Why Do We Cover Our Head?

Guest no knowledge

Covering the head is a sign of respect for Guru Sahib hence why we do it when we go Gurdwara

Also it gives us a unique identity – hence why it is covered by dastaars etc

Also I read it helps maintain the spiritual energy you accumulate during bani/simran by keeping it around you and not letting it escape, covering your head for simran helps to protect the crown centres of the head. Covering your head creates a sort of filter that keeps incoming light energy from overwhelming the delicate centres of the head.

End of the day though kesh are very important for Sikhs and in order to look after them and protect them its’ important your head is covered – no matter what you’re doing be it cooking, sleeping, working etc also in the Amrit sanchaar you are told your head must be kept covered at ALL times so it is mandatory for Khalsa Sikhs.

You should practice keeping your head entirely covered one week and not the next, see the difference for yourself.

several reasons...:

Our Guru is "Shahe Shaahan Shah"... the king of kings.. dastar in on aspect represents a crown.. we are Guru Jee's children, therefore we should alwayz wear our crean (dastar)...

Khalsa must be tyar bar tyar at all times (inwardly -- rehat; and outwardly -- bana).. Dastaar is a part of the Gursikh Bana... for example... if by any chance we are called into battle, we must be ready to fight at any given time... can't be sittin there with ur hair out...

Protection... wearing a dastar helps protect 2 things.... your head.. and ur kesh... if you were to get hit in the head for any reason your head would be protected against the blow (or would drastically decrease the amount of damage it could do).... also... it would help prevent any beadbi done to the kesh... if u had ur hair our all the time, ur inviting somebody to come and do beadbi i.e. cut it... also, it could get caught in a door or something...

Sign of respect and humility... we cover our heads when we are in Gurughar... why not have it when we are in the outside world?... we should alwayz be ready for darshan of Guru Jee...

Science.... it is scientifically proven the wearing a dastar is beneficial to your head (i dunno the exact science.. but it has somethin to do with 'cranial' somethin something... hehehe... )

Identity... Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, “My Sikh will be recognized among millions”...Dastar is what distinguishes us from the rest of the world...

a famous quote.... "no crown, no king; no turban, no singh" :TH:...

i'm sure there are several others... but hopefullly u get the jist of it :lol:

... this begs the question... why NOT cover ur head? :nihungsmile: :e:

From a purely Historical Perspective the wearing of the Turban has always been associated with Wisdom, Leadership, Royalty.

The people who make up present day Sikhs i.e. Tarkhans, Jatts, Lubana's, Saini', Khambho's etc were not permitted to wear a turban because they were consider uncouth and low castes....they lacked wisdom, leadership qualities or signs of Royalty.

However, Guru Gobind Singh Ji took this symbol or crown and placed it on his Sikhs head and said from today onwards you will bow down to no man, and be the Wise, the Leaders and the Royalty. The title Sardar for a Sikh has come out of this too, because the Sardar was associated with the turban.

I think Guruji saw it as a means to uplift the downtrodden. Ofcourse the fact Guru Gobind Singh ji gave mere peasants, the symbols of Royalty infuriated the local Rajputs, Hill Raja's and Nawabs, who saw the wwearing as the turban as their sole right. The result of this (an many other reasons), was continual battles with Sikhs.

The other reason stated above are equally valid.