, you are removing a layer of iron which goes into your food.

i just wanted to know, are there any other reasons for keeping SarabLoh bibek, other than ensuring that there is no jooth?

Does it help you spiritually? does it have any other purpose?

please forgive me for my ignorance.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Ji d_oh.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaahiguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa! Vaahiguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Good source of iron - I am sure there are a few threads from before where Sarabloh has been discussed, as well as any spiritual effects of its use.. just search for it in the SS search engine.

kirpaa karke bhul chuk maaf karni Maharaj

Vaahiguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa! Vaahiguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Waheguru Ji...

Please correct me if i am wrong. i recently discovered that a SarabLoh utensil will never be jootha because when you cook in SarabLoh bhandey, you are removing a layer of iron which goes into your food.

i just wanted to know, are there any other reasons for keeping SarabLoh bibek, other than ensuring that there is no jooth?

Does it help you spiritually? does it have any other purpose?

please forgive me for my ignorance.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Ji  d_oh.gif

143431[/snapback]

The concept of jooth does not exist for someone who is a member of Khalsa. Being part of the khalsa means one is completely pure within, a purity which is achieved by the union of the sikh with his master. Such a purity can never be tarnished by mere physical means. The whole concept of jooth eminates from brahmnical teachings, that touching or even being near another makes one polluted. But Guru Nanak openly defied such baseless thinking by eating with the common people regardless of which religion or background they were from.

WIth regards to the SarabLoh bibek, this has no importance in Sikhi. The only conditions placed for a sikh on eating is to eat only that which is healthy for the mind and body. The kind of utensils used to eat the food has no bearing on this. It could be made of iron, aluminum, plastic, styrofoam, glass, none are regarded as better than the other. These serve as mere trays to hold the food. With advancing technologly the number of different forms and materials of which these plates, utensils come in is ever increasing, and a sikh should not worry about which of these he or she chooses to eat. All are equal.

With regards to ur specific questiosn about sarbloh utensils, the amount of beneficial inorganic nutrients ingested from the untensils themselves is not relevant for we get more than enought of the various metals, vitamins ions from the foodstuff themselves if we eat a healthy balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables. So sarbloh bibek has NO EFFECT on one's spirituality, nor does it serve any specific purpose. If one wishes to eat from sarbloh utenstils then by all means they can, but they shouldnt do so with a mindset that this is the proper or correct way for a sikh to eat, or that this method is better than ohter methods. SUch thinking is nothing short of following karam kaand.

If one is truly worried about food, utensils, jooth etc. then one has to go no further than gurbani itself to find the answer and cure to this problem:

Anidnu scu slwhxw scy ky gux gwau ]

Night and day, I praise the True One; I sing the Glorious Praises of the True One.

scu Kwxw scu pYnxw scy scw nwau ]2]

True is the food, and true are the clothes, of those who chant the True Name of the True One. ||2||

swis igrwis n ivsrY sPlu mUriq guru Awip ]

With each breath and morsel of food, do not forget the Guru, the Embodiment of Fulfillment

Remembering the Lord at all times is the True Bibek a Sikh should follow.

Sat Sri Akal:

^^ No...its called scientific study...someone in UK did a study to see if cooking in Sarbloh would provide an iron supplement to the diet...results were that it did.

143834[/snapback]

No one argues about this point. Obviously if one is regularly eating from utensils made from iron, it is common sense that over time some of the iron willl be ingested from the utensils. However, we get more than enough iron in our diet if we eat a healthy balanced diet.

The more important point of contention is the effect of using sarbloh utensils and their effect on the spirituality of the person. I will repeat my previous remarks, THAT THE EFFECT OF SARBLOH BIBEK ON ONES SPIRITUALITY IS NIL. If there is any effect on the user, it is all in the person's head. The effects of the simple power of suggestion are often overlooked. It is this power of suggestion by which most magicians operate (e.g. david copperfield). THe mind of most people is like that of a child -- ready to believe and accept as truth whatever its fed. But the Guru has repeatedly stressed the importance for man to walk away from this mindset and employ a bibek budhi, e.g. discerning intellect based on logical thinking. Only then can we understand the true meaning of spirituality.

Guest A Singh.

I think that it is not possible to pass judgement on what the spiritual benefit of a Rehat holds until one has any spirituality themselves; ie a solid Jeevan with Pukka Amritvela, and many, many hours of Naam Abhiyaas and extra Bania on a daily basis. Until then we should refrain from condeming a particular Rehat as "spiritually useless" or it is hypocrisy on our own part.

I think that it is not possible to pass judgement on what the spiritual benefit of a Rehat holds until one has any spirituality themselves; ie a solid Jeevan with Pukka Amritvela, and many, many hours of Naam Abhiyaas and extra Bania on a daily basis. Until then we should refrain from condeming a particular Rehat as "spiritually useless" or it is hypocrisy on our own part.

Well said Bhai Sahib.