Sikhs Versus Muslims

Sody

Dear SikhSangat,

Writer/performer Sody Singh here inviting fellow brothers and sisters to present their ideas and thoughts on a new BBC Radio4 programme to be developed later this year which I will be co-presenting with a Muslim colleague on the turbulent history of Sikhs and Muslims.

It's a sensitive topic but an interesting one which will shed light on the myths and realities of Sikh and Muslim communities in the UK.The programme will not be told by experts but those in the community (both Sikh and Muslim).

From historic Muslim-Sikh tensions in Mogul times to the riots in Slough (UK) in 1997, the two communities seem to have been at odds. And yet in the Britain of the 1950s -1970s, Asians were just happy to meet another Punjabi speaking family. Religion did not come into it.

I would welcome your thoughts on the programme and any suggestions that you may have on historical events, potential interviewees and topics which should and should not be discussed. Your own experiences of Islam and Muslim interactions will also be appreciated.

As always, I look forward to your comments.

Kind regards,

Sody

http://www.sody.co.uk

Sody

Please make sure that Sikhs in the UK are not misrepresented and do let us know when the documentary will br broadcast. But I admire your bravery - this is a very very volatile subject that will provoke passions, especially these days in the UK.

147683[/snapback]

Don't worry Prem, as a fellow Sikh who wants to promote his religion and culture, misrepresentation will be doing myself as much harm as my community. That's why I agreed to do it as opposed to some BBC jounalist to ensure we had a fair say.